Landrover 101.

Poptopshed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Anyone know why Perkins abandoned diesling the rover v8?

As usual this sort of thing never works well,i believe this was the case,diesels need designing from scratch .Got some pics of that experiment somewhere.

Was it called the ice burgh project?

I knoiw on few occasions that was one option seriously considered for the vehicles. High, nasty handaling, ***** uncomfortable. Very cramped unreliable. They were selling for from £2500 to about £5000, dependent on condition. You still see them occasionaly in Shooting Times classifieds. Never tried one towing, but that apparently was a one off experince, once being far to much.

As usual this sort of thing never works well,i believe this was the case,diesels need designing from scratch .Got some pics of that experiment somewhere.

Was it called the ice burgh project?

Iceberg I think.

Pity it wasn't done properly could've been excellent in the Llama and of course the Range Rover.

Had to wait 20 years until BMW did the job to get a proper V8 diesel in the Rover Range.

Iceberg I think.

Pity it wasn't done properly could've been excellent in the Llama and of course the Range Rover.

Had to wait 20 years until BMW did the job to get a proper V8 diesel in the Rover Range.

I fancy that v10 diesel out of the VW now that would make a truck:cool2::cool2::cool2:

I wonder what TATA will use an updated version of a lister 3cyl.no musnt be unfair he didnt become one of the wealthiest men in the world by suppling crap,

Ive always been a fan of the big American diesel,s.The 6.2 GM unit as fitted to the Hummer,or the 5.9 Cummins,as fitted in the Dodge Ram,and now fitted in the Supacat Jackal.Not as refined as the V8 unit in the RR.But so much more purposeful.

Cummins are no good off road, end of story. I know of several people who have fitted the GM 6.2 in various different Land Rover models but they didnt work very well.

I beg to differ on the cummins engine.There are many owners in the states of the Ram,that are more than happy with the cummins.And it seems to be doing well in the Jackel.The GM unit in the LR is wasted to be honest.The main thing that killed it in the LR,was poor weight distribution,and its tendancy to eat transmission componants.

Cummins are no good off road, end of story. I know of several people who have fitted the GM 6.2 in various different Land Rover models but they didnt work very well.

Too big, too heavy and too much torque for a Land Rover transmission.

Also requires more cooling than you can get under a Range Rover bonnet so more likely overheating and head gasket problems.

Not too bad in vehicles that were designed to have them in though.

With the GM as you say the main problem was weight distribution, driven sensibly the transmission was OK. Cummins have never made an engine with low down torque which is vital for off road work, for on road use Cummins is an excellent engine.