Tirpitz museum Tromso

radiomike7

Has anyone visited the above, and is it worth going to? My father in law was CO of 617 squadron at the time, led all 3 raids and was credited with having scored the first Tallboy hit.

Mike

Edited by radiomike7

Now that's a degree of separation I like about HMVF....one step from the sinking of the Tirpitz. Sorry Mike, I haven't been to the museum. I feel I ought to, though. Maybe Martylee knows it????

Tell us more about your FiL, if he's up for it.

cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply but in case you didn't know, Group Captain (Willie) Tait passed away last September aged 90. I can do no better than refer you to the Telegraph obituary which describes the life of a very special person. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1561988/Gp-Capt-Willie-%27Tirpitz%27-Tait.html

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry Mike, I haven't been to the museum. I feel I ought to, though. Maybe Martylee knows it????

Mark

I haven't been to the museum either since it's very far to the north and actually further away than you are!!! Norway has a really long coast and as you may know is shaped like a guitar. However their net adress is: http://www.tirpitz-museum.no

The museum opened in 2005 and has a lot of photos and what they say is an extensive collection of equipment. The founder of the museum received a cultural award for his work for the last 25 years trying to show the ships history, which is also really interesting.

The steel plates from the hull of the ship is still in use in road work in the capitol Oslo. Of course the ship was cut up after the war. The steel is still in great shape.

Check out these photos from the museum: http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Stian_he/Bunker%20Tirpitzmuseet/?

This is a really nice part of the country, with lots of really nice people around. So I can recommend a visit to the area. Lot's of old war installations around. And still is a important area for the armed forces.

Hopefully this helps you a bit!

Marty

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has one of the life boats from the Tirpitz. I will have to visit him and his collection later this summer, will of course bring the camera along with me.

As for the area the Tirpitz lived in here's a couple of photos of that area.

PB020104.jpg

PB140242.jpg

A friend of mine took these at her hometown.

These are the fjords where the Tirpitz hid.

It really is beautiful Bodge!

Marty

Beautiful, but it looks like the country has teeth. Sice some of your ancestors came down to France and took over Normandy, and then became my ancestors, and my Dodge speacks norwegian, I must find a way to visit. I've seen pictures of the German fortifications, be intresting to compare them with Jersey.

Norway is a great place with lot's of ww2 history, and also older history as you mention Tony. I haven't been that far north either so I better go there some day. Perhaps I should join you! As I've mentioned before I'd really like to visit Jersey as well.

In june there's an event in Harstad which is in a really interesting area. Just found out that there are a couple landingships in tha area as well... :-) I don't think they will be at the event, but my imagination started flowing. They're not ww2, but still!

Marty

Thanks for the photos and links martylee, Norway has some stunniing scenery. We went on a cruise in 1997 that took us as far north as Spitzbergen and then followed the coast down to Bergen stopping off in Tromso (where we were told about the museum) and Trondheim.