Hi All, I was driving through Carentan on Sunday and saw this Diamond 981 parked at Paratrooper Vehicles. It is quite original with a Hercules diesel and wouldn't take too much to put back to standard. The cab is quite good and I think it has been restored before. It is in the colours of the US Navy and by the look of it, it is a non runner but has been kept under cover. I know the people at Paratrooper Vehicles and if it is for sale I will post the price. It would make a good project.

Hope of interest.

Tony G

Hi Tony.

I don't know if you have seen it but they have advertised the 981 on milweb. The asking price is 12,500 Euro's.

Regards....Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54830[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54831[/ATTACH]

this is from the diamond t 981 im restoring now. the cab was very rusted. its not a bolt and nut restoration but it had been stripped down to the frame. i left the axles, engine and the transmissions in the frame.

Is it possible we can see all your Diamond T's in one photo or in some photos please.

they are stored for the winter at 3 different places. i can take more pictures. the first one i bought was a 981 open thats still under frame of restauration.no 2 is the one with the barrel. it has no barrel anymore. no 3 is an open top bought from malmköping military museum here in sweden. no 4 is bought from england. its the one with the rogers and the t34. no 5 also bought from england. an open top. that is the one im restoring on previus pictures. no 6 and 7 from the same place in england. 2 open top, one need paint and canvas, the other one is very good, only need some tlc. i have decided to stop there when it comes to 981. i also look forward to line up 7 diamonds at my place. maybee we can have a meeting here.

CIMG0763.JPG

CIMG0764.JPG

CIMG0796.JPG

CIMG0398.jpg

olle 114.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54840[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54841[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54843[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54845[/ATTACH]

they are stored for the winter at 3 different places. i can take more pictures. the first one i bought was a 981 open thats still under frame of restauration.no 2 is the one with the barrel. it has no barrel anymore. no 3 is an open top bought from malmköping military museum here in sweden. no 4 is bought from england. its the one with the rogers and the t34. no 5 also bought from england. an open top. that is the one im restoring on previus pictures. no 6 and 7 from the same place in england. 2 open top, one need paint and canvas, the other one is very good, only need some tlc. i have decided to stop there when it comes to 981. i also look forward to line up 7 diamonds at my place. maybee we can have a meeting here.

Many thanks Harper, nice to see them all in one group, best of luck with your restoations. Good that you are in a postion to retore and preserve an iconic vehicle, would love to see all them at Dorset.:drive:

:banana::drive::drive::drive:

:thumbsup: That looks a nice clean build, now I would really love to have that in my zoo!!

I feel you mised a photo opportunity there, Bernard - could have had Rugged posed underneath between the wheels :shocked:

Just thinking the same thing myself Tony, that really is an outstanding contribution to the bonkers world of Beltring!:clap::clap:I saw it trundling around but never got near to it.

Many years ago I met a chap at a rally who drove Diamonds during the war. His T was 'HOTSPOT'. In this picture (photo 1) you can see them celebrating with Carlesberg beers ( look carefully and you can see the bottle labels ) after a Panther tank crew (photo 2) surrendered to a British unit together with a Lica camera. I have about 40 photos of this Diamond unit all taken in Italy. This chaps job was to transport the Panther the length of Italy to a rail junction, hence the celebration on arrival.

Photo 3 shows another T in the unit, HOT RHYTHM, along with Italian mascot. When I met this chap, probably 25 years ago, he still had the Lica camera and said that it still took a good photo.

Photo 4 is for the trailer buffs. Is this a German trailer? It shows a 70 ton King Tiger in good condition being towed by a DT. I wonder if this is the one in the Samur Museum in France which is a 'runner'.

All the best. Tony G

hi new to this site great threads especially the diamond t one my father drove them throughtout ww2 in north africa and italy and he told me some great tales , sadly he passed away before the internet was invented he would heve loved this site I would be interested to see the other ww2 pics you have in case he was in one, I used to be a lorry driver and saw many DTs on the road as wreckers up and down the country but have not seen one for any a year so it great to see so many ipreservation keep up the good work lads, cheers fredm

this is no 4. it has a bad rod bearing. it is for this one i need an engine. i found one,thanks to ruggyjohn. we gonna change motor i this one in januray. it also need canvas & markings but that is on the shelf. the reason for the bearing failure was that previus owner drove it without oilpressure. problem was a clogged screen in the pan. wen i buy one i alwas check screen in pan and the radiator with often also is clogged or full of rustpieces from inside top tank.

diamond t.jpg

Beautifull collection over there in Sweden Harper !

For my work as truckdriver I am a lot of times in Sweden

and don't see ww 2 trucks often.

Good to see there are T- fans over there too.

At the moment I am restoring a 981 myself, ex Belgium

with a Volvo engine. Not original engine of course but it

drives normal speed.

Hope my message and pictures comes over well; its my first.

Best wishes from Holland for all in 2012,

Klaas

diamond dag en nacht.jpg

DSC03812.JPG

hi. i saw that in an ad for some years ago. i was thinking how it could run in normal speed because the rear ends are very sensitive higher speed. somebody told me that 40-45 km/h i the limit on the 11:66 ratio. please visit me when you are in sweden. im 100 km north helsingborg on E4 around markaryd.

CIMG0739.JPG