Charging Set 80 watts

Greenjacket

If we are on about the BSA set or the chore horse, and are you the one asking in Windscreen by the way? The manuals are downloadable from Vintage Military radio site. I've also got spare knocking about. I have both and canabilised the BSA set to get the Chore horse working, the bits are mostly interchangable. I have used the side plate and flywheel from the BSA on the chore horse. They work but the positioning of the magneto is slightly diffrent, so you must have a matching pair. Be very carful of the rectifier unit, it is Boron, if craked dust is extremly poisinous.

If we are on about the BSA set or the chore horse, and are you the one asking in Windscreen by the way? The manuals are downloadable from Vintage Military radio site.

Hi,

I think we may be barking up the wrong tree, as the guy in Windscreen is called Dennis, not Les, and these engines are 300w, not 80w.

If it were the former, I too have one of each (see below) both -as yet- unrestored. The BSA works fine, the Canadian one spins over on the battery but won't start.

I downloaded the manual but found that some of the pages are missing.

Reprinted manuals are available (again, see below) from Rob van Meel in Holland, he advertises on Milweb. His e-mail address is:

rvan.meel@wanadoo.nl

BSAchargingset001.jpg

bsa2.jpg

k004.jpg

what I did was take the flywheel and plate of the BSA, it fits straight onto the Chore horse, the layout of magneto and points is diffrent. The Chore horse runs fine on it though. Have you take the head off and unstuck the valves? Getting the carb set right is a pain, the two do not seem interchangable. As mentioned I have spares, to HMVF members fist if wanted.

Hi Tony,

as yet I've not done anything more than fiddle with them a bit.

Thanks for the offer of spares. The only things I'm aware are missing (as you can see) are the air filter and a proper suppressed plug cap for the Canadian one. Any joy?

Regards,

-Roger.

Has any body got a copy of the user/technical manual for the Charging set lightweight 80 watts - ZB10632 which i could scan.

Best regards

Les

The 80 watt set is Not the chorehorse but a smaller charger made for the WS 62 installation. A WS 62 was manpack, but the 80 watt charger was carried in a Jeep when the set was vehicle mounted, together with a pedal generator. The vehicle set up could also be carried by mules. The WS 62 was used from 1945 onwards and I have heard it was first used Operationally on the Rhine crossings in March 1945. I have a photocopy of the handbook somewhere and the Jeep installation diagram. I will try and find it and get back to you.

Hi Tony,

as yet I've not done anything more than fiddle with them a bit.

Thanks for the offer of spares. The only things I'm aware are missing (as you can see) are the air filter and a proper suppressed plug cap for the Canadian one. Any joy?

Regards,

-Roger.

Should have an air filter, not the plug cap though.

The 80 watt set is Not the chorehorse but a smaller charger made for the WS 62 installation. A WS 62 was manpack, but the 80 watt charger was carried in a Jeep when the set was vehicle mounted, together with a pedal generator. The vehicle set up could also be carried by mules. The WS 62 was used from 1945 onwards and I have heard it was first used Operationally on the Rhine crossings in March 1945. I have a photocopy of the handbook somewhere and the Jeep installation diagram. I will try and find it and get back to you.

Robert

Very many thanks. You are absolutely correct re the WS62 and the charger. Mine looks mint and complete but would appreciate a scan of the handbook if poss.

Best regards

Les

Mine looks mint and complete but would appreciate a scan of the handbook if poss.

Les,

As good as this one?

Just so people can spot the difference between the 80 watt and the 300 watt or Chorehorse charging sets.........here is a Stuart Turner built 80 watt. :)

Richard

MV misc 001.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Les,

As good as this one?

Just so people can spot the difference between the 80 watt and the 300 watt or Chorehorse charging sets.........here is a Stuart Turner built 80 watt. :)

Richard

These were popular post war for boaters due to the lenght of time between starting ,small enough to carry in the car or even on your bike.Some were kept on board.They still crop up today on old boats,i remember the tool kits even had a spare valve.Given most of mine away in the pre retirement clearout.Think i may have empty tool box on the boat.

i remember the tool kits even had a spare valve.Given most of mine away in the pre retirement clearout.Think i may have empty tool box on the boat.

Hi Catweazle,

My set in the photo came in a crate, unused with toolbox and spare piston rings, valves, plug, etc all encased in grease. Stencilled on end plate that it was inspected by REME FARELF, so looks like it returned home without being issued.

The silencer looks a bit like a cigar case, the flexible exhaust pipe can be made from an old Ferret, Saracen, etc speedo cable outer casing, with the plastic stripped off. We made one in REME workshops once when one came in, silencer was still in stock, would have been late '70's I think.

Hi Richard,lovely little things,look good just sitting on the mantle piece.Working flat out down the coast new engines in Gee.Had eleven people on the boat film crew etc its covered in plastic bubble ,yesterday 100 degrees.Its all getting frantic.But everone will get to the line wishing they had more time.

Hi Richard,lovely little things,look good just sitting on the mantle piece.Working flat out down the coast new engines in Gee.Had eleven people on the boat film crew etc its covered in plastic bubble ,yesterday 100 degrees.Its all getting frantic.But everone will get to the line wishing they had more time.

Hi Catweazle,

Isn't it always the same, last minute rush to do things that should have been sorted months ago. Have you got involved in Gee again? Hope you can get your own boat ready as well. Sounds like a great event.

Best of luck, Captain .....:captain:

Gee only in a spare pair of hands way,no technical stuff,be down for the launch then rush to get mine ready for the start.

Les,

As good as this one?

Richard

Richard

Nearly as good. Came with a ws 62 set no spares however.

regards

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1980, I bought a NOS Canadian 300 watt set, in the shipping crate . It came with two tins of accessories , canvas cover, can of oil , funnel . The tool box is located within a larger tin box. The boxes had a lead seal on the catches. The tools included are pliers, open ended spanners in a clip, even a piece of rag and lots more. I could take some pics of it if anyone is interested. The boxes have the fancy Canadian lend-lease logo.. a maple leaf with CANADA in English, Russian and Chinese. In the spares box , spare meter, rings , piston and more .

Down in Melbourne , a surplus dealer had tonnes of NOS spares for them. Sadly, all gone now.

Mike

• 1 year later...
Robert

Very many thanks. You are absolutely correct re the WS62 and the charger. Mine looks mint and complete but would appreciate a scan of the handbook if poss.

Best regards

Les

I have a copy of the manual for the 80wat charging set acquired from the Sigs. museum in Blandford. Also the stowage layout for a jeep, dinner has arrived so will post later. John.

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased a second one of these Generators which has a different arrangement of terminals.

It has separate terminals marked high and low power or similar presumably allowing charging at different rates.

The manufacturer is also listed as EP Company. Any suggestions on manufactuer or why this different pattern.

I am also looking for a work shop manual rather than the hand book which comes in the spare parts tin. Any source for spares would also be useful.

The sets were also originally associated with the 22 Set rather than the later 62 which must have seen very limited war-time service.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

just found this old thread and hope you chaps can help supply me with a copy of a service manual for the 80w charger I've just aquired?

Its in very good condition, turns freely with compression. I intend to service it and get it running if possible.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Martin