Matador Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
due to loss of storage

I hope you have somewhere else to work on her organised, The Mat has always been near the top of my favorite vehicle list. It looks like you are well on the way with this one,please keep us informed on progress.

The forced storage move has actually been quite good - it's cheaper, and in a better building. It's also meant that some things have been completed quicker than they would otherwise. I have thought about doing a restoration blog, but progress is pretty slow, so updates would be quite infrequent. But I suppose there aren't any other matador restorations documented in much detail, unless there are some I have missed!

Nick

The forced storage move has actually been quite good - it's cheaper, and in a better building. It's also meant that some things have been completed quicker than they would otherwise. I have thought about doing a restoration blog, but progress is pretty slow, so updates would be quite infrequent. But I suppose there aren't any other matador restorations documented in much detail, unless there are some I have missed!

Nick

A restoration blog would be very informative, Nick, the Matador is such an iconic motor, many of us would be very interested. Anyway a slow restoration will give you loads of time to write about it

Hi Nick, it would great to see your Mat coming together on a blog. I recently collected a second Mat, both of which are at the start of the restoration process. The second Mat is in much better shape but still much work to do. I will put some photos in the next week or so. Just need to work out how to get photos loaded, any tips would be much appreciated.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

That is my old truck! I have a poor photo copy of that picture somewhere.

She didn't look as fresh as that when I acquired her she had half a Leyland PD grille and no sign writing left on. I fitted a nice AEC grille from a Militant amongst all the otehr work (new clutch, radiator, rear springs, brakes, fuel pump, re-wire...the list goes on).

• 3 months later...

I thought it was time for a few new Matadors, so here we go. These were all for sale in Cumbria in 1998

IMG_20140312_0001.jpg

No details on this one except it looks like a very early one

IMG_20140312_0003.jpg

This one says "1951, very good runner, cab fair, complete with part of original body £880"

IMG_20140312_0005.jpg

"1941, v.good cab,engine in bits, missing radiator, fuel tank and compressor £880"

IMG_20140312_0004.jpg

1941 timber tractor.

I could have had all of them for £3000!!!!!

I don't know what happened to any of them. I suspect they all ended up being scrapped. They were too far way for me to consider.

Edited by 16svt

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent a couple of nights browsing through the thread and how i envy you guys that have the mechanical know-how to take these lorry into your workshops and restore them to their former glory. I salute you all.

My collection of Matador lorry amount to about 6-7, all Airfix of course :nut:

Ian

There has been a Matador sitting between Junctions 15 and 16 (or the other way around dependent on which way you are travelling) in a field on the right-hand-side by a woodpile for a number of years now. The cab came off it about five or so years ago and sits on its front with a sheet over it, whilst the chassis is visible sheeted up by the fence.

I wonder if anyone else has spotted it, or even visited it. Always look out for it every time we head north, hoping that some day somebody might save it!

Scott

There has been a Matador sitting between Junctions 15 and 16 (or the other way around dependent on which way you are travelling) in a field on the right-hand-side by a woodpile for a number of years now. The cab came off it about five or so years ago and sits on its front with a sheet over it, whilst the chassis is visible sheeted up by the fence.

I wonder if anyone else has spotted it, or even visited it. Always look out for it every time we head north, hoping that some day somebody might save it!

Scott

Hi Scott, I too have seen it, although I thought it must of been the Bedford RL timber crane that used to be on the other side of the motorway. It was there for years, and even had a TK cab fitted at one point, then it disappeared and the sheeted up chassis appeared on the other side.

Thanks

Austin

Not seen it but will be looking out for it on tuesday when heading north. I assume it's M6, is it on the left or right when heading north ?.

Cheers

ian

Ha yes would have helped if I'd have said which motorway, but you guessed correct Ian in saying the M6. It's pretty visible on the right-hand-side as you head north. After Keele services and before Junction 16.

Scott

Hi Scott, I too have seen it, although I thought it must of been the Bedford RL timber crane that used to be on the other side of the motorway. It was there for years, and even had a TK cab fitted at one point, then it disappeared and the sheeted up chassis appeared on the other side.

Thanks

Austin

Yes that RL seemed to just disappear. However that was just before Junction 15 so a good five or so miles from where this one is. It has been here years, I'd say whilst that Bedford RL was still in operation. If you look closely you can see the Matador cab lying on the floor. Glad someone else has seen it though.

Scott