Scammell Pioneer Rolling Rebuild

Whats the guesses as to how long it'll take to do the cab?! It needs a new floor and some parts of the frame are too far gone! Someone give me a challenge :cool2:

Did mine in two weeks (80hrs) primed ready for paint, the square type gutters were the only bits I couldn't make, luckily a friend does that sort of thing for a living :-D

My floor was OK and the frame just needed cleaning and priming, I fitted a new windscreen.

Not all of the screw heads are of the correct type and this annoys me to this day when they catch my eye, it is surprising how much this affects the originality of the job, and they are easier to source now on line.

And you have the advantage of Mrs Madrat who enjoys getting her hands dirty :wave: should be a breeze.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr.MadRat, before we start laying down our hard earned cash betting on the time this work will take how do we know you haven't got an already fully restored, "one you prepared earlier" Pioneer, just off camera that in three days time you will reveal to an astonished forum and keep our money? Are we all being drawn into one of the most audacious internet scammell scams ever ? And who is the sinister Baronvonthingme and what part does he play in all this ?

now now gentlemen! Too many questions are being asked I fear. The role of BaronVonCooper must remain secret until the project is complete, he is indeed the 'stig' of this operation :cool2:

Perhaps money is not the currency of the bet.. W&P beer tokens might be far more appropriate :beer:

intresting point there 6x6 he mite think hes all safe from prying eyes up on that moutnin of his

Younggun, did you notice how much the landscape on the YouTube Vids looked just like the outskirts of Lagos. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turns out to be one of those Nigerian internet gangs. AND Mrs.MadRat has black hands.

Theres a beer with your name on it anyway if you come down this year mate ! You deserve it for saving the old girl from becoming another Chinese tower block support ! Has she been christened yet as all Scammells should have a name so you can talk gently to them when you just need a little more va va voom ! :-D

my war and peac camping pass came the other day ill buy eny one a beer if thers scammell talk in the air :cool2:

and yes 6x6 the landscape did look a little nigerian and it wasent raining so it cant be scotland

Edited by younggun

Theres a beer with your name on it anyway if you come down this year mate ! You deserve it for saving the old girl from becoming another Chinese tower block support !:-D

Amen to that. You're doing a great job Mr.& Mrs.MadRat, think of me as you're man in the West Country. If you want any spares checked out down this way, or any other assistance, just say.

Edited by 6 X 6

I'm sure now you have the Scammell she can't keep her hands of you

Did you not see the state of her hands?! No-one would want those grubby mits all over them :nono:

I have found that most men are repelled by the faint smell of gear oil that she gives off, so I needn't worry about her straying, unless there are scammell owners around ...... :sweat:

I've offered my better half a Scammell upgrade ( from 61 IIa Landrover), several times over the years, to no avail ! Sadly some are just immune to the Scammell virus....

some women would see a scammell as a serious love rivel and would envy the fact u and the scammell would be tucked up in a shed somewhere ejoying an oily rub down and shareing softly spoken words by the dim light of the blowlamp:cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, whilst I thought the cab would take a couple of days it seems that finding a couple of days has proved harder than first thought!

I think I've spent 20 hours or so on the cab now, most of the frame was beyond repair so large sections have been replaced. It was good to finally get some new tin on the cab, some of the folds and corners took a lot of time. The roof will be tricky me thinks!

I searched everywhere to find some 10x10x1 channel to form a gutter above the doors, then had a brainwave... B&Q stocks various small steel sections and I found a perfect profile to keep the rain out.

Lets let the pictures do the talking.............. :-D

Frontpanel.jpg

Rusty front panel, this took for ever to make a new panel as there are about 500 holes in the thing that needed to be driller or marked!

Newfrontpanel.jpg

New front panel now attached to the truck, looking good!

side1.jpg

Most of the cab frame was too far gone, sections were replaced one at a time to prevent the cab from losing its shape!

side2.jpg

First panel goes on, the folded section was hard to form without distorting the back panel, had to use a number of tiny spot welds to hold it in place whilst panel beating. Couldn't find any clamps and didnt fancy the 2 hour drive to go get some so I made my own! :cool2:

cominout.jpg

Honestly not sure why I didn't think of this earlier but I decided that it would be best to remove the frame for the rear body, this will make it far easier to paint the cab and get at the chassis for blasting and painting. In went the forklift to drag the Scammell out of the shed.

liftoff.jpg

Health and Safety officers look away now!

frame.jpg

That should make things easier to work on!

back.jpg

Cab looking all shiny and new, ready for some primer soon....

cab.jpg

It can't be seen in this picture but there is a lot of work in the door area, the original cab was too far gone to make out any original features so I'm working from pictures in my now very dirty scammell book. Not easy but it should be a relatively faithful reconstruction.

I used a load of metric bolts to hold things together for now, I'll get some bolts to match the originals during the week.

If I can get a couple of days free'd up this week I'll maybe get the roof on! I've got a guy coming to look at my 101 on Thursday which might give me pocket money for a new toy :cool2:

:bow::bow: Very impressed mate ! You've put me to shame ! I think you will have a fleet of these before to long at this rate ! Well done and keep those pictures coming ! Very good for motivating me mate ! Andy :-D
Thanks Andy, the kind words on here help keep me motivated too! My plan is to take off as much stuff as possible leaving her drivable, restore that bit and then work on the other parts as and when I can find time.

Looking forward to W&P, don't have a clue what to expect as we are first-timers! Will have cash in pocket and a van to take all the purchases home, just a shame we were too late to get camping sorted out on site :cry:

:shocked: Twenty hours you say, is a man by the name of Guinness standing by taking note? :-D

Thought your cab took 80 hours?! I thought that was good going... I've still got to make the doors, rebuild most of the windscreen, make the floor which will take me ages (Wood = No Welding :nono:) do the roof, paint and prime the whole thing..

I'll be happy if I can finish it in the 80 hours :yay: