Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than filling the holes. Andi's second Airtank was better than the first, which had a new wrapper rolled for it, The second was just cut away locally, and strips rolled to go in where the corrosion was worst, around the fixing straps and brackets.

Anything is possible, and I pressure tested to 150 PSI after welding just to make sure there was a safety factor.

Rather than filling the holes. Andi's second Airtank was better than the first, which had a new wrapper rolled for it, The second was just cut away locally, and strips rolled to go in where the corrosion was worst, around the fixing straps and brackets.

Anything is possible, and I pressure tested to 150 PSI after welding just to make sure there was a safety factor.

Thanks Mike !:-D

hi andy he doesent know what the air tank come off he just found one the right size from a breakers:)

Thanks for asking mate ! I've decided to have new parts rolled after advice from Mike and Tony ! Nothing ventured nothing gained ! :sweat: Spent the day scraping old paint off and discovered that the rear axle is stamped 6x6 9/55 just to the right of the oil filler ! Also that the "felt" grease seals (thanks Bernard)for the walking beams will need replacing as some have rotted away and fell off ! I thought they where cork as they seem to have fossilised !:nut:I was having so much fun I didn't notice the snow had fallen again until I climbed out from under !:shocked:

Hong Kong, story to follow, if you casn't work out what is happening!

Although, I should be patient, and wait until all is revealed, it seems to me that the final photograph, showing the DT and Explorer, was taken at a different location to the other pictures in the sequence.

Whatever, a great story and pictures ! Thanks for posting them.

Edited by 6 X 6

I am presuming the tank was being towed back to the Base in Hong Kong (backwards) when the tail started wagging the dog, instead of the other way round. Shot shows one Explorer pulling the tipped over Explorer back up, another shot shows it back on its wheels, ans presumably the DT is going to bring the tank back, but this time it'll be the Dog wagging the Tail not vice versa. I can't see what is steadying the Explorer as it falls back onto it's wheels. ( maybe the DT was used for this purpose also, but the explorer next to it has its rope run out, so maybe we see three different explorers here. )We were given these prints At Belvoir Castle. At the moment I can't find the letter that accompanied them to give credit to the original photograher. (a serving service man at the time of this incident.

( maybe the DT was used for this purpose also, but the explorer next to it has its rope run out, so maybe we see three different explorers here. )

Don't think that is it's rope Mike, it is too low down. More like using a straight tow to right the other one, or reversing to prevent the casualty crashing down.

If my short experience of towing a Centurion on a Holeybone is anything to go by, it looks like Explorer might have been trying to turn left and the tank wanted to go straight on. The tanks momentum pushed the Explorers rear end round until the off side wheels dug in and found some grip and over it went!

The Explorers tow hitch is too low for a Cent as the Holeybone sloped down to the hitch, if it was the same with this one that would lift the rear of the Explorer when pulling and so it would have less grip. the Explorers high c of g. and the sloping ground helped as well I think. It looks like the tank kept pushing after the Explorer had laid down as it's well up the bank beside the track.

Wrong vehicle for the job certainly, as I found out! it would tow it OK even up a slight slope, but even at low speed the Cent took charge of Forceful, it was very strange feeling drifting sideways while towing. :shake:

In this video you see Andy get in and steer the Cent after that happened.

Something went wrong...

Interesting set of pics Mike, thanks!

Joris is a clever chap isn't he?

Edited by gritineye

but even at low speed the Cent took charge of Forceful, it was very strange feeling drifting sideways while towing. :shake:

In this video you see Andy get in and steer the Cent after that happened.

:shake::shake::shake::shake: Useful post, thanks for sharing the experience.

A bit of a close call there !

I think having the front axle engaged helped in my case and of course the flat ground, the worst case would have been a jack knife, the rubber block tracks gave the Cent extra grip, metal ones may have slipped more easily.

Many hours of my life have been spent getting sideways off road so my opposite lock reaction was completely instinctive, which also helped.

All very entertaining for the few in the crowd who even noticed!

However this does show the risks involved when playing with big kit, I won't be doing that again :sweat:

An un-ballasted DT may well have had the same problem using a Holebone, does the DT in the pics look ballasted? Does anyone know?.

when i was suspend towing the spare explorer back on a holebone that was a bit long you would get rearwheel steering if you dident get the lift right. mind you it did have two leyland 680 up on the back of the spare one:cool2: but once i got the lift right 30mph all the way with just a few interesting places:-D