soyer stove

Does anyone have multiple photos of a soyer stove and dimensions and sketches that would aid in building one.

I know we used them in New Zealand but have never seen one in the flesh as it were, I also believe we built a home grown version the outer casing being similar to a large dairy can.

From what I have seen on the internet the stove is a solid fuel burning weatherproof unit that has a removable pot.

What I don't know is if once the pot is removed is the fire open to the top or is there a second skin keeping the the fire and smoke contained and directed to the smoke stack?

Soyer stove new.jpg

New soyer stove 2.jpg

Invented by the Celebrity Victorian Chef Alexis Soyer. Used from the Crimian war on.  I think some went down in the Atlantic Conveyor on the way to the Falklands conflict.  The pot sits straight in, no other liner.  Desinged to burn any solid fuel, the food was put in muslin bags and tied around the edge of the cauldron. The curve of the cauldron is designed to give an even heat all round. You will find a lot of photos  from the Great War and Crimiea if you look on line.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Soyer

Compared to file cabanit that looks about right. You then add the Standard Army Chef reply to 'What is it we are eating tonight? How should I know I'm a cook not bloody Sherlock Holmes.

Edited by Tony B

I been thinking of the same concept as well making up a field kitchen on wooden wheels as per our WW1 interests. That Soyer unit looks simple in design to construct a replica. Perhaps a commercially made large pot for the inside as the start for all measurements then outwards.

The references given are helpful but not dimensions are there. 

Almost the size of a milk can from years ago 

Doug 

13 hours ago, Radek said:

Radek;  My son has shown me your Facebook page photos. A superb selection of a cooking camp site. The three different sizes of the stoves are interesting and show the varied uses they can be put to. Can you measure up the sizes and draw a plan of them. I would like to make one, or one of each size..

Doug

Managed to get home and amongst my readily available cook books is "Feeding Tommy", it does show a Soyer stove, its written by Andrew Robertshaw, it says he is the Director of the Royal Logistic Corps Museum.

There is no indication of sizes etc.

The book was published in 2013.

There is a reference to "Manual of Military Cooking and Dietary 1918"

Edited by Surveyor