Be safe!

andrewroberts.1953

Over the weekend, a jeep was in a road traffic accident in here in Devon. it was struck from behind on a slow road, on a nice sunny day, in full daylight. both the driver and the passenger were very badly hurt. Both had to be flown to hospital, and have very extensive injuries.

we all drive slow (by modern standards) vehicles, which are painted to make them as invisable as possible. We also wear clothes which are designed to blend into the background.

As we were told on driver training;

"Turn your lights on for every journey, be seen and be safe".

And please carry and wear a hi-vis jacket if you get out on a road or layby. I have seen a couple of near fatal accidents were someone camo clad was run over in a layby!

Very sad to hear about this.

We've had discussions on here before about L.E.D. lights (although if only rear side lights in use perhaps they would not have made much difference in this case?).

The use of small amber flashing L.E.D.s was mentioned - perhaps these could have made a difference?

I'm always conscious of the truly abysmal illumination put out by the standard WW2 U.S. rear light cluster, and news like this convinces me they are no longer safe. I think Jessie the Jeep showed us how he adapted his units to take L.E.D.s - time to take the plunge I wonder?

Edited by N.O.S.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

ON the subject of LEDs the buses in london have them,if the sun is on them ,or if you are close and slightly to one side,especially brake lights,you cant see them.I dont think we should get to worried about this people are running into the back of things all day long,regardless of the weather,or how good the illumination.they could of been in a modern car,and we wouldnt of heard about it.Lets hope they make a speedy recovery.I have been aproached by vehicle owners at shows,who ask what the ruddy hell you got under the bonnet of that champ you shot past us.The truth is i may of been doing 55mph,they were doing 40mph in a line making no allowance for other road users.the vehicles in question are capable of cruising at the same speed.I think all of us need to bear in mind whats going on around us,we are the odd ones out on the rd so need to maybe pull over and let people by,you never know the one behind you maybe trying to get to hospital where a relative is, due to an accident.i have found that country lanes are the worst,the locals know them and travel faster than you or i would on the same rd.

ON the subject of LEDs the buses in london have them,if the sun is on them ,or if you are close and slightly to one side,especially brake lights,you cant see them.

Good point - I looked at a new budget range at an auto-elec. distibutor today, and noticed the very poor off-centre light emission compared to a certain expensive brand.

But whatever we can do to make ourselves more noticeable has got to help improve our chances.

Good point - I looked at a new budget range at an auto-elec. distibutor today, and noticed the very poor off-centre light emission compared to a certain expensive brand.

But whatever we can do to make ourselves more noticeable has got to help improve our chances.

Forget the LED clusters your right the ones on buses are useless. the thing is they save the engineers havinge to put down thier coffe cups and figure out how to use a screwdriver to change conventional bulbs. No matter how much illumation, signs, flashing handss or smoke signals some burke to busy texting or plucking eyebrows would still run into you.

Last week we had 3 days of commemorations.

2 Ebglish friends came over in a Jeep.

For safety I let them drive in front with my brother while I drove the Dodge with a signalpanel.

Its so hidious people can hardly miss it and tailgaters keep their distance...

I let the Jeep drive in front because the Dodge has a better chance if someone rear ends it.

At night I also wear a Hi-Vis vest.

In the pic its full width, now I wrap it around the tailgate. Fast and easy.

PaneelMedium.jpg

Better seen than bashed!!

Amen to that!! Right now the Stalwart has round reflectors on the mud flaps, tool and exhaust stacks (i.e. the extremities of the vehicle), amber rotating beacon at the back on the off-side and the diagonal striped refractive plate as carried by HGV's on the lower corners of the tailgate. Also runs on dipped headlamps and sidelights at all times

If some one is going to miss seeing that little lot then they deserve to impale themselves on the (bright red) Nato hitch!!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Our bus company now has the side lights permenatley wired to ignition, and expect the use of dipped headlifghts. The idea was a common sense one some years ago. Then the bean counters got frothy over the cost of bulbs, so all dark agin during the day. The result was in about three months acidents up 30% so we lit up again. If you can convince the money grubbers it is worth the extra cost it must work.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Heard on the radio today the EU want to make headlamp use compulsory in daytime. Nearly pranged the car laughing as the Swedes (SAAB/Volvo) did this as part of their safe driving attitude in the Seventies and the countries now in the EU complained about it so much it got dropped.......

Its not very green is it,all those lights and xtra energy being used earlier alternator failure ,more fuel being burnt,i think we should take them to the EU court for blatant disregard for the enviroment.:argh:

I watched this on Speed Cops or Cops that Go Quick or Fast Cop Community or whatever the BBC call the thing. It gets my blood pressure down before Question Time.. but here I go...:nono: OFF TOPIC.. that was scary. They must have been on PCP or Camp Coffee....amazons.

I've got an orange panel. Good idea Dutch corner. I will see about using mine. In Southend no one can hear you scream.

MB

I watched this on Speed Cops or Cops that Go Quick or Fast Cop Community or whatever the BBC call the thing. It gets my blood pressure down before Question Time.. but here I go...:nono: OFF TOPIC.. that was scary. They must have been on PCP or Camp Coffee....amazons.

I've got an orange panel. Good idea Dutch corner. I will see about using mine. In Southend no one can hear you scream.

MB

Only 'cos you've got all those Subaru's with the drain-pipe exhausts flying up and down the sea front!!!

Oh - and the Citroen Saxo's parked up by the pier with a boot full of amps that cost more than the car is worth all hammering away!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: