Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry - late 1950's BD

Deuceman

I would assume at that time they were operating as the Divisional Anti-Tank Regiment for the 43rd Wessx Division. As such they were equiped with Archers and later Charoteers.

Insignia would have consisted brass RWY (small pattern) titles and Divisional patch. Not sure if they wore collar insignia as well.

If you have a serious interest I can let you have the contact details of the Regimental archivist.

Take a look in the Regimental history to confirm or do a search on the web.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this.

Not aware that they had Archers or Charioteers at that time. Daimler Armoured Cars and Dingo's yes. Presume they had already started their armoured recce role with this kit?

Presume Brass RWY (small pattern) titles would have been worn at the base of the epaulettes?

Would the Divisional flash have been the Wessex Dragon, gold on blue?

Had they worn collar insignia, what would these have been?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Neil

This web site gives 1958 as the date when they became a wheeled Recce Regiment.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/heritage-yeomanry

Collar insignia would have been small versions of the cap badge.

They were also part of an armoured brigade during this period based in Bristol. The badge consisted of a red stags red on either white or green backing. There is a well known picture of Profumo handing over the first Saladin to the regiment in the easly 1960's. The crew are wearing stags head badge.

If you want the e-mail address of the regimental archivist send me a private e-mail.