Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The space isn't normally occupied by a C8, My Antar is a Model R6 (C6T) not a mark3. You couldn't get a C8 into my chassis, which isn't the same as a Mk3. My transmission is totally different, and cross members don't fall in the same place.

To get the engine out means taking out the Radiator, power steering pump and propshaft, first cross member, which means pulling bolts on the front spring mounting, The rad guard has to come out to get the Rad out. A larger amount of the cab floor out than is needed if the gearbox comes out. Front air couplings and pipes have to come off. I can't remember how much else We had do to get the engine out out. It is still a fairly major job. The rear enginge mounts aren't exactly easy to get to.

23-01-2007191505.jpg

The manual says the front bumper has to come off, but there is about 3/4" to play with, and it you are careful, the bumper stays in place.

Manual says alterntive method to get engine out, is the take the cab off then lift it and the maingearbox out vertically...

Edited by antarmike

When you take the C8 out of a Mk 3 you are presumably taking the clutch with it. In the Mk3 only the clutch mounts to the engine, then a propshaft connects to the main and Auxiliary boxes. (You can't really take the Engine out and leave the Mk3 clutch behind. there is nothing left to support it ) This means once the prop is out you can tip the C8 front end up to get it out past the front crossmember. In the C6T Antar, if you take the engine out by splitting the engine from the gearbox, you are leaving behind the Clutch release arms in the in its bell housing, and the main gearbox rigidly bolted to the back of this bell housing . This means you cannot lift the front of the engine, until the clutch, bolted to the flywheel is fully drawn of the input shaft from the gearbox. The Engine has to be drawn forward 12 inches until the input shaft is out of the clutch release bearing support tube, and only then will it tip up at the front. This extra 12 inches of forward movement needed before tipping takes up all the length saving of the C6 compared to the C8.

Edited by antarmike
I am an idiot and I got it wrong...

When you take the C8 out of a Mk 3 you are presumably taking the clutch with it. In the Mk3 only the clutch mounts to the engine, then a propshaft connects to the main and Auxiliary boxes. (You can't really take the Engine out and leave the Mk3 clutch behind. there is nothing left to support it ) This means once the prop is out you can tip the C8 front end up to get it out past the front crossmember. In the C6T Antar, if you take the engine out by splitting the engine from the gearbox, you are leaving behind the Clutch release arms in the in its bell housing, and the main gearbox rigidly bolted to the back of this bell housing . This means you cannot lift the front of the engine, until the clutch, bolted to the flywheel is fully drawn off the input shaft from the gearbox. The Engine has to be drawn forward 12 inches until the input shaft is out of the clutch release bearing support tube, and only then will it tip up at the front. This extra 12 inches of forward movement needed before tipping takes up all the length saving of the C6 compared to the C8.

You are also talking heavier items. Roills C6T is 1250 Kg, Radiator 93 Kg, etc, Taking the gearbox of the back is only 312 Kg, and I needed to draw out the clutch operating cross shaft, to remove the clutch operating arms for remedial work, and the cross shaft wont come out with the gearbox still in the chassis. (I would have to have mag drilled an 1 1/4" hole in the chassis to allow it through, and I didn't want to put holes in the chassis that shouldn't be there.)

Edited by antarmike

I been told to post you some pics!:cool2: So here one from last summer...

Thank you very much indeed ! An excellent picture and what a lovely trailer. Seeing this has cheered me up for the whole day. Have you owned your Scammell for very long ?

Another pic, but may already be on here- my mate 'big chris' has put a load of pics on in the past.

I think XSK460 was once owned by Paul (piggy)Thompson from Gretton nr Corby Northants have got some photos somewhere will try to find them this weekend