Does anyone know this Antar??

Lord Burley

One of my mates over in Sports car world has always had a fascination with Antars.And this one in particular.Pic was taken at the Enfield Pageant of Motoring and the owner was John Presswood.Does he still own it??.Is the Antar still about.

thornycroft_antar1.jpg

Awaits the arrival of Antarmike.

Edited by Lord Burley

John Attlee is Earl Attlee, His other title is the Viscount Prestwood. He is a peer by virtue of his Grandfather being Clement Attlee the immediate post war Labour Prime Minister, but he sits in the Lords for the Conservatives. He is also a Major in the T.A.

He is the only civilian owner of this Antar, I think I am right in saying he bought it directly from Ruddington, ran it for a while as a Petrol ballast tractor, but has since re-engined it with a Rolls 305 (or 290 / Eagle something or other). And now has it in the guise of a fifth wheel tractor.

atlee.jpg

Edited by antarmike

09-11-2008194422.jpg

And as a fifth wheel tractor. Note that it has had the rear winch rollers removed. The winch rollers are different on the Ballast tractor and the Artic Mk2 , but I can't remember which it was built with. I seem to remember it was originally An Artic, and John fitted a Ballast Body. That is probably why it no longer has its fifth wheel style winch rollers...(Belvoir Castle steam Rally)

Edited by antarmike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
One of my mates over in Sports car world has always had a fascination with Antars.And this one in particular.Pic was taken at the Enfield Pageant of Motoring and the owner was John Presswood.Does he still own it??.Is the Antar still about.

thornycroft_antar1.jpg

Awaits the arrival of Antarmike.

the antar will possibly be coming up for sale sometime in the future when we get it back

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...