Sherman Resto Started

mvdepot

Well the sun shone for a few mins last month so we decided to set about our Sherman resto!! First the false floor had to be cut out and then the Barrel and Mantle! closely followed by the comanders hatch!,next will be the turret then an appointment with mr shotblaster in the stubble field follwed by a long sleep in the shed over winter ,we need many interior parts so if anyone has a lead or a shed full of Sherman bits and pieces please get in touch ,cheers

Adam

Photo-0028.jpg

Photo-0030.jpg

Photo-0037.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this seems like a massive task! I'm sure you know to get in touch with our members Jim Clark & Adrian Barrell who both own and restored their Sherman?

Mate, I've merged the threads and fixed the broken IMG links.

Remind me where this tank came from? What caught my eye were the grousers - track wideners to reduce ground pressure and the adverse effects of driving through mud. ISTR first fitted to M4A3E2 Cobra Kings, but thereafter retrofitted to earlier marks (like this).

The Germans did the same thing, fitting wider Ostketten (East Tracks - tracks for the Eastern Front) to Mark 3s and Mark 4s. Panthers and Tigers had wide tracks designed in. Indeed Tiger had to switch to narrow tracks to fit on a train.

I'm sure Adam knows and will tell more but, it does not have grousers, those bolt onto the surface of the track. This is an M4 E9. The E9 being post war spaced out suspension which was done to allow the fitting of extended end connectors on both sides of the track rather than just the outside as often seen during the war. The point was to lower ground pressure as you say. Grousers increase traction and were only fitted on flat rubber track. Anyone who saw my Sherman at Ramsbury can see why they might be needed! The steel chevron has the grouser as part of the link.

In fact, Adams tank is a rare, M4 composite hull but with small hatches, that makes it one of the first M4 composites and even rarer!

Adam, I see what you mean about the insides....... even the bulkheads are gone.

I'm sure Adam knows and will tell more but, it does not have grousers, those bolt onto the surface of the track. This is an M4 E9. The E9 being post war spaced out suspension which was done to allow the fitting of extended end connectors on both sides of the track rather than just the outside as often seen during the war. The point was to lower ground pressure as you say. Grousers increase traction and were only fitted on flat rubber track. Anyone who saw my Sherman at Ramsbury can see why they might be needed! The steel chevron has the grouser as part of the link.

In fact, Adams tank is a rare, M4 composite hull but with small hatches, that makes it one of the first M4 composites and even rarer!

Adam, I see what you mean about the insides....... even the bulkheads are gone.

I thought the grousers didn't look quite like I remembered them. That explains it. And I did wonder how come there was space for grousers on the inside. All explained. Cheers.

She is indeed an M4E9 Hybrid built originaly in 1943 cast front and plate rear end!!,small hatches and only one hatch in the turret .It probabley was upgraded to E9 at the end of the war and it appears to have little or no wear apart from the damage that has been done when she was made into a childrens playground attraction in California.We aquired her about 18 months ago and recieved her about 4 months ago .She has a claim to fame to shipped out to Iceland and used as a prop in Flags of our Fathers!! will have more pics soon this one was taken at Longbeach CA USA when she was waiting for the boat ,cheers

IMG_0239.jpg

Edited by Jack
Repair link so image works

We will do problem !! ,here she is in Natural habitat just waiting for a panther to come over the hill !! well waiting for the turret to come off and for the shotblaster to arrive!!

Photo-0054.jpg

Edited by Jack
Fixed picture link :)

No they charge you 6% of the price you paid for it !! that goes for all vehicles of historic value !! the one to watch is the storage charge at the docks in the UK that was charged by the ton and gave us a nasty kick in the butt LOL,cheers

Adam

I believe they had some kind limited time special permit allowing it out and then back in!!!,un bolting turret on sunday all going well if it comes off will post pics ,cheers

Adam

Adam - do you think you can talk us through how you found/came across the Sherman...it sounds a fasinating story.

Well its not a long story we saw it advertised on the Dodge forum first and then on G503! i got some pics of it via email and that was it we all fell in love LOl!!!,the hard part was the shipping we have brought plenty of jeeps and containers from the USA but never a tank !! two shipping companys tried and got nowhere by this time we had got her to the docks and then had to put it into storage until GFS did the job for us and she was on her way!.

• 2 weeks later...
I do feel sorry for the Tanks at Utah beach - wonder if they should be pulled off for a complete restoration in time for the 65th?

not sure about the tanks at Utah but when I was there a couple of weeks ago the halftrack had a letter taped to the side of it from the local mayors office stating that it was in a dangerous condition and that it must be made safe which judging by the amount of rot will probably mean removal and cutting up

Nigel