Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gents, is olive drab as appropriate a color for a pig as deep bronze green?

Depends on the era you want to depict. In a European theatre a Mk 1 would be high gloss DBG. Maybe a few in the late 60s might have had OD, but I doubt it.

Mk 2 straight after conversion would have been DBG. I expect very rapidly repainting was continuously needed & that would have been OD.

But after Dec or so 1980 would be NATO Green. The IRR properties were irrelevant to an urban environment so no doubt old stocks of OD would have been used up after that date.

hi gents, well the transferbox has been taken off , and the pinion has been removed and what a mess, will take some photos of the pinion , ow its so upsetting, but know all my electrics had packed up , im getting no power to my dash board, i think ive got a lemon. and every axal i found has been bought, so i cant get anotherone, and i havnt forgotten you clive,

Paul, I see that you have the winched version of the TF box. Not a problem provided that the winch dog is locked by a plate so it can't be engaged otherwise you would lose drive through the main output drives.

PS

Paul, if no power, check the obvious earths etc & that your batteries haven't gone flat on you. But remember there are two thermal cutouts (30A & 10A) hidden in the Distribution Box No.1 Mk 1 ie the box with the inter-vehicle jump start socket. The 10A one supplies instrument panel & starter solenoid & this may have failed.

But do go round checking all the bullet connectors are secure. But it is worth just unplugging one at a time to make sure the is no corrosion & that the lips each end of the double ended females do overlap the rubber rim of the plug. This ensures the plug is fully home & reasonably waterproof. It is so easy for the female lip to get caught & permanently distorted so that the plug doesn't go fully in & moisture can ingress. Even if there is no obvious problem, it does some good to connection mating surfaces to get disturbed once in a while. Often you can spot a failure that is about to occur!

Whilst you are at it clean the yellow marking rings on the lead. If they are illegible your tying labels on or dabs of paint just so you know what came from where in the event of the leads getting tugged out by mistake.

PS Just seen your other post. There are also fuses inside the top cap retaining plate of the Gen Panel No.2 but these effect charging. The batteries go through the two cut outs in the starter socket box.

Edited by fv1609

• 3 weeks later...

hi gents , heres one for you all , i had my pig weighed . and she is over 9 1/2 ton.. had a lorry turn up to collect it, and she was too heavy..bigger lorry tomorow, but where has all the extra weight come from..???

Was shocked when I miss read the first part of your message ! I thought it said you had weighed it in ! Glad I re-read it ! How is the axle repair progressing mate ! Do you think you will be showing her again soon ? I hope to see her one day at the War and Peace show ! Good luck with the move tomo !

hi andy . no i havnt weighed it in.. ive removed the pinion from the transferbox so i should have front wheel drive, but now i know the weight of her. better get a new pinion and crown wheel, AAHHH, and if this recession finally ends. i will low loader her to war and peace this year,, the only problem i have now is all my electrics have given up. plenty to do

If you can get her there I reckon a week with all of us fiddling about we should get the electrics sorted ! Be very gentle with that front axle mate ! You've got me wondering how much mine weighs now ? I suppose you should add the weight of the crew,passengers and all their kit too ! No wonder they broke a lot ! :idea:

thanks andy i will do my best, hopefully a few of the lads at overlord show will piont me in the right direction, as electrics is not my strong piont, the problem is more than likely right infront of my nose, LOL

where has all the extra weight come from..???/QUOTE]

You have wings both sides & on the roof, ever tried lifting a wing - they are quite heavy. The figure 7797kg for Mk2 is the basic vehicle not a flying pig.

Also it doesn't seem to be widely known but the first Mk2 Pigs did not have the heavy hydraulic operated visors. Carrying just one visor is a struggle for even 2 people. It is conceivable that the data in the EMER never got updated.

If you have a winch that will add considerably to the weight.

thanks clive. and yes it took 3 of us to lift a wing off. as i dont drive her at all . the wings sit in my garage. and i cant wait to see your shorland... well im really looking forward to overlord show , it will be my grandsons first introduction to the mad world of MVs. hope to see everyone at the wkend,

I am well impressed with the trailer, it is barely noticeable on the back under tow, and its the same width as the Pig near enough, so nice and easy to reverse. And been deep, it swallows up the camp gear and my 7 KVA generator, which is a bit excessive for a dozen bulbs and pin prick lighting, but it will run a number of big electric kettles if required!

I am well impressed with the trailer, it is barely noticeable on the back under tow, and its the same width as the Pig near enough, so nice and easy to reverse. And been deep, it swallows up the camp gear and my 7 KVA generator, which is a bit excessive for a dozen bulbs and pin prick lighting, but it will run a number of big electric kettles if required!

Next time we go camping the oven and microwave can get thrown in:-D

hi adam if your at war and peace i will pop round and see how big your kettle is. i love a good cup of tea..LOL plenty of room in your trailer for tea bags and moo juice. and i will bring my own microwave oven meal. take care mate

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
My Pig at the B.A. stores, vintage working weekend, complete with trailer.

Looking good Mate:thumbsup:

Hi been quite for a time but have somme pics to throw on and a question to be answered. Does being a member of The Mvt cover you with public liability insurance for attending shows etc?

The pictures show hopefully our complete range of vehicles, the Pig is at the back doubling up as our kitchen/admin area at our latest show Arclid Transport Festival.

Cheers Fasttrax

P5030006.JPG

P5030004.JPG

P5030007.JPG

P5030009.JPG

P5030008.JPG

Edited by FASTTRAX

Hi been quite for a time but have somme pics to throw on and a question to be answered. Does being a member of The Mvt cover you with public liability insurance for attending shows etc?

The pictures show hopefully our complete range of vehicles, the Pig is at the back doubling up as our kitchen/admin area at our latest show Arclid Transport Festival.

Cheers Fasttrax

Funny how the Pigs become the epicentre of events, at our recent bash, i landed up carting all of the canvas and most of the living gear for our small part of the military vehicle group, brought along the barbecue and supplied the electric, turned a very dismal wet saturday night into something amusing and liveable, when most people had hit the sack early.

16052009163.jpg

16052009164.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all lovers of The Pig,

Here is my contribution to the photos. Lots of MPs but nevertheless there is a Pig of sorts there in the background. Sorry the VRN is obscured. This particular model was the 1(BR) Corps Provost Company, Royal Military Police, Bielefeld, Command Post c 1968. I am the Sgt in the centre of the picture. I was told by my boss to stand next to it and look important. I told him that I knew nothing about the damn thing. He said that should I be asked a question about the CP just bul.sh.t my way through and cough a lot! As it happened the Brigadier was not in the slightest bit interested, just wanted to get away for a G and T. Happy days.:)

Martin.

RMP PIG191.jpg