Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

Well - :whistle: if someone hadn't mentioned the possible non-originality, I'm not sure many folk would have noticed - me included!!

I reckon you probably got a bargain, and given the scarceity of the things you could fairly say 'if it's a sirenlight, it will do just fine'. Enjoy it!!

But, having done so, you've now got me wondering if mine is right....I picked it up as a fully recon ex. US fire engine of wartime vintage. And that's a 50p piece holding the front up!

Sincerely,

Worried of Elmira Heights :confused:

If certain people didn't keep harping on about mine being non-original I wouldn't have felt the need to mention it :whistle:. Plus it might harm Mark's chances of winning First Prize in the Addington & Shirley village fete concourse event if the scrtutineers spot it...

Yours looks very clean Tony. I need to look in my books but aren't the vents just behind the lens louvred on the WLF ones rather than having holes...? I may well be wrong as I don't have the books here to check.

This opens up another question I was going to post elsewhere on the forum - how do you prep chrome to get paint to stick to it? Is it just a question of degreasing and then keying the surface with wet & dry?

- Mike

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you asked that question re. painting chrome Mike - begining to think I'd have to get the rest of the truck chromed to match :-D. A shame in a way that the Sirenlight restorer had re-chromed it all, but it was the last one left so I took it. Suppose I could leave it as is? Was the chromed windscreen surround on hard cabs painted or left chrome finish I wonder....

Use an etch primer maybe? Perhaps that is what the galv. primer is, calling Richard Grosvenor.......advice please!

Hmm, it the WLF would look nice all chromed up, wouldnt it?

If certain people didn't keep harping on about mine being non-original I wouldn't have felt the need to mention it :whistle:. Plus it might harm Mark's chances of winning First Prize in the Addington & Shirley village fete concourse event if the scrtutineers spot it...

- Mike

Oy winkle - now you're just sounding bitter -

I can't help it if the Ward La France keeps winning prizes - just ask Jack about his plank!

I love your non-original diesel engined, dual braking system Ward La France -

I do honestly.

Markheliops

I'm glad you asked that question re. painting chrome Mike - begining to think I'd have to get the rest of the truck chromed to match :-D. A shame in a way that the Sirenlight restorer had re-chromed it all, but it was the last one left so I took it. Suppose I could leave it as is? Was the chromed windscreen surround on hard cabs painted or left chrome finish I wonder....

Use an etch primer maybe? Perhaps that is what the galv. primer is, calling Richard Grosvenor.......advice please!

Hmm, it the WLF would look nice all chromed up, wouldnt it?

Etch primer! couldn't think of the nme. :-D

Dual braking system sounds like another very good modification to me. Hows it done? Do you need a different pedal mechanism?

Mine uses the original pedal and operating rod going to a standard 2-circuit Bosch brake valve located in the original position. The front half feeds the front brakes, the rear half feeds the rear brakes and trailer connections. It necessitates re-plumbing the air system to have at least 2 separate air tanks to keep the circuits separate. It therefore also requires either a MCPV or non-return valves in the feed lines. I also installed an air drier.

I've got 3 air tanks - the 3rd is aux and feeds crane and clutch air stuff as well has having a quick-release connection for inflating airbeds and tyres.

- Mike

Norman, TTM's motor also has some very interesting, non-standard, and top secret rear brake chambers (not that the scrutineers would stoop so low :cool2:) - you may have noticed them on an earlier thread, might be a job to find now the forum library has got so big!

SIREN = SOUR GRAPES PERHAPS ? / ARE YOU SAYING :shocked::cry:IF YOU WHERE OFFERED THE SAME DEAL YOU WOULD TURN IT DOWN?

Nope, just having a bit of fun:cool2:: mine is non-original too and was a similar price to what Mark paid. I've taken a lot of stick for mine from my friends who are in the know but I'm blowed if I'm going to pay the insane prices the dealers are asking for restored genuine ones.

I'd urge Stormin' to do a deal with Tony B for his one.

- Mike

......but I'm blowed if I'm going to pay the insane prices the dealers are asking for restored genuine ones.

- Mike

I think I was very very very very very very lucky with the one I got direct from the States :) Don't expect you could get another like that now!

I've checked through some manuals and can only see the 'hole vent' type as per my photo, so I'm fairly certain this was the original pattern. I can't find the Tankograd book to check some wartime pics and series 5 pics yet though.

• 3 weeks later...
saw a genuine Ward La France Siren/light whilst at Tanks in Town, you lot were way off!!!! :-)

Are you being serious - or having a laugh Bodger Baz.

If that is a genuine siren light - I'll give you my Ward La France for free.

Oh and as Mike stated - not even on the right side.

Keep taking the pills Baz. LOL

Markheliops

Markheliops

Hand it over!!!!!! LOL

come on now....me be serious! but you have to admit the giant bean can was a great peice of french engineering!!!!

Markheliops

Apart from the bean can on the rear it looks exactly like the one in the TM 9-736.

Could be that the bean can is just added protection. Stop people stealing a £500 genuine siren light!

Apart from the bean can on the rear it looks exactly like the one in the TM 9-736.

Could be that the bean can is just added protection. Stop people stealing a £500 genuine siren light!

Wrong mount for a start - the mount on an original siren is integral with the siren assembly.

Not a B&Q special!!!