Landrover 101.

Poptopshed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a 101 come into work for tires. Been converted to auto and had power steering. Drove lovely. :-D

What tyres did you manage to sell him then? Bit difficult to find tyres for a 101 so could be interested in a set. Would prefer original 900x16 Bar grips.

The only current tyre we have available is slightly smaller than the original 900x16. Its a 255/85r16 Bf Mud. Looks a bit too small on a GS but will work well offroad. :-D I am currently annoying our buyer as there is a company in Holland that can supply remoulds in the same pattern as the curent army Michelins but as yet he wont listen.

Bar slicks!!!! Bad idea unless you want originality. There are other 9.00x16s out there occasionally like danubananas and petlas but they are no better than agricultural trailer tyres and not speed rated. The source of XZL remoulds is Airrcraftyres in Holland.

I've had 'new' s/h Continentals that badly cracked and am currently on XLs but one has gone lumpy and rest are cracking so new tyres for me next time. Problim is the 101 rim is narrow so choice is limited. Plenty of discussion on 101 forum. 255/85R16 is too small IMHO

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Mine were all lumpy on the carrawagon,and are on the champ have been for a while,doesnt seem to be getting any worse,any one know why?

Dunno what the history is but its going to be reme to keep company with Grumpys Militant and Garys Tiffy 432. :)

Going to have to be modelled on the second variant then. At least that crane is positioned to make a decent lift.

The first one is hanging out beyond the chassis rails and must need another outrigger. Even then the loading can't be huge or it'd surely distort the chassis. Probably wouldn't fit in with your Nokken winch just below either.

The second crane looks to be more work to copy but would certainly make a reasonable recovery truck. Not sure about the capacity then as the 101 is only rated at 1 ton payload that crane must take half of that.

Still I suppose if it's not used to lift on the road the vehicle can be overloaded when required.

I am going to base mine on a Forward repair team wagon. This has a bunk at the front and storage chests which make it great for use at shows and other weekends away.

The crane on the second one looks like its only to pick up the draw bar. So it should be able to tow the 4 ton limit the 101 was designed for (yep i know 3.5 ton on the road unless fitted with additional brake systems for the pedantics here.) The Crane in the second pic is up for sale. :cool2: It has been removed from the original 101.

From memory the one with the side mounted crane is one of two that was used for light dutys like engine and gear boxes on Landrovers? That has support legs under the side of the crane to stop it listing over with a load on the hook.

I am going to base mine on a Forward repair team wagon. This has a bunk at the front and storage chests which make it great for use at shows and other weekends away.

The crane on the second one looks like its only to pick up the draw bar. So it should be able to tow the 4 ton limit the 101 was designed for (yep i know 3.5 ton on the road unless fitted with additional brake systems for the pedantics here.) The Crane in the second pic is up for sale. :cool2: It has been removed from the original 101.

From memory the one with the side mounted crane is one of two that was used for light dutys like engine and gear boxes on Landrovers? That has support legs under the side of the crane to stop it listing over with a load on the hook.

Be good to see yours fitted out at some stage. Unsure what to do with interior on mine yet but it's a while off until I get to that stage.

Looking at the second crane again. Given the overhang of the jib, it can't possibly return the drawbar to it's mounted position on the nato hitch so the crane would have to support any load whilst towing. Presumably a front axle on a spectacle type frame. This would be some distance from the rear axle and impose a massive leverage on the towing vehicle. Can't really see it working except for very light loads on suspended tow. If it's for a rolling load then I accept it could be upto the full 3.5 tonnes.

Wouldn't it's real use to be to lift a vehicle axle onto a recovery dolly, (not shown) ?

As pop says, the REME Challenger wasn't meant for recovery, there was another version for that with a sort of lifting frame in the back. There is an outrigger on the side the crane is on but I read that they were still prone to bending the chassis so the kit would be moved to another chassis.

Never seen anything like that second crane, is it a civvy mod after disposal?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...