side by side

antarmike

Correct me if i am wrong but this is how i think it is powered, it has the V12 Meteor for main drive, a RR B80 for powering the winch mechanism, and a Morris engine (not sure what engine it is) for running the generator etc.

Would i be correct in thinking the morris donkey engine should be running all the time, providing power and heating up the coolant, and does the coolant system have a heat exchanger for heating the transmission oil?

Just the one we have seen only runs its V12, and its all a bit pop bang and judder when it moves.

Adam, see post 9 on this thread, I think you are trying to combine the mk1 and mk2.

Adam,

just about right. Cent ARV2 has a Meteor for main engine, RR B80 for winch generator, the winch itself being electrically driven and a Morris 10 engine for auxiliary generator. The aux gen engine is standard in all Cents, it's purpose being to provide battery charging when the main engine is not running.

The main engine and the aux gen do share a cooling system but it is only circulated by the main engine IIRC. The transmission oil does not even have a cooler.

The winch engine is entirely independant of the main engine and shares nothing in the way of systems.

Adam,

just about right. Cent ARV2 has a Meteor for main engine, RR B80 for winch generator, the winch itself being electrically driven and a Morris 10 engine for auxiliary generator. The aux gen engine is standard in all Cents, it's purpose being to provide battery charging when the main engine is not running.

The main engine and the aux gen do share a cooling system but it is only circulated by the main engine IIRC. The transmission oil does not even have a cooler.

The winch engine is entirely independant of the main engine and shares nothing in the way of systems.

Aha! knew it was something like that, wasnt too sure which vehicle the Morris engine was applicable to. I did think the winch was mechanical drive though, given the engine used to drive it, using a Saladin/Stolly/Sarrycans engine to run a generator is pretty impressive!

So thats 24 cylinders spread over 3 petrol engines all running at once to carry out its recovery function, and people think running a Main Battle Tank is heavy on fuel!!

So thats 24 cylinders spread over 3 petrol engines all running at once to carry out its recovery function, and people think running a Main Battle Tank is heavy on fuel!!

Not quite, when winching, you only need to run the winch engine and you wouldn't normally need to run the aux gen if the main engine is running. The ARV did have an extra fuel tank in the front of the vehicle though so it certainly used a lot of fuel.

Often referred to as Chieftain :-D. Were most not converted to ARRVs, and what made it better than Challenger?

Challenger is obviously better, I meant Cheftain was better than its predecessors mentioned already in the thread, and I would say it was better than Cent or Conk because it was available with an Atlas Hydraulic crane.

AtlasCheiftainARV.jpg

Edited by antarmike

• 5 weeks later...
really? we're too :-D revised and vacum-packet?^^

I've heard these engines are still quite valuable?:shocked:

have you a cent??:-D

Hi,

I do not have a Cent, but these Rolls Royce engines can be converted to fit other vehicles. I sold mine to someone who has converted it to use in his Saladin. Some parts have to be exchanged on the engines, they were built to be adaptable for different purposes.

Do you have these engines yourself?

I myself do not I'm only 14 but my father and a friend have got a small military museum . on the cent spare parts have it a v8 winch engine ^^and 4 rolls royce meteors. for de cent .

http://www.militaermuseumwildegg.ch ---> The photos are not exactly new, and there not are many vehicles on it we have much more

sorry for my english:S

I myself do not I'm only 14 but my father and a friend have got a small military museum . on the cent spare parts have it a v8 winch engine ^^and 4 rolls royce meteors. for de cent .

www.militaermuseumwildegg.ch ---> The photos are not exactly new, and there not are many vehicles on it we have much more

sorry for my english:S

Hi Centi521,

Thank you for the link to your father's museum, a very impressive collection. I would be interested to see other vehicles that he has.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

my view is i vote for the conqueror,having worked on both from mechs point of view the conq is a lot easier to work on as more room and the design side is better than the cent and the actuall driving side of it is better but all machines have their own plus and minusses, hopefully our conq will be running again soon

014.jpg

007.jpg

047.jpg