can anyone help

flyingp

i have recently got a humber(flyingpig) 26bk38 it was blue and looking tired. any info on the history and when the pig is driven the old girl vibrates as if a prop had gone ? any advice and parts and hopefully we will be at overlord

i have recently got a humber(flyingpig) 26bk38 it was blue and looking tired. any info on the history and when the pig is driven the old girl vibrates as if a prop had gone ? any advice and parts and hopefully we will be at overlord
My pig vibrates due to the tyres having flat spots caused by being left standing for long periods ! I only drive it a couple of times a year so its just something I have learned to live with ! The driving will not be anywhere near as refined as any modern vehicle so look a long long way ahead for braking and don't try racing anyone from the lights as it will probably break the back axle ! Gently does it is the order of the day ! Have fun and good luck Andy F. Oh and post some pics in the Pig gallery please !

don't try racing anyone from the lights as it will probably break the back axle ! Gently does it is the order of the day ! Have fun and good luck Andy F. Oh and post some pics in the Pig gallery please !

I have a complete spare back axle if you frag yours racing! post could be steep from Aberdeenshire though.

• 2 weeks later...
and when the pig is driven the old girl vibrates as if a prop had gone ?

I used to drive these many years ago... some of the more mechanicaly minded of you might prove me wrong but wern't these fitted with 'half shafts' that were prone to breaking giving pretty much a vibrating clunking effect.

I seem to remember always being told to start in first gear because of this, even though it was sometimes easier to set off in second?

Also the advice you were given about braking is good advice... I believe fully armoured they weighed in at 7 ton 14 kiloweight but the original designed 1 ton braking system was never altered?

AL

Edited by NEWCOMER

I seem to remember always being told to start in first gear because of this, even though it was sometimes easier to set off in second?

Yes AL is quite right. 1st gear engages FWD & spreads the load between front & rear axles. For this reason when reversing, 4WD was to be selected. The problem was that transmission windup occured by 4WD selector being left engaged. An auto disengage mechanism was fitted in 1976.

The sad saga of tracta joints is covered here:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/PIGINAPOKE.pdf

Also the advice you were given about braking is good advice... I believe fully armoured they weighed in at 7 ton 14 kiloweight but the original designed 1 ton braking system was never altered?AL

Braking was upgraded in the sense that a double servo was fitted. Most Mk 2 had this conversion, but it was not part of Op Bracelet. It was to be done as & when the pig was due for an overhaul from 1979. I have seen a few Mk 2 still with single servo.