Form V112G

fv1609

I consider myself lucky in so much as the bloke who does my MOT's used to work for someone who did a bit of Jeep dealing back in the sixties and he has quite an in depth knowledge of the breed. When I first put mine on the road one of the younger testers at the garage failed it on several things so I complained and he retested it and passed it no problem, he was less than complimentary about his young protegee in the process. I think one of the phrases was " He must think it was built in 1994 not 1944". I always ask for him to do it now and I have had no problems, he's not a pushover, he'll always tell me if something will need addressing soon or won't last to the next test, an all round good egg.

• 3 weeks later...

You have got to do this with the thing sat flat on the floor on level ground assuming you are going to be driving on level ground during the test. I had to do mine on a bit of a slope, so I set it whilst further up the slope.

There are two main adjustments. The one allows the dial to spin free or spin free then lock at its highest reading. You need to first set it running totally free.

The other adjustment is a wing nut that tilts the meter. Free the nut & tilt it so the meter can be nearly zeroed. Tighten the nut then do a fine adjust on the serated wheel adjacent to it.

Then set the meter so it locks on maximum reading position, but is still at zero. Then off you go & brake like hell & see what the reading is, hopefully more than 25%.

Keep the steering wheel with a loose hold & feel whether the steering wheel tries the pull to one side. If & it does, attend to the brakes on the side away from the pull.

I was just looking through EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 028 Inspection Standards for Trailers. If you want to test the brake efficiency of your trailer. Needs two runs at 20 mph with trailer & two without. Then take average.

E1 = Braking efficiency of prime mover

E2 = Braking efficiency of prime mover & trailer

L = Weight of prime mover

T = Weight of laden trailer

Trailer brake efficiency = (L + T) x E2 - (L x E1) then all divided by T.

L should no be greater than 3 x T

L should not be less than 4/5 T

Trailer brake efficiency should exceed 45% to pass.

• 2 months later...

Interesting. Found a similar meter at http://www.bowmonk.com/brakemeter.htm that behaves just like the 'g' meter in the Chipmunk I flogged around in. Might have to look into acquiring one for when it comes time to set-up the brakes

To return to the V112G topic, I’ve been looking at various DVLA documents, and it would appear that if my post-1960 truck, exceeding 3500kgs mass, not towing a trailer, being a ‘mobile project vehicle’ carrying ‘articles required for the purposes of display’ could be declared exempt from MOT testing on Form V112G (schedule 2 of the Goods Vehicle (Plating and Testing) Regs 1988, item 14) ‘adapted for, and used primarily for……carrying equipment permanently fixed,…used for…educational, display use, not involving...sale’, and as a bonus, since I got my B license before 1997, I may also be exempt from the requirement to renew my C1+E ticket, under similarly worded advice on DVLA doc INF52.

At least that’s how it looks to me. As to how VOSA and our esteemed colleagues in blue might see it……….?

To return to the V112G topic, I’ve been looking at various DVLA documents, and it would appear that if my post-1960 truck, exceeding 3500kgs mass, not towing a trailer, being a ‘mobile project vehicle’

It has to be registered as a "mobile project vehicle" you can't just call it that..

To return to the V112G topic, I’ve been looking at various DVLA documents, and it would appear that if my post-1960 truck, exceeding 3500kgs mass, not towing a trailer, being a ‘mobile project vehicle’

It has to be registered as a "mobile project vehicle" you can't just call it that...

Thank you. I shall have to remember that at the appropriate moment.

It has to be registered as a "mobile project vehicle" you can't just call it that......

Thank you. I shall have to remember that at the appropriate moment.

Yorkie,

I think that has been tried before, it is aimed at things like childrens play buses, mobile exhibitions, etc. Classic vehicles don't really come in to that. At least if it is tested you can carry something without the fear of running foul of the law.

Richard

Back in 1972 when we brought the ALBION CX22 .I went to the HGV testing station at purfleet. The man in charge went through all the exceptions and found that we could use exhibitions vehicles as a exception .And for driving .because none of us had a HGV licence .It weight is about 9 tons. 8.11 feet wide 24feet long. We got the exception

because the vehicle was going to be kept at IWM DUXFORD .And still is. It will be out for The DUXFORD SHOW & hope to take to BELTERING TONY CORBIN

Back in 1972 when we brought the ALBION CX22 .I went to the HGV testing station at purfleet. The man in charge went through all the exceptions and found that we could use exhibitions vehicles as a exception .And for driving .because none of us had a HGV licence .It weight is about 9 tons.

Tony,

That would have been a problem then because it was at the time of the exemptions for pre-1939 trucks. Now it is pre1960, you are exempt test and HGV licence for a truck like yours and it could now be on an ordinary Historic class.

That was also the time when a lot of old trucks had an RSJ stuck out the back with a chainblock on, so they could get the mobile crane / breakdown class, again not a problem now, no need to go to those lengths.

Richard

I asked a friend who's a traffic police offcer this very question on driving a post 1960 Historic Military Vehice on a normal license and this is his replay - might be of interest to you - particalrly section q (ii):

Wow what a low baller that was, do you write promotion board questions by chance??

You have most likely looked at DVLA site, personally I found it more user friendly than any of the reference books we have at work!!

Look here http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/special_licensing_arrangements_f.htm

The section I think applies is q

constructed or adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of;

i. play or educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment, or

ii. articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary.

Drivers must be aged 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years. A mobile project vehicle may only be driven on behalf of a non-commercial body. However, drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 are not subject to these conditions

The last bit seems to cancel out the conditions? Also look at clause L, would your vehicle be of this age or younger?

To be honest in this day and age I very much doubt that,

1) you would ever get stopped.

2) The 'Hombre' that stopped you would have any idea of which exemptions you could claim, (unless you struck the jackpot and met an 'old time' traffic cop, of which we are a dying breed!!).

Hope this helps, it is worth thinking of a couple of points though. If you decided to contact DVLA and they said Niet, would your concience allow you to go ahead regardless? Knowing you I think not. If however you decided to go ahead based on what you interpreted from the DVLA web site, and lets face it if they can't get it right who can? if you ever got stopped the worst I could see you could be reported for is 'driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence', this is a very broad offence brought in to 'simplify' things, in reality it is a get out clause for all the little shits, but if you were to defend yourself and point out that you were only driving based on the info you gleaned from DVLA web site then I think you would get off.

It's a very listened to defence by the courts these days, "I would never have done it if I knew it was illegal your worship" In these days with the all powerful Human Rights act, they have to justify to you why they find you guilty, and IMHO I think they would struggle given what I've said above.

Still awake? Isn't traffic law interesting?

Thanks, Neil, that's the detail that I tried to summarise in my earlier post.

I think the next time I'm invited to sit in the back of a Traffic car I might raise the issue with the experts. It's not that I doubt your friend's word, but my local constabulary are the one's who'll see me out and about. :lol:

As for the plating issue, surely Schedule 2 Item 14 might similarly apply, in that the reason we drive HMV is as a vehicle used to 'educate', by 'displaying' to the public?

I don't want to carry goods and chattels (unless the missus wants me to return her to her native land), and as a driver of a large vehicle, I am well aware of our obligations regarding the servicability standards expected. I'm not sure that the VOSA inspectors want me jamming up an already overworked and understaffed system any more than necessary.

Andy. A Yorkshireman, and thus unwilling to hand over my cash to the Government unnecessarily.