Help with dating Bedford MW

Carruthers

Just bought an MW with no data plate. It's not an aero screen version nor has it been converted from one. This makes it 41-45 I guess. Can anyone tell me if there are any features that define a particular period of manufacture so I can narrow it down. Andy, you own one so wondered if you can advise, Can't find any books on the subject - no surprise!!

Bedford logo, not Vauhall, in the rad panel and grille mesh on the outside etc. Tapered instrument panel.

Any help appreciated

cheers

Simon

Just bought an MW with no data plate. It's not an aero screen version nor has it been converted from one. This makes it 41-45 I guess. Can anyone tell me if there are any features that define a particular period of manufacture so I can narrow it down. Andy, you own one so wondered if you can advise, Can't find any books on the subject - no surprise!!

Bedford logo, not Vauhall, in the rad panel and grille mesh on the outside etc. Tapered instrument panel.

Simon,

There are several differences over the 4 years after the aero screen version, but they also got "corrupted" on major overhauls or rebuilds, and it would have gone through at least on of tohse. No consideration was given to Contract number, year of build etc. If you have a chassis number, that is the best way, then you can find out if it has the correct dashboard, (2 types), roof cupola, etc.

The chassis number could be on a plate in the cab, also there may be a large dat plate on the chassis under pass side, with post war census number, chassis number and dates of rebuilds. Adjacent to the plate will be the chassis number stamped in side of chassis. The round rad badge would seem like an early one as later, around 42-43 they had a rectangular pressed metal badge with only "Bedford" script logo on it.

Thanks I'll look for the chassis number tomorrow. There's no data plates.

What's the difference in the dashboard layout between early and late and when did it change?

simon,

1940-41 there was a small speedo to the left and to the right, the CAV round switchboard with ign and light switch and red warning lamp. Below to left was a dual oil pressure / water temp guage and to the right, an ammeter.

this was changed at Chassis no. MW23433

1941-45 large speedo to left and to right the combined AC instrument cluster with ammeter, oil guage and warning light. Below in centre is the CAV switchboard.

Richard

HI Richard. As I thought it's the latter instrument set up. Will the chassis number indicate a rough production date??

Tony - totally agree about rebuilds etc. I am working with the components I've got to figure out the date as that's what I'll restrore it as. It will be in desert finish, that's all I know. Going to see a mate who has had one for years and worked on them in WW2. I'll do a complete photo walkaround which will get me started.

Rik. Yes pix on the way pronto mate

HI Richard. As I thought it's the latter instrument set up. Will the chassis number indicate a rough production date??

Simon,

MW chassis numbers and years

1940 1001 to 18750

1941 18751 to 33719

1942 33720 to 46021

1943 46022 to 55885

1944 55886 to 64484

1945 64485 to 66995

Regarding authenticity, it is doubtful that major items such as bodywork and chassis were produced after the war, stocks would be high and plenty of vehicles to use for spares. So any MW that has had a rebuild would still be of WW2 origin, just a bit mixed.

Richard

Hi Simon,

Sorry, only just seen your post,

Richard has answered your questions, I guess...........

How complete is it ??

Also, does it have any 'odd' fittings that might point to what its use was,..........(obviously given the no of years since demob, these could have changed,.............but sometimes not),

for example, rear tilt frame, does it have ariel supports, (flat plate with a hole in middle, maybe four 'legs' dropping down with a smaller plate at end,) which would point toward MWR(radio), another givaway would be a high step with box beneath on drivers side, again pointing MWR.

In rear body tub, does it have spare wheel securing point ??, which would point toward MWD, GS.

Look forward to seeing pic's. :-)

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's not an MWR or at least to bits that are left don't indicate that. My mate here has an FFW with the extra aerial points so I know about those specific features. Basically I have a running truck with a reasonable condition GS body which needs a floor. The cab is dismantled but I have all the bits. I'm not going to go for a ground up resto due to a) time and b) can't be arsed. Having just completed ( nearly) the C8 I would like to do something speedier and have it ready for W&P show, which is still a tall order given that I have 6 months and is cold and dark for most for them!! However I want to do a desert truck, pretty stripped down and very used so there will be no need for it to be perfect, and I can do that later at my leisure. Another truck in bits is what i don't need.

PS I'll have a restored type 2 10cwt trailer for sale about Stoneleigh time .....

Simon

Richard. Ta for the chassis numbers- that will date it nicely mate, if I can find the numbers!!!

HI Richard,

Paint stripper on the chassis under the pass door has revealed nowt. I can see four small holes where a data plate was in that position.

Andy - can you confirm the exact place on your MW please, to make sure I'm in the correct spot. Or have I got this wrong. I'm looking for a number stamped on the chassis, not a plate, right?

Simon

Simon, maybe barking up the wrong tree here. Have you got any id numbers faintly stamped on the axles and bulkhead? Maybe under layers of paint and rust. Have you got any on the C8 you have found?

Rick,

I think that was Morris who did that, Bedford normally only stamp the chassis and have a plate in the cab.

Simon,

The chassis number is in the area of where the post war plate would have been. I cannot check now, because the one that I rebuilt after is no longer here. Think the numbers were about 1/2" high. Widen the area of search!

Richard