Just had 4 Grumman Avengers fly over the office

Jack

What?

The Avenger is the big radial engined torpedo bomber with a gunner behind the pilot. Four. Have you been on the mushrooms again?

Just one of Anne's nettle pies :cry:

Seriously guys, there was 4 of them - could hear them a mile off and then flew in formation over the office :shocked:

are you really sure jack, could they possibly have been harvards as there used to be a display team using these :cool2:

regards graham

Oh that could make sense Graham and cross referencing with Steves images it could add up but some else who saw them called me and said to me 'did you see and hear those Grummans'......

:???

JB

Blimey this thread has really made me laugh - Especially Snapper's initial disbelief - In fact I'm still laughing out loud right now as I type - Magic Mushrooms, whatever next!

Jack, their is more chance of a four-ship formation of Hillman Avenger's flying over your office than a formation of four WWII Grumman Avengers.............!

The last one flying in the UK was owned by a guy who kept it at North Weald, just off the M11/M25 motorway junction. Every year he used to bring it to Rougham Airshow in Suffolk and I did a lovely photo shoot with my Command Car alongside it three or four years ago. Unfortunately they are all on 35mm slides so can't reproduce on here easily.

I'm sure this was the aircraft sold to Europe as mentioned earlier.

Speaking of Rougham airshow - We did a nice set-piece around a P-51 there on Sunday - and yes, I do need to get some WWII flying goggles to complete the scenario!

clivecopy.jpg

Photograph taken by (and copyright of) Alan Waugh

Can anyone stump up a few quid for our illustrious (and now titled) leader to attend an aircraft recognition course!

OK OK - I am just consulting my Latin dictionary to see what poke off is in English. :coffee:

- anyway, at least I know what a flipping Avenger looks like as FOUR flew over my office on Tuesday. :readpaper:

nil desperadum mon brave, carpe diem, sic transit gloria and ubique.

Now I know what your theme music will be. We'll have to get one of the

ladies to do the Mrs Peel bit, but I suppose Enigma looks a bit like Joanna Lumley. I suppose you could have a passing resemblance to Gareth Hunt, which incidentally, is NOT cockney rhyming slang for Gareth Hunt. Poor bugger's corked it anyway.

Quo Vadis (the triple box set including Caroline played on the spoons).