Main's yard photos.

TooTallMike

As with the photos from Hunts, apologies for the poor quality of these scans. These were all taken in '96 at Main's in Benson, Oxon.

Enjoy! :)

CCKW:

GMCCCKW353.jpg

2 CMPs & Green Goddess:

CMPsGreenGoddess.jpg

Logging CMP:

CMP2.jpg

2 more CMPs:

CMP.jpg

Austin K?:

AustinK22.jpg

Austin K?:

AustinK2.jpg

Austin Gypsy:

AustinGypsy.jpg

Hi Mike,

I was at RAF Benson last week to see my son and my second grandchild, is the yard still there?

Regards,

John.

This was over 10 years ago so I don't know now. Try asking in the local garage - they tend to know what's about. I'll bet most of it has succumbed to the great Chinese scrap drive. :-(

- Mike

Over to you then John! Who knows what else might be lurking in there still. I can't even remember what we went there for but in those days it was probably parts for 1930's fire engines.

- Mike

Mike, thank you again for posting these wonderful 'photos. Did you, by any chance, visit Watson and Sons' yard at Little Stoke, Stone in Warwickshire at about the same time. They had a very beautiful, and complete, open cab 1930's fire engine in a shed and quite a few MV's, Militant, Martian etc in their yard.

Mike, thank you again for posting these wonderful 'photos. Did you, by any chance, visit Watson and Sons' yard at Little Stoke, Stone in Warwickshire at about the same time. They had a very beautiful, and complete, open cab 1930's fire engine in a shed and quite a few MV's, Militant, Martian etc in their yard.

I don't recall the name but I've been to loads of yards over the last 20 years. I only remember the ones I photographed and made a note of. I've got some of Charlie Russell's place in Liphook to go up in the next few days. I'll plonk the non-MV ones from these 3 yards on Photobucket and people can look if they're interested.

- Mike

I have some photos from 2003. A friend went up to get some chassis bits and took some photos of an early truck chassis for me. I was told that it was Thornycroft J with the diff in. As you can see it is not, but you are welcome to hazzard a guess.

I put in some other photos of the yard that might interest you. These were taken about 5 years after the last lot, and you can recognise some of the vehicles as the being in the last lot posted, only more corroded. They will soon be gone. Very sad.

Spot the odd one out.

Untitled-11.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-19.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

Tim (too)

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

The yards still there, I made a visit there last year 2019 and I have to say the owners are really nice people but I couldn't get them to part with a really rotten CMP. The yard is unbelievable but a lot of stuff is rotting into the ground which is a real shame. I still live in hope that I can rescue the remains of that CMP.

Jon