Motorway Distances?

Poptopshed

Not a Military question but a stupid one which someone clever may be able to answer. :-D

On our trip back from Scotland we wondered, when they display distance signs at the side of the road where are they measured too? Signs give a place such as Birmingham then a mileage to it but where in Birmingham is measured to? We wondered if it was the center or the border of the county or some thing else? Any ideas?

not too sure about provincial towns but if you look on an AA map the distances shown are between the symbol of a circle with a vertical line coming down from it - this refers to junctions and town centres etc

I know with certainty that any distances to or from "London" are always with reference to the cross at Charing Cross - don't know the history behnind that however.

I have always wondered the same my self, I came to the conclusion that it was to the centre of said town/city. Interesting about London and Charing cross, is Charing Cross in the centre of London then? Sorry if that is a blonde question but I dont get out much :(

I had a quick Google before posting and the question had been asked regarding London and some said Charing Cross and other said it was Marble Arch?

In the RAPC when settling travel claims we used the distances as quoted from town centre to town centre as per the AA handbook held by every Pay Office.

As you say, when dealing with London, the centre was considered to be Charing Cross. Never heard of using Marble Arch: it's on the periphery of the CG zone ffs.

THE Charing Cross stands outside the train station across the road from Covent Garden. I'm not actually sure it is in the City.

Technically London is two cities: City of London and Westminster which just happen to have conurbated. Which is why each has its own Cathedral, Police Force - I mean service, etc. Charing Cross happens to lie at the centre of the conurbation.