GMC Workshop to Clubmobile conversion

mick.wilson

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find it FOUR now,...... with the Sherman.

A Sherman ! thats 6 months worth of the rebuilding on its own Jack :lol: .

Hi Mick, re the fuel tank, if you are interested I can obtain a cargo truck fuel tank with brackets, large filler and do a straight swop with your tank, brackets etc.., let me know if you are o/k with this. Regards Shopnut.

Sounds good to me Shopnut :D .

Mick.

At last :D , I have finished the engine off, just missing the pipe from the fuel filter to the pump that is stopping me from firing her up :( (not so sure about the Norwegian purple H.T leads) . Off on holiday next week but will start on the cab interior after a well earnt week away from GMC's.

p1010105_125.jpg

p1010107_143.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the Clubmobile has slowed down a bit, the work I have been doing is a bit boring and time consuming (pulling the inside to bits), every screw and bolt feels as if it has never been moved before. We have finished the extra chasse length and its ready to be put on. After look at photos of Clubmobiles, I have made the rear chasse section as close to the photos as possible (with the two bits of extra chasse protruding from the towing cross member for the body to sit on instead of bumpers), also the spare wheel has to hang under the chasse at this point (you may be able to see it strapped underneath on photo "1")

We have had the engine running and I sounds great (now) but I had to swap the cylinder head over due to a sticking valve :cry: .

Mick.

1_195.jpg

2_490.jpg

3_101.jpg

4_692.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mick.

I dare say you know but this is fanstatic work that you are doing here, a very worthy and unique project and one of historical importance. This may well be the missing link, as link that will give us all a slight insight into Clubmobiles. It is worthy of it's own feature in the relevant magazines and media and should in theory grab peoples attention enough to investigate the history of Clubmobile more and that can only be a good thing.

I would have a guess that you guys will be turning some heads this year......fancy making another one :wink:

Best wishes.

Jack.

Perhaps for stimulation I found this french website on the restauration of a Clubmobile:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/unionjeepvexin/aout%201944%20Utah.htm

Hi Madman,

We met this group in Normandy and at War and Peace last year. This is also a Workshop which has been converted, there are quite a few differences between this and the Original Clubmobiles.

Hatches on the wrong side of the truck, wrong back doors, the compartment above the Cab has been stuck on (You can only see this when they remove the webbing).

It is lovely, but ours will be better :twisted:

Cara

x

P.s, Mick you can't let me down now that I have made that comment. :lol:

Hey Mick.

I would have a guess that you guys will be turning some heads this year......fancy making another one :wink:

Best wishes.

Jack.

Thanks Jack, NO I would not like to build another one, this one is bad enough, when we started it all looked allot easier but the more work I put in the more things I find I have to do (and my May deadline is approaching fast). I have just got back from a snowboarding trip in Poland and have another 2 weeks in Kazakhstan planed for the end of March, so it will be a mad rush to get everything sorted in time. We are strengthening the old Workshop body at the moment ready to cut the hatches and wheel arches out of it. Should get some more photos up this weekend.

Mick.