Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

It looks like a modification so that a weapon can be fired forward by the vehicle commander, the slot is off right of centre and the bulge forward would give more space to operate a weapon, then again it might be a food blender!

Official though? who knows, cue clive!

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't the fogiest, presumably some sort of weapon. Never come across a hatch like that before in pictures or in EMERs. I expect it was authorised in a LOCAL E&MEI BAOR, such documents are local & short lived & should be destroyed after a year. So very few survive.

I have some draughtsmans drawings, I've never really studied before but I see that was for fitting a Karl Gustav & that went on the roof.

The pigs seem to keep company with the Wombat Unimog, they would of been expecting some fierce street fighting in Berlin, and the two platoons of infantry travelling with the wombat platoon, would of been engaged in alot of face to face encounters with the russians had it gone hot, so maybe it was a modification to allow fire to the front while remaining hatches down, giving the infantry covering fire to allow them to de-bus.

SCLI Unimog towing Wombat

SCLI wombat Unimog.jpg

No WOMBAT there mate..... that's a MOBAT....

The SCLI had it captioned as a Wombat, but then i suppose that was the later variant, and its a tube on wheels in much the same vain, hence the photo title error.

Good photos though! which is the main thing!

Edited by Adam Elsdon
Because its gone 2 in the morning and i can.

The pigs seem to keep company with the Wombat Unimog, they would of been expecting some fierce street fighting in Berlin, and the two platoons of infantry travelling with the wombat platoon, would of been engaged in alot of face to face encounters with the russians had it gone hot, so maybe it was a modification to allow fire to the front while remaining hatches down, giving the infantry covering fire to allow them to de-bus.

thats a nice unimog, something different to take to shows methinks!!!!!

Mark :cool:

Yup when Bracelet started this is how they were turned out. When the mod was launched in Soldier it showed the flimsy windscreen covers which looked to give less protection that the visor-periscope arrangement of the Mk 1.

I have never been able to define when the vision blocks in the heavy visors appeared. I have never found it described in an EMER or EMER index unless it was issued as a Local E&MEI (Northern Ireland).

Clive, do you have tyre pressures for a MK1, looked in the user handbook but i cant find any referencei have a couple of sets of military issue brass stencils that were used by paint shops, so when i get the final coats of Olive Drab on, the next thing will be marking it up with TP's and Lubrication markings etc.

Adam things like tyre pressures, oil types etc are in the Servicing Schedule.

Assuming you still have Mk 1 tyres "RF HS"

Front 25

Rear 40

If it has Mk 2 tyres "Reinforced"

Front 30

Rear 60

If it has Mk 2 tyres "Extra Reinforced RF"

Front 20

Rear 47

Don't mix types on the same axle

This is where tyre kicking does no good or even just looking at them. When I first had the Hornet the steering was a bit peculiar, both front tyres 0 psi!

A matched pair of Mk1 RF on the rear axle and a matched pair of Mk2 RF Reinforced, so 40 on the rear and 30 on the front. I guessed previously at 35 psi all round, so not too bad!

When i first collected my pig, i thought it had interesting handling characteristics, all of my tyres were 0 psi! couldnt visually see any difference when i put wind in them, but the handling was a big improvement (for a Pig).

I have been busy painting the Pig and the Brockhouse trailer to go with it over the Easter weekend, still some stuff to sort out with it, but its all coming together! The trailer looked a bit of a state prior to attacking it with hammers, a hi-lift jack to straighten out the tub and an angle grinder fitted with a twisted wire brush to flatten out the 1/8th inch of flaking paint in places.

13042009134.jpg

13042009130.jpg

As a point of interest. I THINK this pic was taken in 1965. I have just acquired a vast amount of personal effects that belonged to a Major Rochford-Rae,Grenadier Guards. who was Brigade Major in Berlin at that time. There is a couple of photo albums in with it all & there are a few pictures of that Parade (Royal Review) in 1965. amongst pigs, Cents, Ferrets & just the tail pic of the Mobats being towed. But it is not possible to identify the prime movers. Now I know what the they are - Unimogs! Also some auto union Mungas for the RMP & the SCLI marching past.

Facinating stuff, & Im enjoying researching this Prominant Officer! :yay:

looking good Adam. how much are those trailers to buy? there is one near me being used as a water bowser on a farm, its in great condition, i'm going round when i get the chance to see if he will sell.

I bought mine from Anchor Supplies in Nottingham last year for 170 quid, they were cheaper than the smaller Sankeys, mainly because they arent so popular due to the larger size, which is the very reason i bought it, as it is the same width as the Pig, which makes it a much easier proposition for towing, as you can see it in the mirrors, particularly when reversing, which makes it a doddle. Also the wheels are 20 inch and the whole set up looks like its made for each other.

The only adaption required is changing the Electric socket on the pig to take the later NATO socket, which i have still to sort out.

It was converted to carry a couple of Generators 3.5 KVA and had left overs of exhaust brackets and various nuts bolts and earthing straps when the generators were removed, i have removed most of the leftover bits to make it more G.S. (General Service) in appearance.

13042009133.jpg

13042009140.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Tah very much!

Just went outside with a torch to get this!

The trailer plate describes it as:

Trailer Cargo 1 Ton 2WH Brockhouse

Cont No. WV2037

Veh No: 18 EN 91 Chassis BT8/18190

The Brass plate on the front of the trailer, near the top of the tub describes it as:

Power plant elec 2 - 3.5 KVA 120/240V

S/P 50 C/S NO.1 MK.2 Trailer 1 Ton

6115-99-102-2998 SIM/T/0107

It was used by the Royal Signals, as there was the remains of a Blue and White Tac marking on the tailgate.

hi gents, well the transferbox has been taken off , and the pinion has been removed and what a mess, will take some photos of the pinion , ow its so upsetting, but know all my electrics had packed up , im getting no power to my dash board, i think ive got a lemon. and every axal i found has been bought, so i cant get anotherone, and i havnt forgotten you clive,

pig bits 004.jpg

pig bits 010.jpg

Let's hope you don't find a fuel leak whilst you're under there :shocked:

yes it was careless of me but my ciggy had gone out, and it stayed there most of the day, which meant no one could hear my screams:argh: when i hurt myself.but i was told i sounded like mutley off the wackey races for most of the day:-D