C47 flight over Normandy - pictures

Just whilst they are all uploading to photobucket - I just wanted to introduce to God - during the week he is known as Pete Eakers - the man who put this all together for us.:bow:

God.jpg

They will be a report on the front page tomorrow but we can have a look at some of the pictures here.

It is always a great pleasure for me to meet up with HMVF members and I have always been pleased at how ‘normal’ we all are – there is always an exception but we are going to leave Degsy out of this for the time being…

Met up with Steve (Chappers) and members of his group and a great bunch of guys they are and I think Steve was only air sick once………….

I took over 600 pictures and 20 minutes of video – here are just a few pictures.

Jess has never flown before and he was the first one into the C-47.

c47.jpg

Jessgoingin.jpg

Chappers asking for his mum as he was nervous of flying....someone handed him a cuddley - he was alright after that.

Chap2.jpg

Chap1.jpg

The pilot asking us if we knew where abouts Normandy was - Pete helped him out by pointing to Blackpool and Jim 'Allied Forces' being asked to leave the cockpit after pressing buttons and pulling levers asking 'what does this do?'

Map.jpg

Jimcockpit.jpg

Banking around for Ste Mere Eglise and then SME.

BankingSME.jpg

Picture133.jpg

OK next batch - down over and along to Utah. Very empty there but my most favourite place in the whole of Normandy.

Utah1.jpg

Utah2.jpg

utah3.jpg

Point Du Hoc - a couple of weeks ago we were at Weymouth seeing where they left from and now we were flying above their objective

PDH.jpg

PDH2.jpg

You've cut me to the quick Jack:cry: but made up for it with the pics. How I wish I could have been with you, the places look so familiar but bring on strong emotions that I find difficult to cope with.

great pictures Jack and almost exactly the same as the ones I took when I did this flight from Jersey in may except mine have all the little scratches from the perspex windows showing on them and you are right about Utah it is a great place which is precisely why I am off there again in late august

Nigel

Had to take a picture of Champion - when the Becketts are on tour we always stop there...they do great cakes :coffee:

champion.jpg

Reckon Jess pretty much enjoyed his birthday present and some views of inside the C-47

Jessarrom.jpg

jesswindow.jpg

insidec47.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

knots.jpg

As you will read in the report we had to land at Biggin Hill to refuel

White cliffs of Dover

dover.jpg

biggin.jpg

departurelounge.jpg

We had to get on the plane in time but were being held up by someone who was in the little boys room.........

chappersholdingplaneup.jpg

Flying over London and look at the size of that clubhouse....

clubhouse.jpg

bankinglon.jpg

dome.jpg

parliment.jpg

londoneye.jpg

powerstation.jpg

Last lot and on the way back to Coventry...

Martin 'Baby Face' Hammond - asleep.....reckons he wasn't!

martinsleep.jpg

Was this the Time Team and some faint ridge and furrow..

timeteam.jpg

ridgeandfurrow.jpg

Some airfields - not sure where we were but my guess is Northhants region??

airfield2.jpg

airfield1.jpg

airfield12.jpg

And here we all are at Biggin Hill.grouppicture.jpg

A wonderful day out and please read the report on the front page and a massive thank you to Pete Eakers and Jim Clark. It was perfect.

Seeing Jess, reminds me. I must have looked the same at the age of about four years old, being allowed in to the cockpit of a Cambrian Dackots, flying jersey to London. Never forgotten, the smell of leather and oil , and all those dials, no LED then. ( God, I'm feeling old!)

So Jack, how did you enjoy the super smooth ride of the vomit comet (sorry, Dakota) ?

Hi NOS - I AM NOW TALKING TO YOU AGAIN :sweat:

I was fine as I have flown many many times but there were some that weren't so lucky....many a sick bag was full :cry:

The strange thing was that over the UK the DAK was bouncing all over the place but as soon as we got to France it was smooth as smooth :???:???:???

Well Jack read you craking report of the day and to be honest you have explained it just as it was, Super day out, Great weather and great company,you can't ask for more!!

Can I please post the special photo or would you like to vet it first as it's probably one of the best shots of the day.:-D

Well Jack read you craking report of the day and to be honest you have explained it just as it was, Super day out, Great weather and great company,you can't ask for more!!

Can I please post the special photo or would you like to vet it first as it's probably one of the best shots of the day.:-D

As an admin on the site I grant you permission to post! :yay::-D