Scammell Explorer Gallery

Hi I am having to redo the cab as the rust worms have taken over and we are getting wet !!

I am looking for some door rubbers - do any of you know a good supplier?

I am also looking for advice on how to get the roof corners right - any suggestions and advice would be great?

Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also looking for advice on how to get the roof corners right - any suggestions and advice would be great?

Hi Thor,

I bent the curved corner sections bit by bit around an old bit of telegraph pole until they were right. Also try these for rubbers-I can't guarantee they can help but worth a try:

Past Parts

Unit 4 Chase Road

Northern Way Industrial Estate

Bury St Edmunds

Suffolk

IP32 6NT

Telephone. +44 (0)1284 750729

Fax. +44 (0)1284 756240

E-mail. restore @ pastparts.co.uk (remove spaces)

Daz. :)

Hi I am having to redo the cab as the rust worms have taken over and we are getting wet !!

I am looking for some door rubbers - do any of you know a good supplier?

Thanks for your help!!

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Explorer than me will be able to advise better but Woolies have quite a range of period rubber extrusions. Or just put on another jumper...that works for me in my Land Rover.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-322-extrusion.aspx

Hi Thor,

I bent the curved corner sections bit by bit around an old bit of telegraph pole until they were right. Also try these for rubbers-I can't guarantee they can help but worth a try:

Past Parts

Unit 4 Chase Road

Northern Way Industrial Estate

Bury St Edmunds

Suffolk

IP32 6NT

Telephone. +44 (0)1284 750729

Fax. +44 (0)1284 756240

E-mail. restore @ pastparts.co.uk (remove spaces)

Daz. :)

Hi Daz - thanks for that - will give them a call on rubbers, the ones in there are in a bad way and the boy is picking holes in whats left of them which doesn't help.

Will have to get roof off and then speak to GPS - he has had a go at a few telegraph poles in his time - he might have some laying around - oh I wish laughing smiley was working !!

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Explorer than me will be able to advise better but Woolies have quite a range of period rubber extrusions. Or just put on another jumper...that works for me in my Land Rover.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-322-extrusion.aspx

Will check this one out as well - thanks for that.

I think dive suit would be better as there is that much water blowing in !!

I should not complain as up to now the bodywork has held up really well-I don't want to do it as I enjoy the spanners much more than tin or woodwork, I have come to the conclusion if I rip the old roof off then I will have to put a new one on or have the first convertable scammell explorer on the rally field and with our summers that really isn't an option.

Let us know how you get on Thor as mine are shot to bits too. Not a problem at the moment with the through-flow cab, but I'll have to find some at some point. Past Parts are very knowledgable and stock many different things, so they are often my first port of call. Cheers.

Hi Daz - thanks for that - will give them a call on rubbers, the ones in there are in a bad way and the boy is picking holes in whats left of them which doesn't help.

Will have to get roof off and then speak to GPS - he has had a go at a few telegraph poles in his time - he might have some laying around - oh I wish laughing smiley was working !!

you know it was only the one it was just missfortune it was connecked to the others. besides they are now half lenth the other half is still in the ground.Kept BT in work, took them three days and a closed road to sort it out.:shake: BIG BILL:argh::argh::argh::argh:You have to pay if at fault,yes i was driving it was the vans fault anyone would think he had never seen a convoy of scammells, and where theres one theres more:cool2: next time ill hit the van and mount it as a hood orderment :-D

No Nuts leave trenches with all the blasat you carry !!:rofl:

Why you got any scrap you want me to haule, got up to 14 ton and still got space for more, started swopping the iron for lead takes up less room and is heavier :cool2:

Let us know how you get on Thor as mine are shot to bits too. Not a problem at the moment with the through-flow cab, but I'll have to find some at some point. Past Parts are very knowledgable and stock many different things, so they are often my first port of call. Cheers.

will let you know going to do the roof first then look for door rubbers:)

Why you got any scrap you want me to haule, got up to 14 ton and still got space for more, started swopping the iron for lead takes up less room and is heavier :cool2:

church roofs will look funny with iron on:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

img438.jpg

This one still belongs to Bill Hesleton and he's just fitted a leyland 680. I have just bought one of his old petrol engines to put the crankshaft in my diesel. I think he still has the petrol engine he has just removed and may (Will) want to sell it. This explorer still goes out on heavy winching jobs and he has great archive of photos of winching jobs and i mean really heavy stuck and well and truly buried winching jobs. He also has one of the prototype foden heavy wreakers which i think he said has all the the gear that the army did not fit to the fodens they finally orderd. He is the Police approved recovery firm for the north of wales. Also has a leyland cabbed militant (think he had about 7 once but sold them all for the foden.) Ex army coles crane 25ton. Plus the usual other more modern recovery trucks . He did mension he may want to sell his land rover 2b recovery truck as he never uses it.

img438.jpg

This one still belongs to Bill Hesleton and he's just fitted a leyland 680. I have just bought one of his old petrol engines to put the crankshaft in my diesel. I think he still has the petrol engine he has just removed and may (Will) want to sell it. This explorer still goes out on heavy winching jobs and he has great archive of photos of winching jobs and i mean really heavy stuck and well and truly buried winching jobs. He also has one of the prototype foden heavy wreakers which i think he said has all the the gear that the army did not fit to the fodens they finally orderd. He is the Police approved recovery firm for the north of wales. Also has a leyland cabbed militant (think he had about 7 once but sold them all for the foden.) Ex army coles crane 25ton. Plus the usual other more modern recovery trucks . He did mension he may want to sell his land rover 2b recovery truck as he never uses it.

Could you see if he would be interested in joining the forum and sharing his experiences if you see him again please Rob ? Oh and what sort of money he wants for the old Meadows ? Ta :-D

i was asked to put pics on here hope it works.1st my first back in 1993 was a to bigger job and other partener in prodject pulled out so ended up in 2nd pic last two pics is of no nuts when i got her in 1998 just got her home, big job still doing jobs now. :-D

scammell2.jpg

scammell 4.jpg

scammell 5.jpg

scammell 6.jpg

Hi here are a few pics of Thor with the roof off - as you can see she is in a pretty bad way :-(

Need to do a few more panels as am now this far in

Has anyone toyed with a rag top explorer - could be a first for the rally field:rofl:

Daz - your telegraph pole idea worked a treat - thanks :cool2:

Roof.jpg

Roof1.jpg

Roof2.jpg

Roof3.jpg