Jungle Bug

gritineye

Hi Chris, because of the rarity I would have thought they would be virtually priceless.

Hence the ground anchor and chain round the back axle!

I suspect that if that one turns up again at Beltring this year the owner will soon find out about HMVF, if he hasn't already heard by then!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found a little bit more about these bugs, the top pic in my last post is not one of these, it is another failed prototype by another manufacturer.

The fourth one down is in fact a Standard Beverette, after the body had been hacked off a bit, can't remember where I found those pix but the info with them was wrong, it is a much bigger thing altogether!

That Beverette was later restored to it's original appearance by Cyril Groombridge, no doubt beavering away in the dingy Nissen hut he had for a workshop then!

The bottom two pix are of the very first two wheel drive prototype, hence grippy tyres on the rear only.

Here are a couple more pix, first and third with the proposed "Farmers General Purpose" :shocked: bodywork, looks like wood by the way the door hinges are screwed on? But registered for the road, and looks longer wheel base

The second looks like actual military testing, are they grinning or gritting their teeth? One of the six made had a Triumph Mayflower engine fitted and a bench front seat, the tyres are 7.50 x 10 smooth aero type that have been re-cut.

image0-26.jpg

image0.jpg

image0-27.jpg

• 2 months later...
Found a little bit more about these bugs, the top pic in my last post is not one of these, it is another failed prototype by another manufacturer.

The fourth one down is in fact a Standard Beverette, after the body had been hacked off a bit, can't remember where I found those pix but the info with them was wrong, it is a much bigger thing altogether!

That Beverette was later restored to it's original appearance by Cyril Groombridge, no doubt beavering away in the dingy Nissen hut he had for a workshop then!

The bottom two pix are of the very first two wheel drive prototype, hence grippy tyres on the rear only.

Here are a couple more pix, first and third with the proposed "Farmers General Purpose" :shocked: bodywork, looks like wood by the way the door hinges are screwed on? But registered for the road, and looks longer wheel base

The second looks like actual military testing, are they grinning or gritting their teeth? One of the six made had a Triumph Mayflower engine fitted and a bench front seat, the tyres are 7.50 x 10 smooth aero type that have been re-cut.[/quote

The first vehicle in the first set of pics was intended as Britains equivalent to the jeep. Also built by Standard it lacked front wheel drive and as large quantities of jeeps became available it was not needed.