Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble locating suitable replacement hose locally. It's the spiral bound stuff for the front brake servos I'm after. Can anyone shed any light on where to get it please or a suitable modern alternative? Ta Daz

If (for whatever reason :whistle:) you decide you should really have hose which is approved for automotive use, then it is not easy to find.

I had a real job when sourcing some for my Constructor - eventually got it from an oilfield supply co. in Great Yarmouth (a lot of help to you, I know :-D). Not expensive, just a pain to track down! I'll see if I can dig out the name.

And then of course you discover that dear old Scammell (bless 'em) made the fittings at each end of some hoses a very slightly diferent size, so the hose end diameters are moulded to match :argh:

I've no idea if Explorer ones are the same :???

The hose used for pneumatic drills is the right stuff, you can reuse the spiral wire off your old ones if it ain't too rusty. Try your local plant hire firm, ask for a few off cuts.

they were not all wire bound I think this is a later thing.

Thanks Gritineye. Much appreciated. Daz

If (for whatever reason :whistle:) you decide you should really have hose which is approved for automotive use, then it is not easy to find.

I had a real job when sourcing some for my Constructor - eventually got it from an oilfield supply co. in Great Yarmouth (a lot of help to you, I know :-D). Not expensive, just a pain to track down! I'll see if I can dig out the name.

And then of course you discover that dear old Scammell (bless 'em) made the fittings at each end of some hoses a very slightly diferent size, so the hose end diameters are moulded to match :argh:

I've no idea if Explorer ones are the same :???

Thanks NOS. It would be useful to have their contact info also if you can find it. Not sure about the different end sizes, just another thing to find out as Thor's restoration shuffles along! It makes Scammells so individual.....:nut:

Hi Daz. The company Details that I sent you, supplied to Scammells and Unipower and many others for the commercial vehicle industry they will

make them from a drawing or a pattern.

Regards.

Clive

If you'd care to share the company details with me too I'd be very grateful!

Tony

If anyone is interested in these hoses you can contact me on my website protruckservices@gmail.com

The supplier of the hoses would normally deal only with vehicle manufacturers in quantities of 100s, but if there is enough interest for these I could possibly get a very favourable price from him on a small quantity as the owner is a personal friend of mine.

Clive.

Edited by protruck

hi i can have these hoses made up to any lenth

the hoses are 5/8 int dia 25 bar air hose and have a spiral gaurd over the top (this usually is on hydraulic pipes ) however i can put this onto your hose as req

also i can post them via carrier note the jubalee clips have now been replaced with heavy duty bolt clamps

please just ask

oils of various specs also available just ask for a price you may be surprised

or call or e mail my work

furnessfluidpower.co.uk

we are always happy to help

hope this helps

chris

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

I had some hoses made up for the Matador where I reused the pig tails, and swage crimped them into a standard air hose, with a spiral wrapping in place. Looked very neat because it does away with the Jubilee clips. Regent Hose and Hydraulics at Hemel Hempstead did the but where I now work ve have two hose crimping machines so the next ones I do like this I will do myself.

I had some hoses made up for the Matador where I reused the pig tails, and swage crimped them into a standard air hose, with a spiral wrapping in place. Looked very neat because it does away with the Jubilee clips. Regent Hose and Hydraulics at Hemel Hempstead did the but where I now work ve have two hose crimping machines so the next ones I do like this I will do myself.

Due to some new H&S regulation the hose suppliers will no longer re-use existing hose ends as they did in the old days. However, they are happy to cut the old swage off and crimp the hose on to a new compression fitting which looks a mess.:argh:

Just so as there is no confusion on here the ball valves on my scammell are suitable for both air and oil they are just more heavily made to withstand more pressure than a standard brass ball valve (i have this on the data sheet from stauff)

this info is just in case you like me didnt have any valves at all, and need to pull a trailer with air brakes like me

hope this sorts the confusion

chris

Have a look at this Chris, something I was unaware of until 6x6 pointed it out, I would think those valves would have much the same effect!

I'm pretty sure this was the problem with Jule's Militant brakes as well, can't find the post though.

Quote:

Obstructed breather vents on the front palm couplings may not be the cause of your brakes locking on but I hope it is because it's a problem that's so easy to remedy. These vents are usually a small hole in the centre of the depression on the dummy pressing which locates on the coupling when it's not in use. These holes can become blocked by paint. The other type I'm aware of is a primitive one way valve in the form of a flexible washer at the same location. This sort can also become gummed up with paint or old age.

Being unable to release air pressure through the front couplings causes the vehicle you are driving 'think' it's being towed by another lorry which has, via air lines, just applied it's brakes. Typically, this fault occurs at traffic lights on busy main roads and just about any where else where it will cause the maximum chaos.

And from NOS

Quote:

I think you might have just solved an annoying problem with a certain RAF Constructor - thanks 6x6 !!

Thanks for that although the air pipes on mine when i got it had been removed and a blanking cap put on for what ever reason

i can see no reason how this would work any different than what i have done, the brakes work fine and have never given any faults in my ownership

i will keep quiet now as this is dragging on now

cheers chris