Pig MOT exempt or not?

Adam Elkins

Question

Yes, but the exemption I referred to, the pre 1960, used unladen is due to the age of the vehicle. The other classes are exempt by type and so is a bit of a red herring.

The GOODS vehicles (plating and testing) regulations are the underlying rules. If it applied to any motor vehicle, cars and jeeps would be exempt from testing. The regulations apply to goods vehicles over 3500kg gross and trailers over 1020kg unladen.

Slightly off topic, but just because a vehicle (over 3.5 ton) is MOT exempt you can still have it voluntary tested at any VOSA testing station. You can opt for anything from a full test to just a brake efficiency test. You will not get a fail or prohibition notice but you will get printed results of whatever test you have opted for. The Militant is booked in for a brake test at the end of July and I always tried to get the Stalwart tested when I was doing a lot of road miles with her. Most of us do our own maintenance but its always nice to have things like brakes tested properly and have a bit of paper showing we have taken all reasonably practicable precautions when maintaining our MOT exempt vehicles. VOSA have been trying to promote voluntary tests for a couple of years now and they have gone up 8% last year, but you hear very little talk of this in the ex-military vehicle community. I have always found the blokes down at the VOSA testing station very helpful and enthusiastic about ex-mil vehicles and well worth the effort of going down.

Out of interest, how did you get a brake test done on a Stalwart? On a rolling road with six wheel drive? Or was that the reason you said "tried to"? Do VOSA still use Tapley meters?

Yep they used Tapley metres, sometimes one and sometimes one on each side (always read the same though) The stolly hasn't been tested since about 1998 and in 1999 was parked under a tree until last year when it was pulled out for a bit of light restoration.

There have been a couple on eBay recently that have gone quite cheap but I'm not too sure how much the calibration would be?

Our local VOSA station now has loading facilities for up to 26 ton, so you don’t even have to take your truck down loaded

Edited by Grumpy

Out of interest, how did you get a brake test done on a Stalwart? On a rolling road with six wheel drive? Do VOSA still use Tapley meters?

with respect to all concerned, VOSA very clearly states on their MOT information that the use of a deceleromter is a requirement if the brake test cannot be done any other way

for those who claim MOT exemption on their vehicles you will be expected to maintain your brakes to the standards required and therefore you should own a suitable meter or use the voluntary scheme - otherwise how are you able to prove your vehicle is roadworthy.

Personally I think all of us claiming MOT exemption without owning a meter (I know a few who do have them - well done!) are on a wing and a prayer pending the first fatal accident and the inevitable review/prosecution

BTW - Tapley meters http://www.tapley.org.uk/braketestmeter.html are now owned by the other main decelerometer maker: http://www.bowmonk.com/automotive.htm and they offer a recalibration service (for a cost!!!)

Edited by john fox

How much for a VOSA test then

Voluntary brake test is £18 for a 3 axle HGV or £30 for a 6 axle HGV. Probably cheaper than the annual calibration of a Tapley meter. There again if you have 10 to test, buying a Tapley meter would be a good idea, you could even test your brakes monthly if you wanted to.

Dead easy to book a test with VOSA just call 0870 6060440 option two and they book it over the phone with your local testing station.

For those who claim MOT exemption on their vehicles you will be expected to maintain your brakes to the standards required and therefore you should own a suitable meter or use the voluntary scheme - otherwise how are you able to prove your vehicle is roadworthy.

Personally I think all of us claiming MOT exemption without owning a meter (I know a few who do have them - well done!) are on a wing and a prayer pending the first fatal accident and the inevitable review/prosecution

Totally agree, how often do they have to be calibrated? Personally at the moment I choose to pay the £18 and pop down to the Featherstone testing station, it’s only about 20 minutes away and is even open on Saturday mornings.

Edited by Grumpy

Not wanting to go off topic anymore but.....

when I took my ZIL for a road worthiness test I was very disappointed. Not with the ZIL, that was fine, but with the testers. Most of them didn't want to do it and kept letting modern HGV's go ahead of me and one little Hitler was more intent in proving that it wasn't exempt and it should also have to have all the modern safety standards of a modern working truck than testing the vehicle.

What I also didn't like was that a road worthiness test costs more than an annual test would have and you don't get anything to say if the vehicle is road worthy or not. And knowing how VOSA is it's no good relying on a verbal statment from one of their testers!

It was nice proving to the chap who did test the ZIL that the brakes were very good though. I did tell him to brace himself but did he listen.......well he did after he hit the windscreen!

Regards

Richard

I've got a Tapley meter - brakes on the Stalwart are such that at the testing speed & unladen it will lift the rear wheels off the deck if the brake pedal is stood on. Quick and easy way of telling if the brakes are up to scratch.

If they don't lift the rear end then out comes the Tapley to verify.

I'd have thought, though, that VOSA testing stations would indulge in a collective session of wetting themselves at the sight of a Stalwart rolling up for any form of testing, brakes or otherwise - anything other than Euro-clones seems to engender this reaction with them.....

My friend at VOSA who knows his stuff, believes all armoured vehicles over 3.5 tonnes are exempt on the grounds that they aren't goods vehicles. A bit like mobile cranes, recovery vehicles and special purpose vehicles which are all exempt on the same grounds.

I have to agree with the fact that test centres are non-plussed when you turn up with a classic truck. My Militant Mk1 is 1964, hence needs a test. For the last 8 years it has been tested as class 4 as it is set up as a camper. This year I tried to book a class 4 test, but neither Purfleet nor Hastings have a class 4 tester at the moment, so in the end it had an HGV test at Hastings. It certainly turned a few heads, and I think the testers drew straws to avoid it!

Personally I think the large majority of CMV owners know their vehicles better than any tester, and even when something isn't perfect, will drive their vehicle accordingly, as with many car drivers whose car is no longer driving as it came out of the factory?

Army vehicles have only been subject to proper brake testing in the last five years or so, previously relying on a quick road test. I would suspect the change has had little effect on safety, as the vast majority of accidents are driver error and not vehicle faults?

Army vehicles have only been subject to proper brake testing in the last five years or so, previously relying on a quick road test.

Not true, at the REME District Workshops, there were roller brake testers in use in the 1980's, for anything right up to Fodens and Scammells, etc. Before a vehicle was passed out it underwent brake test and road test.

I apologise that I failed to express myself clearly in my short post. Whilst I am aware roller brake testers were available in District workshops,

(and have used the ones at ABRO Catterick to test an accident damaged vehicle) as far as I am aware they were used generally to check faulty vehicles. There was not until relatively recently a requirement for British military vehicles to have such a brake test. In a TA unit of any size now, it is now an extra drain on resources and permanent staff time running vehicles for their annual brake and smoke tests. As I said before, I would be interested as to whether this has made any difference to the Armys accident statistics?

I apologise that I failed to express myself clearly in my short post. Whilst I am aware roller brake testers were available in District workshops,

In a TA unit of any size now, it is now an extra drain on resources and permanent staff time running vehicles for their annual brake and smoke tests.

No problem, Jules. I understand units have had to be fitted out with all this equipment, but in the past it would have been done by the local REME static workshop and subsequently ABRO workshop, to whom the unit was dependant on. Due to the cutting back of these workshops it has thrown the responsablity to the units I guess.