Sherman Resto Started

mvdepot

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J'aime les Francais, toujours les plaisanteries...

Looks like a picture of seats, a dynamo and some 'otherbits' to me mon ami.....

I do need the oil reservoir as fitted to a sherman with a radial engine, and all the linkage from the clutch pedal (i have the pedal but nothing else) all the way to the clutch release bearing (i have the bearing but nothing in between).

I can at last see some daylight at the end of the sherman rebuilding tunnel.

Amities

Ken

• 5 months later...

It's been a long time since we posted anything about the Sherman, but we are staggering on with it.

0 time engine has arrived, NOS gearbox, most of the turret traverse set up, pedals, dash board, prop shaft and some other smaller parts (thanks in part some fellow HMVFers who ahve gone out of their way to assist).

Still looking for a turret basket, all fuel tanks, fuel tap block/taps/connectors, clutch release bearing mounting bracket....

Ken

IMG00094-20110108-1400.jpg

IMG00096-20110108-1433.jpg

IMG00092-20110108-1359.jpg

IMG00093-20110108-1359.jpg

gearbox.jpg

Will it be ready for A&E 2012?

Good luck with the resto.

COME ON KEN!!

Get that engine in and that other grey thing - paint it green and get it to A&E 2012! I am wanting to get as many Shermans together in one place!

COME ON KEN!!

If only restorations were voice activated... If it is ready i'll bring it, should know more by the end of the year.

The D2 Cat is about to poke it's head out of the workshop any time soon, and will going with the Studebaker in the rough to Ponderosa for their maiden UK outings, the D2 having come from the US and the Studebaker from Australia.

Ken

It is the best i have come across so far Adrian, but the search goes on. If anyone wants to swap for the correct pattern, in serviceable condition, let me know, these will not be being fitted for a few months yet.

As an aside, your TW bolts are packed up with the Cletrac compressor for Paul. He said i could ship it all to him and he would sort out collection with you for the bolts, is that OK?

I am sorry it has taken so long, and i still have not unpacked everything yet, so the release bearings you said were there have not surfaced yet - but if they are there they will.....

Ken

More sherman news, the front seats have arrived

Ken,

Nice seats indeed. Was discussing the differences the other day when I dropped off this LVT4 seat at a Sherman restorer. I contributed it to be used on one of his Sherman restorations.

Regards,

Hanno

LVT 4 seat.jpg

Thanks Hanno. My primary interest in these was that they are A. Serman, and B. In good condition. All the others i had seen were in terrible condition. At least this way, i can install these and wait until i trip over the correct ones in due course. More pressing now is the clutch release bearing mount and the turret basket. Every step is getting us a step closer now though.....

Ken

Ken, that's fine thanks. Paul has a couple of engines here so no doubt a big swap will happen soon!

I'm still very happy to make you a basket, I had another in the other day to be refurbished so have five here in various states at the moment......

I can make you the parts for you to assemble or sub-assemblies if you'd rather. Can take payment other than monies too....;)

• 3 years later...

a grand project and one I somehow missed completey in the past years :( ........

A really cracking looking Sherman too . :D

..I'd love to think I could attempt such a project...... but the cold reality of the dedication required... plus the size and manner of the workshop facilities required.... then there's the kit and gear needed to undertake such work ..

...... then there's the not too small a matter of just how fat a wallet you'd need to buy her in the first place never mind how much you'd need to set about the renovation and also of finding all the bits makes me go all a quiver! :)

Brings me to a random thought though ........I can appreciate from this thread and others like it that an enormous amount of work goes on behind the scenes to source all the bits needed......

regards the engines which I presume must be getting rarer and more expensives as each year goes by ?????

I know some folk out there have taken this route when it comes to the whacking great big petrol engines fitted to most WW2 trucks so........(only asking not meaning to stir any feathers regarding 'authenticity' etc)

Wouldn't it be easier to use something modern such as big Volvo or Scania truck engine or maybe a big agricultural tractor engine in place of an original Sherman lump ?

I'd have thought it would be easy enough to connect up with the 'remote' gearbox in a Sherman just so long as you could get the 'lump' of the beast into the engine bay ?

Fuel economy would be better with a big modern diesel (?).....

..plus way more power maybe ???

...........and a modern engine would be easier to maintain too???

So.. :)...

Tell me......is it just because of the 'authenticity' that not many folk seem to have gone down this route ?

and once again ..a really seriously gorgeous Sherman :) absolutely loving the double 'duck bills' :)

Does anyone know how many horse power that Deutz engine makes ? Anything much less than 400 gross in a Sherman makes it really rather hard work, plus the gearing is more or less 1000 RPM = 10 MPH in top gear so you need quite a high revving engine to equal the 24mph standard top speed. I'm talking about RPM at max HP, not max possible RPM. Also it seems odd that the Sherman with the Deutz was originally fitted with a Detroit twin set, which are still comparitively available and sound great. As Adrian Scott proved you can also hot rod them with modern rocker covers and 500 HP if you want.

I must admit that I find the M18 with the truck engine rather endearing but again I expect it is rather down on power and speed. Anyone know where it is?

I have driven a British Centaur with a V6 Detroit non turbo engine (a 6V92 I think) which was making a lot less than the original 375HP (600 in a Cromwell with identical gearing) and it was almost undrivable, there was simply not enough power to accelerate once you had changed up from 2nd.

David