Anyone suggest an easy email provider?

fv1609

Can anyone suggest an easy email provider please? I fed up with spam although I preview everything on Mailwasher Pro before I download anything but it is tedious.

I don't want to change my service provider, but I want to discontinue using my email address with them. Is there anything cheap or free I can use with minimal hassle? I wanted to keep the old email running for a while & then when the new one is established pull the plug.

Thanks.

Edited by fv1620

Clive,

I have been using Anti Virus Gold (AVG) on my email. You still get all the spam etc, but it learns real quick what is junk and ditches it in its own folder...that is assuming you are using Outlook of course, and you get updates to it each night.

May be worth using rather than losing your current email address?

Mick

Mike

OK thank you. Is that a freebie or subscription based? Is it previewed or whatever gets past the filters then downloaded.

I have abandoned OE for Firefox & use Thunderbird as my browser, both seem to be easier to use & make feel I'm more in charge of things.

Mail Washer pro is quite good. There is stuff that is flagged up from a known database that you can delete straight away. Doubtful stuff is flagged up to delete & you can click on each to report it. I derive some satisfaction in reporting it knowing that it will more quickly end up on everyone elses blacklist.

The problem is that anyone who has not contacted me before seems to always end up in the doubtful pile & unless I preview each message albeit it briefly they can get blacklisted & deleted.

Google mail, I have used this for years, since the start when it was Gmail, never had more that a couple of spams, it's free and you never have to sort out what emails to keep as you get tons of storage. I even rout my old Freeserve email account through it, Freeserve gets loads of spam, when it comes to me through Gmail there is none!

Works for me.

Used Firefox from the start also, not viruses, ever.

Ok thanks both. I don't quite understand how I can route my freeserve address through it. I went on to their, site lots lots of fancy things like making labels! But couldn't find how it would work in practice if I want to use my existing freeserve email. Couldn't find any FAQs that covered that.

Clive, you need to keep your old email account running as some banks and secure web sites won't accept any free accounts.

To get mail from other accounts after you've installed Googlemail, click on settings top rh of screen and then click accounts then look for get mail from other accounts and follow instructions. you can set it to allow you to answer emails from the other account via Googlemail and the email will be sent as if it came from your other account and show that address on it.

Labels are great as you can group mail form various senders or subjects into searchable labels, very useful.

Edited by gritineye

Yes I would prefer to keep my existing email & just use google to acts as a filter. So if I send an email I don't have to route it through google, I just do it as normal?

But I assume all emails are received via google as a sort of proxy. Does that cause problems when a bank mails me as it has to go to google first or does that not matter as the bank doesn't know it is going through google?

Sorry for being slow, once I have done it I'm sure it will be obvious. But just want to make sure I'm not getting involved without something I might regret.

Clive,

Googlemail will act as a front end for your existing email, just like a mail program such as Outlook. You can use googlemail to send email with your existing account, any mail which goes to your current address will go to your googlemail account, because it checks your mail for you, it downloads the messages then sorts the spam.

Chris

Clive,

yes AVG is free (although they do have premium one you can pay for).

It also keeps an eye on IE to block or warn about sites that seem untrusted.

Don't have any trouble with new people sending me email, so the spam filters seem more intelligent than most.

I am always wary of strong spam filters that I do not control, as like you say some legit emails could be blocked and you would not know about it.

http://www.avg.com/download-trial

Mick

OK everyone I was just about to have a google at it, but Daniel as I have Thunderbird I might try that. Didn't realise it had a mail bit to it.

Mailwasher was fine but it takes such a long time if you have to watch all the spam on preview & watch it get deleted again.

PS Mick I see AVG do a 30-day trial so might try that if all else fails.

Clive,

actually they do a free, unlimited version. I have been using it for a couple of years now (in previous versions)

http://free.avg.com/

Mick

Good lucjk whichever direction you go.

As a bit of useless info, the company I work at gets almost 1Million emails a day, we block over 96% of those as spam and virus.....sobering thought!

I use Gmail (or Google Mail) extensively and as other say it worls well. You can access the mail from within what ever e-mail client you use by setting up an IMAP account (as opposed to the more usual POP one).

Advantage there is you get both the Google spam filters working AND the AVG one is you have it installed. As I do!!

Neil I got your google invite & am very tempted. But know you've spoilt it by mentioning setting up an IMAP, which sounds rather scary. I hoped I could just slide in the google thing without having to do much fiddling.

I have emailed Mailwasher to see if the known spam from their database can be blocked without me having to download the preview & then sit & watch it being deleted when I press the button.

Neil I got your google invite & am very tempted. But know you've spoilt it by mentioning setting up an IMAP, which sounds rather scary. I hoped I could just slide in the google thing without having to do much fiddling.

I have emailed Mailwasher to see if the known spam from their database can be blocked without me having to download the preview & then sit & watch it being deleted when I press the button.

Not a problem clive - you can use the web browser to read the gmail stuff on-line. Setting up the IMAP is dead easy though - as simple as the POP one you did for the freeserve account.

Here's the instructions:

Thunderbird 2.0

Note: If you're using an older version of Thunderbird, we highly recommend upgrading to version 2.0.

To set up your Thunderbird client to work with Google Mail:

1) Enable IMAP in your Google Mail account.

2) Open Thunderbird and select Tools > Account Settings.

3) Click Add Account.

4) Select the Email account radio button and click Next. The Identity screen appears.

5) Enter your full name in the Your Name field. Enter your full Google Mail email address (username@googlemail.com) in the Email Address field and click Next.

6) Select IMAP as the type of incoming server you are using. Enter imap.googlemail.com in the Incoming Server field.

7) Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.googlemail.com and click Next.

gmail_77662a_engb.gif

8) Enter your Google Mail username (including @googlemail.com) in the Incoming Username and Outgoing Username fields and click Next.

gmail_77662b_engb.gif

9) Enter a name for your email account in the Account Name field and click Next.

10) Verify your account information in the dialogue box and click Finish.

11) Select Server Settings from the folder list below your new account.

12) Update the Port value to 993.

13) In the Security Settings section, select SSL from the Use secure connection options.

14) Select Check for messages at startup and Automatically download new messages

15) Click Outgoing Server (SMTP) in the folder list

gmail_77662c_engb.gif

16) Select the smtp.googlemail.com (Default) entry from the list and click Edit. The SMTP Server page appears.

17) Enter smtp.googlemail.com as the Server Name and set the Port to 587.

18) Select Username and password and enter your Google Mail username (including @googlemail.com) in the Username field.

19) Select TLS from the Use secure connection radio buttons and click OK.

20) Click OK to save your changes and exit the Account Settings dialogue.

gmail_77662d_engb.gif

* Did you click 'Save Changes' after enabling IMAP in Google Mail? To ensure that Google Mail can communicate with your mail client, make sure that you click Save Changes on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings tab.

I heard a debate re Gmail the other day. Apprently , somewhere in the small print of the terms & conditions, Google scan any E mail you send for key words then send you adverts.

You may be right. I didn't like their Terms of Service clause 11, especially 11.2 which seems to suggest anything in your emails can be used by them for whatever purpose.