Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Looking at all these pics of the Pig,makes me want one again.oldgit.gif CW any more room in the yard.

You have got enough old dogs in the yard i dont think the two mix.:rofl:

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

starter motor has packed up? i have power but have to give it a hit and then she will go. ive had the back off and it looks dusty inside.. any ideas. ??? weather permiting will take it out tomorow,, and give it a good clean,, is there anything i should look out for ?

Paul first thing to check is there a click from the starter motor when you turn it on? That means the solenoid is working. Most likely cause is either some of that salty Portsmouth air has corroded the terminals a bit, but mostly likley is that your carbon brushes have worn down.

Isolate or disconnect the batteries, then disconnect the two fat power leads to the motor then the little multi-way plug that supplies the solenoid. Remove the motor I think it is three bolts.

Whatever version of starter motor it is take the rear cover off. Identify the carbon brushes on their springs & lift them out of their holders. Now this is a bodge but it works for me. I know one should use new brushes etc. But roughly judge the rectangular sides of the brushes, then look for some old motor or go to a vacuum repair shop & buy brushes of similar size. Then trim them with a fret saw & shape with sandpaper to make up a block of carbon that will freely slide into the brush holder.

Then replace the original brushes on top of the new bits & that will last you for years. Gloves essential when handling the brushes, very messy otherwise.

Paul you will have better access it you remove the nearside front wheel & then the side armour panel. That will mean you can really get in there rather than trying to reach down from the top with elongated arms not really seeing what you are doing & blocking your light.

But access is everything & time spent with the wheel & panel off will save time & frustration.

Be careful removing the two fat power leads to the motor. The plastic insulators are quite brittle & gently ease off the terminals making sure you've slackened the clamping bolts. Make sure you have isolated the battery as there is a permanent live connection to the starter motor.

When you have got if off make sure the bendix gear can move up & down the shaft. But it will depend which type of starter you have the CAV (most common), Simms (less common) or Bosch (very rare).

yep ive got the side armour off, and im only little so i can get in there pretty easy.LOL, and the starter motor is no.1. MK2/1.. on the pageA28. thats off the disc you sent me. it looks a bit more simple than the otherones,, will keep you posted.. thanks again clive

With all respect to the Pig, surley they could have got something better?

Would of thought it'd be ideal, cheap to buy, and a useful size compared to a Saracen sized vehicle, also they drive like a car, nothing complicated, so anyone can drive one after a bit of basic tuition, and its the same sort of size as a large van and very adaptable internally to different roles, not new, but still capable.

Lets face it, even if the engine/transmission gave them maintenance grief, it wouldnt be beyond a capable police garage to fit a different engine and box as a replacement, a good choice of vehicle......although i am biased!

Paul test it before you refit it again.

Connect jump leads to the terminals (should be marked) securely tape them in place to make sure they don't spring off or touch the case when the thing jolts into action. Then connect the batteries, carefully take a small jump lead from pin A to the + terminal to activate the solenoid. The gear on the shaft should shoot to the end of the shaft as it revolves. Unless you can demonstrate it works in that configuration, it is a waste of more time just putting it back in again.

hi gents. thanks clive. tried it no joy, more money, one wreck for sale, offers invited

The wreck, now is that the pig or the owner? Sorry Paul you must feel wrecked but chin up, forwards & upwards etc.

No joy? Not even a click when you join "A" to +ve?

Yes but its in CMV mag it would have been on Miliweb months ago?

hi gents, well still no joy, so its anotherday at it.. this might sound stupid but can anyone post a picture of a starting handle .. as i have never seen one, and yes clive you right im the wreck,,LOL and like you say onward and upwards...

Here's one from a Ferret.. not sure if it will be the right length for a Pig... Marcus Glenn stocks..

crank1.jpg

still no joy with the starter,

In what way?

Paul, have you been testing it out of the vehicle with jump leads as I suggested?

Does the solenoid at least work? If it does does the starter draw any current? If it does do the battery volts stay up? Is the any movement from the shaft?

hi clive i conected it like you said and there was no movement from the soleniod , but if i manuelly push the conector plate forwards it engages the starter, so my plan this morning is to have my jeep running and conect my jump leads to the batteries on the old girl and try that, as a friend of mine was supposed to have been dropping down to me, a voltage tester, but he never turned up,. so as i havnt been able to check what power is running through her system,.. so there could be a possability my batteries are a bit duff, will give it a go this morning,,hopefully will be going very soon to bannisters to get the rear axal, then i can get stuck into the old girl and have her running.

Paul

You should get a resistance reading of 5 ohms across pins A & B, which are for the solenoid winding.

The circuit diagram in the User Handbook & Parts List is incorrect for Mk 2/1. It shows B as having no connection. In fact the -ve of the solenoid winding does go to B as well as the main starter -ve. (It is correct for the Mk 2)

I would find out the price of this rear axle first. I thought you were having this one off me, I think you will find it is considerably cheaper. But mine is from a GS so the transfer box has different ratios. But if your axle shaft(s) have failed maybe the transfer box is usable? But if you go for this other one do make sure it is pig to ensure you are getting the correct transfer box for your money.

I have a wooden jig made up to assist in supporting a complete rear axle, you can have. When you do it make sure you are on level ground. Make sure the front wheels are seriously chocked & support the rear with substantial things. It is scary underneath with no rear axle. I have some railway sleepers you can use.

quick update, she,s running. jumpleads from my jeep into the pig, had to manually conect the rear plate and she run, turned over a treat, i feel so happy. its made my day just to hear that lovely B60 running, so thing are looking up, i have a smile from ear to ear. fantastic, so thanks for everyones advice and help through my times of trouble