Scammell Pioneer Rolling Rebuild

I didn't have to do the floor, or repair the frame and make new front panel, just patched the door bottoms, threw in a complete new windscreen, you dun good so far!

lol, didn't realise that! Might slow down a bit now the pressure is off :sweat:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, didn't realise that! Might slow down a bit now the pressure is off :sweat:

Sorry Mr madrush,

Just remembered I inserted a new bottom in the tank and replaced rusty parts of the tank shield frame and re-skinned that as well. Just to get you back up to full speed :)

Sorry Mr madrush,

Just remembered I inserted a new bottom in the tank and replaced rusty parts of the tank shield frame and re-skinned that as well. Just to get you back up to full speed :)

u tell him bernard

its like my granddad allways uste to say ......................GET BACK TO WORK .

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone we met at W+P, it was great to put faces to names and we both felt very welcome! We will be back next year with more time to spare and hopefully get camped out somewhere a bit better!

In the meantime I've attached some pictures of the group photo that Mrs Madrat took, unfortunately my camera has too many buttons for her and they are a little out of focus :nono:

Feel free to move the pics or link to them somewhere more appropriate for all to see!

Mr+Mrs Madrat

WP1.jpg

WP2.jpg

WP3.jpg

:) Cheers for posting these pics, matey.

Hopfully next year the HMVF encampment will be in place, and it will be easier to 'identify' folk...................hopfully Jack will have perfected his tea making skills by then..........:whistle:

• 1 month later...

Hello! We've been rather busy here for a while now and I'm pleased to say that 'Mrs Madrat' is now legally a 'Mrs' following our wedding last Saturday.

Now in time-honored MV tradition our honeymoon consisted of a thorough cleaning of our Scammell in preparation for paint!

We borrowed the barons diesel powered pressure washer for the task as the steam cleaner stopped working, unfortunately its so powerful that mrs madrat was unable to stand upright so I sent her home and went about the dirty job myself (Cleaning the Scammell).

Also took off the ballast holder thing and the front wings, my thinking is to reduce her to the minimum number of parts, get that all painted up and then when I get time I'll prepare and paint some of the bolt on items and get them put back together.

Two days later you could eat your dinner off the chassis, hopefully I can find some time over the next week to get the cab finished off and a coat of paint on her! :cool2:

Clean1.jpg

Clean2.jpg

Clean3.jpg

Clean4.jpg

Clean5.jpg

your missus is clearley a luck lady being allowed to spend her honeymoon on the truck!
I don't think she realises how lucky she is! I've heard that other girls are forced to lie on a beach or tour romantic European destinations eating fine food and drinking champagne every night! :nono:

Glad to see you are still having fun with the Pioneer and not neglecting her now you are a Stollie man too !
The stolly keeps talking to me when I'm working on the Scammell, I've had to separate the two for just now. I think this is the best way to keep up morale on a rebuild, simply buy a more exiting project and leave that as a reminder as to what you get to play with when the first one is finished :banana:

The stolly keeps talking to me when I'm working on the Scammell, I've had to separate the two for just now. I think this is the best way to keep up morale on a rebuild, simply buy a more exiting project and leave that as a reminder as to what you get to play with when the first one is finished :banana:

STOLLY MORE EXITING THAN A

SCAMMELL? :box:

go wash your mouth out young man!!

It's probably best you have separated them there could be a fight for your affections, not that they aren't stretched enough already, what with the 101 sulking somewhere as well!

You are clearly up to speed again now, steam cleaning must be the worst job going, I never have managed to get mine done all over like that as the blowbacks on my glasses and too long a lance defeats me every time, believe me I've tried!

Hearty congratulations to you both, all the best for the future, :yay:

Bernard

STOLLY MORE EXITING THAN A

SCAMMELL? :box:

go wash your mouth out young man!!

:rofl: I knew that would noise up some of the members infected with scammellitis! Perhaps I should state 'Stolly more exciting than pioneer' I've still got plans for the explorer that lives close to us :cool2:

what with the 101 sulking somewhere as well!
Well the 101 isn't sulking no more, she's off to a new home soon. The guy who drove her when she was in service tracked me down and offered to buy her! So she'll be happy in her new home reunited with her old master!

Hearty congratulations to you both, all the best for the future, :yay:
Thanks! We'll be back on the show scene next year armed with more beer and more time :beer:

Jack/6x6, thanks for the kind words!

Is there anything on a Scammell that is small?!

Found lots of small holes in the cab, does that count?!

We tool the wheels off the rear of the vehicle to clean the walking beams, found that there are two giant slotted 'screws' in the beams. I amused myself thinking about the size of the screwdriver required to undo them :-D (The flat of the screwdriver would need to be 5" across!)

Gritineye (Or anyone else for that matter) talk to me about the bolts I should be using for the cab? I'd like to try and get that detail right if possible!

I made good progress over the weekend on the Scammell, got various parts of the cab finished including the curved sections above the doors. Its not concourse and I've no idea how they should look as there was nothing left to go on but I'm happy and It'll keep the rain out! :-D

RoofSide.jpg

The screw heads should be slotted pan head to look right on an Explorer, I suppose the same on Pioneers. I used cheese heads and they look wrong, as do round head, all screws should be slotted. sorry if I'm too late with this info.

Looking Good.

Thanks! Am I right the difference is that the pan heads have a rounded edge and the cheese heads have a straight edge?

I've just got things held temporarily for now, but need to start thinking about getting the right bolts ordered up, any ideas for a supplier?

ta

Thanks Andy, those are some great pics of the cab. I'm working to pictures in my 'millitary scammell illustrated' book and I've noticed that almost all the cab metalwork are different! I guess its to be expected on a 65 year old truck.

Wouldn't mind watching antarmike make up panels, the ones for his explorer were a work of art! I'm too embarrassed to post close up pics of my work now :cry:

Still I'm happy to be making progress!

Thanks! Am I right the difference is that the pan heads have a rounded edge and the cheese heads have a straight edge?

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_2610991280%20screw.gif

Pan head.

But if the pix Andy just posted look like round head to me so perhaps it aint to important really.

Edited by gritineye

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
so you what do you think?! Has anyone wet themself with laughter? :rofl:

No mate ,but i do admire you blokes on this sort of restoration,best of luck.:-D

Pan head.

But if the pix Andy just posted look like round head to me so perhaps it aint to important really.

If you can tell that from those pictures I think I need my eyes tested! I knew it was a scammell but that's about it!

No mate ,but i do admire you blokes on this sort of restoration,best of luck.:-D

Someone somewhere must have had a good chuckle....:rofl: the sandblaster got sand in everything and now I can't hear in my right ear! Shouted at mrs madrat earlier as I thought there was a problem with the phone, was reminded that the problem lay with the operator of the phone :whistle: