Sherman Resto Started

mvdepot

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

Do you have any more info on the Detroit V6?

Was it really that bad to drive with? Would love to hear more from you on that if i could?

Drop me a PM please!

Many thanks

Alex

PM sent

Yes it was that bad ! Thinking about it some more it may have been a 6V71 but definately not turbo or 6V53.

David

I have driven a British Centaur with a V6 Detroit non turbo engine (a 6V92 I think) which was making a lot less than the original 375HP (600 in a Cromwell with identical gearing) and it was almost undrivable, there was simply not enough power to accelerate once you had changed up from 2nd.

David

Have also driven it - agreed not enough power, but better to have it running with something IMO, than going off to the scrap man... though I have no doubt this one wouldnt have done, knowing whose it was.

Tim

Edited by Packhow75

You could always try this:

I guess that does appear to be a rather horrendous cobble up :) but !!!..

I'd still rather see her out and about and running and being used looking like that rather than engine less and rusting in the corner of a scrapyard somewhere :)

I think it's great that so many have used ingenuity and have also been 'liberal' with their engine choice ....long may it continue ...at least you're getting them back out there and rolling :)

a wise man once told me there's "restorations" and then there's restorations, to fully restore a vehicle means to return it to it's original condition so no cheating on the engine, if you save £25k on the cost of the engine you will lose twice that on the final value due to it's non originality. having said that I personally don't have a problem with re engining a vehicle, it's horses for courses, do you want a show winner or something you can show !

i'm toying with the idea of fitting a mk4b meteor to the Churchill, it would be great to see the old girl overtaking a hellcat around the arena :D

rick

tim just had a thought about the "v" engine for your Sherman, I have noticed a few M109 Detroit power packs coming up for sale on milweb. they're 450 bhp, compact and used to power the m109 which weighs in at 27t so ideal for you.

how much you could pick one up for is another matter but I doubt it would be less than £2k.

rick

I'm a big fan of the Detroit diesel V8's, both turbo and non, a good running 8V71 has a fantastic sound, very compact and makes a GAA feel like a boat anchor....and parts are available world wide. In fact we are in the middle of a Sherman Detroit re- power now.