Well may be not, it later went to Elliots of York. here is the picture I found and text. Although the photographer thinks it was a us army vehicle.

<

Stock Photo - Early 1940s Diamond T truck pulling a large load, South Yorkshire, 1962. The truck, bearing the unusual registration number of EGG 999 pulls the body of a 2400 Lima drag line unit on a low loader near the village of Hoyland, near Barnsley. The American tractor unit was probably ex US military and looks like a 1943 model. It was operated by Elliott Hauliers Ltd of York.

>

egg999 elliot.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ii am having a problem with one of the four bolts that retain the brake back plate. The nut and part of the thread has gone. You would think that all was left would be the head and shank. It will not move. We can't turn it ,I centre punched it yesterday and sparks flew off. Drills won't touch it. I don't know what it's made off but it's hard. Are these pressed in? Any ideas? Thanks. David.

IMG_20210316_212150194.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

Fantastic video, well done to the camera man. 

interesting gear change, was that hi to low and a gear change all at the same time? 

that's direct/direct to 3rd over so down shifting half a gear, only way to do it on a hill on the flat you can do the sticks individually.  

4 minutes ago, john1950 said:

I think the old boys appreciate the effort you made making the video. Lovely exhaust note, slick gear changing. Thanks.    

cheers john the old boy i bought the truck from is 95 and he was over the moon when we pulled into the yard, not sure you can get any better than putting a big smile on a old man's face and bringing back memories like that. 

• Like 1

last video i took off the trip about 1 mile from jason's and the end of a fantastic 2 day trip. going to be running 2 Diamond's loaded to Capel military show in september with a sherman and a morris armoured car. 

also taking jason's diamond to goodwood this year with sherman so loads more vids and pics to come.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, the DT guy said:

cheers john the old boy i bought the truck from is 95 and he was over the moon when we pulled into the yard, not sure you can get any better than putting a big smile on a old man's face and bringing back memories like that. 

I bet that was a sight for him, also the fact of knowing you are true enthusiasts.

Under bonnet air intakes don't help engine performance, when they are running at full torque on hot air. You can hear it come off song as it climes a hill with no blower or turbo to help. Air forced in by the cooling fan does help to keep the pressure up under the bonnet but that is hot, making the problem worse. Domed air filter intakes design's tends to lower the pressure in the filter body as well, as it is trying to get air from a flow going past at 90 degrees. I know its not standard but if you replaced the two intakes with small forward facing short bend intake's with a wire grill across the opening to keep out any debris it will make quite a difference to its performance on grades, helping its breathing, and the man looking after the gear changing. Just my thoughts, Its a long time since I have seen a proper rig like that doing what it was intended for. I am presuming it is a Roller making the noise, they need cool air for best performance. Keep the temperature down on the heads and all of those little grommets will last a lot longer.    

1 hour ago, john1950 said:

Under bonnet air intakes don't help engine performance, when they are running at full torque on hot air. You can hear it come off song as it climes a hill with no blower or turbo to help. Air forced in by the cooling fan does help to keep the pressure up under the bonnet but that is hot, making the problem worse. Domed air filter intakes design's tends to lower the pressure in the filter body as well, as it is trying to get air from a flow going past at 90 degrees. I know its not standard but if you replaced the two intakes with small forward facing short bend intake's with a wire grill across the opening to keep out any debris it will make quite a difference to its performance on grades, helping its breathing, and the man looking after the gear changing. Just my thoughts, Its a long time since I have seen a proper rig like that doing what it was intended for. I am presuming it is a Roller making the noise, they need cool air for best performance. Keep the temperature down on the heads and all of those little grommets will last a lot longer.    

That is an original Hercules engine, it runs superbly given its age.

2 hours ago, john1950 said:

i agree with what your saying john but the C6 rolls in jason's rag top is only 175 horse and with the original transmissions the gear ratio gap between 3rd & direct is big so when loaded soon as you hit a hill your changing regardless. really you'd need a 220 cummins or bigger to warrant worrying about cooler air i think. the british army ran them like this grossing 90 tons for years and the radiator does do a good job keeping the smaller rolls cool. 140-150 degrees F is nearly always maintained. 

though i will say for a fact the rolls is definitely more lively at night, not enough to make it pull better but you can hear it sounds crisper.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

That is an original Hercules engine, it runs superbly given its age.

the rag top is rolls powered richard, air cleaners are mounted differently under the bonnet so a conventional bonnet can be used. the hard cab on the trailer is hercules powered still  

Just thinking back to when you bought your first Diamond T almost by accident and now you have 5!! Must be the most Diamond Ts owned by one person. Well done Sam, look forward to seeing another restoration. How are the Morrises coming on?

13 hours ago, john1950 said:

Do you now have one Roller and one Hercules powered T and is that a wrecker in the background?

the restored 980 is rolls powered then i have 2 hercules powered 981's, 969 wrecker and a 972 tipper think that's enough just got to get them all back on the road. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnwardle said:

Just thinking back to when you bought your first Diamond T almost by accident and now you have 5!! Must be the most Diamond Ts owned by one person. Well done Sam, look forward to seeing another restoration. How are the Morrises coming on?

Graham booth has owned more T's think 14 or so over the years. the armoured morris should be going off for some metal work end of the year finger crossed john

Just as an aside, a ball park figure of 1 per cent fall in power output for a diesel engine for each 10 degrees increase in air temperature above 90 degrees F. 32 degrees C. manifold intake temp.  Taking sea level as the norm, Normally Aspirated engines loose an average of 3% per 1000 feet of altitude, Turbo's loose 1.5% in none electrically managed engines.

Edited by john1950
addition correction