Pig MOT exempt or not?

Adam Elkins

Question

Rang VOSA and they said no it was'nt. I told them exactly what it was, am i telling them the wrong thing?

Should i just say its a commercial truck and not an ambulance.

Adam, if she registered as an ambulance. She is nort exempt but, as an ambulance The vehicle reqiures a Class 4 MOT (CAR) REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT. You may also get tax emption as it an ESV. No London Congestion charge , No Dartford toll crossings, and blues and two's.

Number 30 is the category I'd tick.

I don't think a Pig could really be classed as an Ambulance.

When you get your V11 form for re-taxing does it say you need a HGV Test Certificate? If it does use the V112G form, if not don't bother.

This would all be much easier if VOSA / DVLA introduced a new testing category for privately owned commercials and military vehicles where they are still tested but don't have to be to the same standards as modern trucks covering 1000kms a week.

Regards

Richard

Adam, if she registered as an ambulance. She is nort exempt but, as an ambulance The vehicle reqiures a Class 4 MOT (CAR) REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT. You may also get tax emption as it an ESV. No London Congestion charge , No Dartford toll crossings, and blues and two's.

But all HIGHLY ILLEGAL and not to be recommended unless of course you're operating as an ambulance in which case it's fine.

Otherwise it's a plain old truck, regardless of the markings on the side and the kit on the inside. If it's not used professionally as an ambulance you're commiting fraud by registering it as such. The Dartford people will let you go 'cos they don't know any better but VOSA and the DVLA would have a field day.

Build date pre-Jan. 1960? over 3.5 tonnes GVW? = exempt (unless it's a bus, which it's not)

- Mike

Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 & C&U regs say no vehicle except an "Emergency" vehicle can be fitted with a blue light or anything resembling a blue light whether working or not. Among the many definitions of "emergency" vehicles we can find the following:

#3. Vehicles used for Ambulance purposes and fitted or adapted for the carriage of sick persons.

Interesting discussion here: http://www.ambulancepages.com/listings.php?country=1&cat=20

Edited by TooTallMike

Yes.

&

No, it's none of the Post Office's business. For your information the relevant category is #30 but you don't have to state this on the form. It's a self-declaration form which you simply sign to say your vehicle fits into one of the exempted categories.

- Mike

Adam the form is here:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v112g.pdf

When I had an an ambulance I used to know what follows off by heart to be ready when challenged! Although I realise there have been changes since then.

VEHICLES (EXCISE) ACT 1971 Sect. 4 Exempts ambulances from MVL Duty

MOTOR VEHICLES (CONSTRUCTION & USE REGULATIONS 1978

Regulation 13

“Ambulance means a motor vehicle which is specially designed and constructed (and not merely adapted) for conveying, as equipment permanently affixed to the vehicle, equipment used for medical, dental or health purposes”.

There was an enthusiast who took DVLA to court claiming his ambulance was indeed an ambulance even though it was not being used as an ambulance. Clearly if you modified it & used it to sell vegetables it is no longer an ambulance, but if it still is an ambulance it doesn't have to be used to carry casualties/patients to maintain its ambulance status.

Chorsley V Crown, Swansea County Court May 1986. Chorsley argued that a parachute is a parachute. It doesn't have to be functioning as a parachute to be a parachute. It doesn't cease to be a parachute because it is not falling out of the sky. The judge agreed with this view & awarded a refund of MVL Duty that had been paid unnecessarily & advised DVLA that they would be ill advised to appeal.

I don't want to hijack this thread for too much longer but I'd hate for anyone to read it and be mis-informed.

Relating to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED):

The law appears to have been clarified by the 1994 Vehicle Excise & Registration Act:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/Ukpga_19940022_en_1

Schedule 2 lists exempt vehicles and gives definitions of each type of vehicle:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/ukpga_19940022_en_8#sch2

The section dealing with ambulances & health service vehicles is as follows (format adjusted for clarity, highlighting is mine).

Please note sections 2(a) and 7(a) & (b).

6(1) An ambulance is an exempt vehicle.

(2) In sub-paragraph (1)“ambulance” means a vehicle which—

(a) is constructed or adapted for, and used for no purpose other than, the carriage of sick, injured or disabled people to or from welfare centres or places where medical or dental treatment is given, and

(b) is readily identifiable as a vehicle used for the carriage of such people by being marked “Ambulance” on both sides.

7 A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used or kept on a road by—

(a) a health service body (as defined in section 60(7) of the [1990 c. 19.] National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990) or a health and social services body (as defined in Article 7(6) of the [s.I. 1991/194 (N.I.1).] Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1991), or

(b) a National Health Service trust established under Part I of the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990 or the [1978 c. 29.] National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978 or a Health and Social Services Trust established under the Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.

8 A vehicle which is made available by the Secretary of State—

(a) to a person, body or local authority under section 23 or 26 of the [1977 c. 49.] National Health Service Act 1977, or

(b) to a local authority, education authority or voluntary organisation in Scotland under section 15 or 16 of the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978,

and which is used in accordance with the terms on which it is so made available is an exempt vehicle.

Edited by TooTallMike

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Slightly off topic,what do you register a DUKW as now,we once had to register them as Fishermans tractors when the rules changed many years ago.To much skulldugery going on get us all a bad name.:nono:

To much skulldugery going on get us all a bad name.:nono:

That's a very good point. At present, the word of certain clubs is accepted with regard to the aging of vehicles and generally speaking vehicles aren't examined. That could change, with owners having to pay substantial inspection fees if the DVLA thought we were not being truthful. It's easy enough to find out what the score is before you even buy any kind of HMV.

Edited by 6 X 6

The pre 1960, used unladen exemption is only for goods vehicles, is it not? A goods vehicle being a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage of goods. No mention of 'commercial'.

There are lots of examples in the Classes of vehicle exempted under Schedule 2 of the Goods Vehicles (Plating & Testing) Regulations 1988) that don't carry goods.... snow ploughs, mobile cranes, track lying vehicles, some PSV'S, breakdown vehicles.... the list goes on..

30. Motor vehicles first used before 1st January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailers manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen. For the purposes of this paragraph any determination as to when a motor vehicle is first used shall be made as provided in regulation 3(3) of the Construction and Use Regulations.

Doesn't mention goods or commercial, it just states Motor Vehicles