Normandy Beaches WWII

abn deuce

Unloading at Gold Beach on D-day +6

2120351390_1294949f00.jpg

French caption

Le LST -21 (équipage USCG) Force G, Groupe "A"

Il transporte les éléments de la 56th Independent Inf. Brigade rattachée à la 50th (Northumbrian) Inf. Div. sur Jig Green Gold Beach à Arromanches . Et doit débarquer les troupes à H+6.

Le Sherman "Virgin" est un modèle OP (Observation Post), il est transporté sur le Tank deck, il fait partie du HQ Brigade de la 8th Independent Armoured Brigade (voir le signe tactique 993 combiné à l'insigne de la brigade : la tête de renard rouge sur fond jaune), le camion à gauche est celui du Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) lui aussi de la 8th Armoured Brigade.

Les unités et éléments de la 56th Brigade embarquent à Southampton. Le 1er juin, le LST transporte 20 officiers, 205 soldats et 73 véhicules. 4 juin un Rhino ferry F-100 et un Rhino tug qui seront remorqués. 5 Juin départ en direction de Le Hamel & Arromanches.

En route le Rhino tug coupe ses amarres et part à la dérive.

12h10 le 6/6/1944, le LST-21 arrive devant Gold Beach. Il "lâche" son Rhino. 13h50 les six DUKW du 705th General Tranport Company sont mis à l'eau.

Pendant ce temps "Jig Green" est sous les tirs d'un 88mm situé à l'ouest d'Arromanches.

15h40 le premier transfère sur le Rhino ferry pour la plage (moment ou doit est prise la photo, puis que c'est le Tank deck qui est vidé en premier.)

19h15 le LST-21 se dirige vers le Rhino ferry qui a du mal à avancer du fait des courants marins. Le LST embarque alors 13 blessés qui arrivent sur un DUKW. Le Rhino ferry rejoint enfin le LST à 21h45 et repart à 22h40 avec ce qui reste des véhicules.

A 22h30 et 22h42, il est pris pour cible lors d'une attaque aérienne allemande mais sans dégâts.

Le 7 juin à 11h20, il repart en convoi vers Southampton, et arrive à East Solent à 20h55.

Il retournera sur Jig Beach le 10 juin, avec 40 véhicules et 146 hommes.

Nous le retrouverons le 31 juillet à Cherbourg déchargeant des wagons reportage

Edited by abn deuce

Translated the caption with http://bablefish.altavista.com

The LST -21 (crew USCG) Force G, Groupe "A" It transports the elements of the 56th Independent Inf. Brigade attached to the 50th (Northumbrian) Inf. Div. on Jig Green Gold Beach in Arromanches. And must unload the troops with H+6. Sherman "Virgin" is a model C$op (Post Observation), it is transferred onto the Tank deck, it forms part of the HQ Brigade of the 8th Independent Armoured Brigade (see the tactical sign 993 compound with the badge of the brigade: the red head of fox on yellow bottom), the truck on the left is that of Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) him also of the 8th Armoured Brigade. The units and elements of the 56th Brigade embark in Southampton. June 1, the LST transports 20 officers, 205 soldiers and 73 vehicles. June 4 Rhino F-100 ferry and Rhino tug which will be towed. June 5 departure in direction of Hamel & Arromanches. On the way Rhino tug cut its mooring ropes and leaves to the drift. 12h10 the 6/6/1944, the LST-21 arrives in front of Gold Beach. It "releases" its Rhino. 13h50 the six DUKW of the 705th General Tranport Company are launched. During this time "Jig Green" is under the shootings of a 88mm located at the west of Arromanches. 15h40 the first transfers on Rhino ferry for the beach (moment or must is taken the photograph, then that it is the Tank deck which is emptied in first.) 19h15 the LST-21 moves towards Rhino ferry which has evil to advance because of the marine currents. The LST then embarks 13 wounded which arrives on a DUKW. Rhino ferry joined finally the LST with 21h45 and sets out again with 22h40 with what remains vehicles. With 22h30 and 22h42, it is taken for target at the time of a German air attack but without damage. June 7 with 11h20, it sets out again in convoy towards Southampton, and arrives at East Solent at 20h55. It will turn over on Jig Beach on June 10, with 40 vehicles and 146 men. We will find it on July 31 in Cherbourg discharging from the coaches report

Was at Ver sur Mer on the 60th anniversay, the only official living history camp. we were by what was known at Lav pan house. the road up is called 50 div way. We will back there in 2009 so book early folks.

PS Fantastic welcome, whole villiage turned out to greet us, and the Calvados, :angel: :angel: :angel:

• 11 months later...

from the Life magazine site

note the camo colors was this a UK army vehicle ?

halftrackonNormandybeach.jpg

American GI looking over disabled vehicle, part of the vast amounts of supplies and equipment which are being unloaded daily onto beaches along French coast following victorious Allied D-Day invasion.

Location:Normandy, FranceDate taken:June 07, 1944Photographer:Frank Scherschel

from the Life magazine site

note the camo colors was this a UK army vehicle ?

halftrackonNormandybeach.jpg

American GI looking over disabled vehicle, part of the vast amounts of supplies and equipment which are being unloaded daily onto beaches along French coast following victorious Allied D-Day invasion.

Location:Normandy, FranceDate taken:June 07, 1944Photographer:Frank Scherschel

I'd guess the picture is British. AFAIK, only British censors removed unit markings from wartime photographs.

Looks like a three-colour camouflage to me (the front plate shows dark / medium / light), I cannot say I have ever seen a colour scheme like this on a British vehicle. There again, I cannot recall seeing it on an American vehicle either. Might it be Canadian?

(Cannot find a "shrug" smiley. Too Luddite to try hard.)

It has a USA military number on the side of the hood would it still have that if it were being used by another country ? Since the soldier is clearly American as is the landing craft behind him , would he have walked into another landing area Canadian or British ? I had never seen any photo's of American vehicles painted this way hence my interest in this puzzle .

I think I have seen some US vehicles painted like this in North Africa and Mediterainian photos. Could this have been shipped from Algiers or Sicily and not been repainted? Also the 231 plate is on the wrong side for a British vehicle.