Matador Gallery

Going through the front diff is the helical pinion assembly. There are caps on both sides. Under the deeper cap is the Pinion nut. The cap has eight bolts. the diff ratio is stamped on the end of this cap.

On the rear diff the stamping is on the top of the main casting, that has the diff built up inside it. the diff

Edited by antarmike

I am off to GDSF Monday night 18th or Tuesday morning 19th, so after this week-end I won't be near HMVF after that for 2 1/2 weeks. I have most manuals, workshop and drivers, and Clayton Dewandre and Westinghouse air braking manuals for the Matador. If I can be of any help I will be, but I am soon to be off this board for a bit. (Joys/ pressures of being a Section Leader!) Good luck Ed.

Right, done some paint scraping and it looks like I've got a high speed diff on the rear (6.25) and a low speed on the front (7.9). Judging by the paint the front axle must have been on for some years, but it explains the front wheels skipping and slipping in 4wd on wet grass!

I would have though the rear axle would have been first to wear out, I guess whoever swapped the front axle wasn't aware there was more than one axle ratio available!

Don't suppose anyone has a high speed front axle laying about? I've seen a pair on ebay but £850 seems a bit steep to me! I suppose I need the whole axle really as it appears the high speed front axle has additional grease points in the centre of the hubs.

Alternatively I guess a low speed rear diff may be easier to come by, no doubt this will throw the speedo reading as the drive seems to be taken from the transfer box for this. Will a low speed diff drop straight in?

Any thoughs?

Regards, Ed

You can keep the same speedo. The drive at the gearbox has different ratios and needs to match the axles, but only one head is ever used. Rebuilding the front axle to change the diff is a really big job. Getting the swivel assembly of to withdraw the half shafts is a pain. Changeing the rear diff is far easier. The Half shaft caps screw onto the hubs. Whip these of and the shafts come straight out.

Believe it or not when the Fensom Bros. from Friars Wash ( and Colmworth) were using matadors on timber haulage, Albert used to carry two different ratio rear diffs with him. When loaded and running to the saw mill he put in the 7.9. As he was being unloaded at the Mill he changed the diff to the 6.25 for the run back with an empty pole trailer. Swapping again after loading.

He reckoned he could change the diff in 10 to 15 minutes and the increase in road speed from 30 to 38 MPH made it worthwhile!

He also put in a bigger engine at a time when most people were buying F86's and the like but the Fensoms stuck with Matadors, Federals and Douglas's

28-03-2008192644.jpg

If you had bought a Matador from him on the wrong day you would find a different ratio front and rear!

Edited by antarmike

Cheapest way to go unless you really need the four wheel drive option is not to use it so as not to have the drive line fighting its self . Guess disconnecting the front axle would be the best .

Um, I thought the whole point in buying a Mat was to have good offroad capability. That approach seems a bit like buying a Ferrari, and putting in a Capri engine!

Re speedo drive ratio, I suspect this Mat was built with 6.25 ratio diffs. The Auxiliary gearbox has different ratios to suit different axles. You need to check the ratios on the Aux Gearbox plate to see what the |Mat was built as. You can swap the speedo drive pinion to suit. BUT:-

The Mats built with 6.25 axles have a higher ratio in low ratio, than the 7.9 axle Mats.

This results in almost identical Aux box in low ratio road speeds for the two diff ratios, but a higher road speed when the Aux box is in higher ratio if the 6.25 diff is fitted in place of the 7.9

I suggest you sort out difs (whatever it takes to match the Aux Box)

Edited by antarmike

Whats the function of the circular register atop the engine cover ? to draw in air from the cab ? or to send fumes into the cab while parked ?

Seriously I would like to know .

Whats the shift pattern like on Matadors are all Matadors the same ?

I like to see these barn finds most interesting, hopefully they will remain safe until restored one day - got to leave something for the next generation to do!

I've never seen one with a circular thing on the bonnet before, may be a homemade attempt at letting some warm (fumey) air into the cab perhaps?

Shift pattern is the same on all, H pattern,4 speed, first is over to the left and forward. Reverse is on a dog leg, over to the left, lift, left a bit more then back if I remember correctly. There are two levers to your left which move up and down. One engages high or low ratio, the other 2WD/4WD.

Regards,

Ed

This one used to be my baby, I sold her a while back as we moved into the military thing although she was obv ex military in the livery she is now in it isnt welcome at military shows!!! for obv reasons!!!

Thats the reason I like Steam Rallys,..........usually a great mix of differing vehicles,.......quite a few ex mil, doing another job. :)

Yes we do more military shows than vintage shows so it was wrong to just leave it in the shed collecting dust and I felt it would be better to go to someone who would take her to vintage shows etc and where it would be welcome!! I was very sad to see her go, but life moves on and I bought a mk3 militant in replacement! which is in military form so welcome at military shows! :0)