American bicycles in the service

abn deuce

Bicycles shown here are American models , Many were also purchased or err ammmm aaah borrowed from villages and town's across Britian while Allied soldiers were stationed there during WWII

2208944897_bdb17024d0.jpg

On a ship of the USN, a batch of bicycles is raised by means of a crane US Army (the paras of 1942 with until February 44 see themselves allocating bicycles) and the USAAF (to some extent of the military models for other of the civil models coming from the surrounding villages in the United Kingdom). The US army has its own models (in two man types bars of slightly round framework horizontal standardized in October 42 and woman tallies in "V" standardized in February 43. Except the framework, saddle and the pinion the remainder is identical) the manufacturers are Huffman Manufacturing Co & Westfield Manufacturing Co alone of the minor details differentiates two manufacture, mudguard, drawing of the plate. But all is interchangeable, towards the end of the war the round form leaves place with a tube of horizontal framework. One of these cycles is with the museum of Ste Mère Church.

I think they're all british bikes most seem to have rod brakes, narrower tyres and bigger straighter frames than the US equivalents. I'd love a vintage american bike but am the wrong shape for the frame... ie short arms 'n' deep pockets!

I had a modern beach cruiser that I converted look like like a 40's service bike but decided i liked my pre-war raleigh better!

• 2 months later...

Dug out of the barn this weekend and (partly) dusted off for a spin!

I think it was a delivery/GPO bike at some point, hense the lugs on the frame fat tyres and heavy chain... but its a nice ride and cost a fiver so you can't go wrong really!

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

To think we used to nick and wreck 'em when I was a kid...then bikes got gears and started to look interesting. I had a post war Raleigh that used to do things by itself, like refuse to brake in the dry (I ended up on a Mini roof at some traffic lights). Then there was the time the chain came off when I was impressing this stunning girl. Everything came off, the lights came apart, the lot, Ever Reddies and stuff everywhere. (nothing of hers came off as a consequence!)The front wheel came off once. Then a fool nicked it off me. Poetic justice. We were young and stupid.

MB

Dug out of the barn this weekend and (partly) dusted off for a spin!

Are you not tempted to stick a twin vee belt pulley on the rear wheel and bolt that spare Briggs & Stratton engine which you found in the same barn behind the saddle? :shake:

Are you not tempted to stick a twin vee belt pulley on the rear wheel and bolt that spare Briggs & Stratton engine which you found in the same barn behind the saddle? :shake:

These were quite common in Germany when i was there, but had a small 2-stroke engine mounted to the handle bars. You fired up the engine (pull start) and released the safety catch and it sat either side of the front wheel :cool2:

Always good for a lift home back to school if you were going to be late for lights out.

Ashley

Been done. There used to be little beasts with engines either behind the saddle or inside the back wheel. I remember an old guy who used o putter about on one. Mind you at 200 + miles to the gallon, I'd like to find one now.

Cyclemotor was one make,............there was another type that 'drove' the front wheel, being mounted in front of the handlebars;............

They were invented in 1946 in France by Solex, called Velosolex, later bought and shut down by Yamaha, over 8 million sold, now being manufactured with original tooling by a firm in Hungary.

I have seen them for sale. The original idea was you could buy a bike, then fit the back wheel or buy the entire bike. But where as bikes at the time were about £7 10 shillings, (payable at 5 shillings per week on the HP) these were about £25.