Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

Only need a brake pipe (cylinder to union) any ideas?

I think you will find that this has the same terminations as the hose for a MGA part no. SBR051.

The catch is that the bore is slightly narrower, so it will have a different flow than the hose on the other side. But the repro hoses that a company in the Midlands sell also have this limitation. Although I once discussed this anomally with the proprietor who felt that the flow of fluid would be just the same irrespective of a narrower bore!

I would suggest that whilst you are at it you replace the same hose on the other side. That outer one does seem particularly vulnerable & I think you saw a pig at W&P with the same hose having failed.

But if you haven't yet replaced any hoses perhaps it is time to replace the lot?

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shall be DBG.. I intent to baremetal. red oxide/grey/og/dbg nice and thick and smooth..

Why bother with "og"

then I intend to build an outdoor storage cover to keep it dry..

If you made it out of say a 12 x 12 we could all come round when it rains at the showground.

Make sure the exhaust has the heat shield on the down pipe, you dont want the shock rubber melting.

Have you got your bit of asbestos ready?

That firm in the Midlands who do the brake pipes also make a repro pig exhaust system. But I've never seen one in use & don't know what it consists of..

Have you got your bit of asbestos ready?

That firm in the Midlands who do the brake pipes also make a repro pig exhaust system. But I've never seen one in use & don't know what it consists of..

Is this supplier know for champ bits?

Paul will he be able to reproduce this though?

Pigexhaust.jpg

It is needed from a noise point of view, but I always thought that an exhaust/silencer system was designed to give a predetermined back pressure for optimum engine performance. I can't find that written down anywhere, but had it fixed in my mind. Perhaps others can comment.

At least there is a bit of room to play with under there. On the Hornet I used to use the silencer of a Midivan. It was the only thing that would fit as the Hornet had the silencer under the radiator with the tail pipe exiting in front of the offside wheel.

Exhausts are tuned to length, each time the cylinder discharges into the exhaust system it creates a pulse of X amount of gas, which fills a length of the exhaust system, usually a number of these pulses are required to fill the exhaust, (which is where the tuning length comes to play) but they also draw out the exhaust gases from the cylinders, the gas pulses racing down the exhaust cause a vacuum scavenging the exhaust gases from the cylinder, helping to clear it and allowing space for a fresh full intake to be drawn in for the next cycle. I think a slight restriction usually provided by the silencer helps to compress the gases slightly, so when they get past the silencer they speed up, again helping with the extraction of gases.

I'm sure there is a better explanation but thats the way i understand it works!

Exhausts are tuned to length, each time the cylinder discharges into the exhaust system it creates a pulse of X amount of gas, which fills a length of the exhaust system,

Adam,

I think that is more to do with high perfomance engines. In our subject, ie military vehicles, I can think of different applications using the same engine but having exhaust systems of vastly differing lengths. Of course the silencer can be "adjusted" to compensate for a longer or shorter pipe length.

What about vehicles with no exhaust silencer ? :confused:

I can think of one "vehicle", not military, which was built from new with a long straight pipe and no silencer. Engine was a 4 litre Austin straight six petrol / TVO and sounded superb on load.

A straight pipe of certain diameter and length might well give enough back pressure, all dependant on the engine as well of course.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

So if i do away with my straight through pipes and fit silencers to my boat it may be more efficient and go

FASTER :yay::yay::yay: