Bedford MW 15-cwt owner experiences

mcspool

Hi all,

I am contemplating the purchase of a Bedford MW 15-cwt truck. I have been informed spares availability is quite good, so I'm not worried about that.

However, I am 6'6" tall, and have a problem fitting in many WW2 army trucks.

Can anyone with Bedford MW experience tell me if I would have problems fitting behind the wheel? From pictures I see they have space left behind the driver's seat, so I'm hoping I can adjust the seat back far enough to create legroom.

Thanks,

Hanno

Well, I have not driven one of those for 49 years - I did my 2 weeks MT Course and Driving Test in one when I was doing National Service. I was only 5'10" at the time - shrunk a bit since then - but a friend who was doing the same course at the same time was 6'6" and I never heard him complain.

Tony

Can anyone with Bedford MW experience tell me if I would have problems fitting behind the wheel? From pictures I see they have space left behind the driver's seat, so I'm hoping I can adjust the seat back far enough to create legroom.

Hi Hanno,

I am 6'1" and long in the leg, it is not too bad driving an MW. Seat can be moved back on slides, just getting out is the awkward bit, but you will soon learn an easy way. Nice truck though and still good for parts in the mechanical and electrical department.

Have you finally come around to dropping CMP's and getting into British vehicles ? :-D

Hey mate one suggestion, move the observer's roof hatch to drivers side!:-D
Thanks, another suggestion someone made was to get on the early MW's with aero screens as I'd be looking over the top of the wind screen any way ;)

Well, I have not driven one of those for 49 years - I did my 2 weeks MT Course and Driving Test in one when I was doing National Service. I was only 5'10" at the time - shrunk a bit since then - but a friend who was doing the same course at the same time was 6'6" and I never heard him complain.
Thanks Tony!

Hanno

I am 6'1" and long in the leg, it is not too bad driving an MW. Seat can be moved back on slides, just getting out is the awkward bit, but you will soon learn an easy way. Nice truck though and still good for parts in the mechanical and electrical department.

Have you finally come around to dropping CMP's and getting into British vehicles ? :-D

Thanks for the tips, Richard!

No of course I'm not dropping CMPs >:(

But, I've always fancied the 15-cwt class of trucks, and I am looking for small to medium-sized vehicle I can take on longer road journeys. I reckon a 15-cwt 4x2 is ideal for this purpose, but the CMP Ford and Chevrolet 11 and 12 cab (13 cab is no option, as I already have one) are too small for me.

The Bedford and Morris-Commercial 15-cwt truck do not have a spare wheel and tool box behind the cab like CMPs have, so there's some extra space behind the driver's seat. Have sat in a Morris-Commercial, it should be possible to make me fit, but I'm a bit wary of M-C's because of the availability of spares.

Have briefly checked a Bedford, but I did not have anough time to properly check if I'd fit reasonably comfortably. Hence my question here.

Any long legged owner/driver's experiences are welcome!

All for now,

thanks,

Hanno

Think its something you adapt to; I'm not particualy tall, but found the driving position, 'different' when first using my MW;....wondered what do do with left leg, as gear changing wasn't needed very often......:)

As others have said, seat is on sliders, so a certain amount of adjustment is available,...............if you go down the areo screen route, there is actually LESS headroom in cab with tilt in place.

All in all, they are a grand vehicle, with a good mechanical parts back up, dealers wise.

Andy

Who's still looking to swap 1943 Bedford MW for GMC softcab 352/353. (need the room in the back):-D

I thought the spare wheel was behind the cab on a C8? Im sure Julians is? I stand to be corrected. Spare parts arent that big a problem for the Morris Ive found so far, only getting the body panels fabricated. Brakes are readily available and the engine gaskets, the engine itself seems pretty bulletproof. (Excuse the pun)!