Scammell Pioneer Rolling Rebuild

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that she wouldn't mind driving an explorer
I should have elaborated a bit, we were talking about going to shows and my concern is a breakdown. Obvious long term solution is another heavy! But not having any mates I'd need her to drive it. So without batting an eyelid she said she'd drive an explorer!

So I get the pioneer with the comedy heavy steering :-(

Here are some more pics of the rare pioneer superleggera!

Scammell102.jpg

Scammell103-1.jpg

We were talking about going to shows and my concern is a breakdown.

Always a very good idea to have accompanying vehicles capable of towing each other when attending shows. And, always a very good idea to have as many Scammells as possible. Thank you for posting these amazing photographs. So many new screen savers I'm spoilt for choice. :tup::

That Pioneer in Superleggera trim contrast nicely with the clear sky and snow. Excellent pictures, are they true B&W´s or colour pics converted into B&W?

I'm afraid that they are just photoshopped into B&W, I've lost my good digital slr so they were just taken with a little compact thing. Turned out ok, especially since I couldn't see the screen because the sun was so bright! I'm not used to the sun up here :-D

• 2 months later...

Madrat is Back!! After working 100 hours a week for three months on a big contract things are coming to and end and I've got a bit more time to get things moving again before the house build kicks off.

Spurred on by everyone else's hard work I managed a few hours over the last few days. Unfortunately I don't have the time to strip things down fully so I'm doing the next best thing which is to make sure everything is working, clean, rust and paint free then treating with rust converter before painting.

The rust converter looks awful after it goes on but at least I know the rust won't come back through the paint. The plan is to finish the truck without the rear lockers for now, may have to sell it depending on how things with the house go :sweat:

Oh and did I mention there is a new arrival coming to the barn soon?! have a guess at what it is...... todays clue is that it has a 20 ton winch :cool2:

On with a few pictures:

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

Rust4.jpg

Welcome back mate , Loads of money burning a hole in your pocket by the sounds of it ! :-D Does the new toy have a rebellious side and relatives who recently lived in London ? Will you and Mrs Madrat be at War and Peace this year ? (Oh and if you are building the house I think a Scammell size garage should be on the plans !):-D

Good to have you back Madrat.

There's been a shortage of Scammell restorations on here. :D

Be a shame if you have to part with the Pioneer, surely it'd have to be the Stalwart that goes first, you've got less time and effort involved in that one.

New Project with twenty ton winch ehh?

Don't tell me you've seen the light and bought a Ward La France?

In all seriousness good luck with the restoration, hope your new found spare time re-fires your enthusiasm for it.

Looks very clean before applying rust preventer. What are you using phosphoric acid? What have you used to clean up, surely more than just the steam cleaner there?

Cheers Boys! You'll need to try a bit harder with your guesses I'm afraid, another clue would be that it has hood sticks :whistle:

Be a shame if you have to part with the Pioneer, surely it'd have to be the Stalwart that goes first, you've got less time and effort involved in that one.

When I bought the pioneer I was looking for an explorer, it was apparent that due to the high price of scrap that it was going to die so I decided to save it. I think its a wonderful piece of engineering but aside from that its going to be painfully slow and heavy to drive and everything is so far away from me it would be a shame not to be able to show it off. I'm sure that someone else would take more pleasure from it than I can. The stolly was also rescued and I intend to get it running again to make sure it doesn't go to the scrap man either, especially since its a rarer mk1.

Looks very clean before applying rust preventer. What are you using phosphoric acid? What have you used to clean up, surely more than just the steam cleaner there?

Steam cleaner and then needle scaler and wire brushes, the scaler is simply the best tool on the planet! Had one years ago which just ripped car bodywork to pieces but for this heavy stuff its outstanding.

Loads of money burning a hole in your pocket by the sounds of it !

For now maybe but not for long, is it wrong to have more floor area in the garage than in the house?! Did suggest to mrs madrat that we just lived upstairs in the garage - lead balloon stuff I'm afraid :argh:

Will you and Mrs Madrat be at War and Peace this year ?

Yes we should be, and all being well in better circumstances than last years sad events. Just need to find somewhere to pitch our tent, anyone got a space?!

Hi Duncan, good to see you back. I met one of your uni mates at the weekend, he said you had something new and large in the pipeline, but I will keep it to myself so the others can play guessing games...

Hey Croc,

Ian phoned me to tell me he had seen an explorer at a show, told him to have a chat with you! Small world eh?

Lets see if the boys can guess the new toy!

Dunc

Hey Croc,

Ian phoned me to tell me he had seen an explorer at a show, told him to have a chat with you! Small world eh?

Lets see if the boys can guess the new toy!

Dunc

I believe the Leanne Booth explorer was for sale at Banks Rally Southport and shortly after appeared on Ebay. It was quickly removed from Ebay as I believe the Booths decided to keep it,but I may be wrong and it's still available. Not cheap though, but a very tidy example.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY - NEW TOY

Progress on the Scammell has been good this week (Pics to follow), but look what has arrived at the barn!!

Tat2.jpg

Tat7.jpg

Tat8.jpg

Tat1.jpg

Tat12.jpg

Tat13.jpg

Tat4.jpg

Fantastic!

No sign of these trucks, then two appear on the forum almost at once.

You'll be able to compete against yourself with the Scammell in off road truck trials.

Did you use the Pioneer to drag it into the barn? Have you got the missing bits of engine?

You'll be able to compete against yourself with the Scammell in off road truck trials.

I've wanted a Tatra for 15 years after seeing them in the europa truck trials, they are incredibly capable vehicles.

Did you use the Pioneer to drag it into the barn? Have you got the missing bits of engine?

the pioneer is up on blocks just now getting painted so we had to resort to modern technology (Telehandler) to get her in.

I've got all the engine bits although it sat with water in the bores and 8 of the cylinder liners are knackered. The cool thing is that its all modular and you can buy a liner, piston and all gaskets for £100 :shocked: bits are so cheap for it! Its a very cool engine, 17 litre V12 air cooled multifiel beast!

Well you've been and gone and done it now!

Madrat by name..............Madrush by nature :-D

On the positive side it looks to be the most complete and easily restored toy in your growing collection, should be pretty unbreakable too.

Mods please note Madrat's got a proper dedicated restoration viewing area in his barn, I understand seating will be provided as well.

This is something we could do with in the new 16.5 million pound clubhouse extension on winter evenings, We can bring our own refreshments.....:coffee:

As anyone heard one of these things run? The noise must be impressive - I imagine something not unlike a 917 Porker.

Summat like this

I just love those guys up to their necks in the water :nut:

Edited by gritineye