always pack a ladder

gritineye

While at Magnificent Motors show on Eastbourne seafront with my Explorer last weekend a chap who had driven Explorers in service came over and looked longingly up at the drivers seat, I told him he could get in but he thought his poor old knees wouldn't let him, it was too high.

Luckily I carry a small ladder for just such occasions and so, with a little help, he sat at the wheel grinning his head off and saying things like "There's a Saracen in the ditch up the road, lets go and get it, and then the upside down Ferret round the corner!"

It's a simple thing that can make many an Old Soldier's day, mums feel it's safer for their kids as well, so if you can, please carry a small ladder if you own a high vehicle.

DSCF5699.jpg

Edited by gritineye

It's a simple thing that can make many an Old Soldier's day.

"Old Soldier" nothing. As a 25-year-old Ferret commander, I carried a ladder to climb onto a Mark 1 (height 4'9").

Yes, I could climb aboard, but since the ladder was liberated anyway, why have a dog and bark meself???

My ladder was bought as new at W & P a few years ago for a tenner, it is almost weightless, and has lugs under the top step to fit into sockets presumably on a vehicle or more likely a plane. Maybe it was made for you but not supplied!

It's great for little kids as I tell them they can get inside if they can move the really heavy ladder, they then of course run around waving it above their head, "look mum, look!"