Why do we put up with it?

Grasshopper

Why is it that (some of) us engineers (who work on trucks/trains/busses) put up with driving our own vehicles (with many "issues") that most would find intolerable?

My Land Rover discovery has knackered steering, a duff gearbox and it handles like a boat in a force 7 gale. I've been happily been driving it around like it for a year. Any other person would just fix it, or pay for it to be fixed. My partner tolerates driving it, but it scares her on the motorway. I have finally got around to buying a polybush kit to sort the handling after driving it 450 miles in a day, half of the milage done with a pair of armoured doors in the rear. It was horrible.

Is this just me not wanting to work on uninteresting vehicles (or being lazy/tight/skint/busy), or is it just a typical "mechanics motor"?

My friend in the REME says that the REME vehicles are always the neglected ones. Too much time spent fixing everyone else vehicles, not enough time to fix your own. I guess the same goes for our MVs. Too much time spent fixing them, no time left to fix our everyday cars. Also at the end of the day, if you have a choice of something interesting or a car to work on at the weekend, the interesting vehicle wins every time!

Chris

Ever heard the old tale of the shoemaker who fixed everyones but his own? On a slightly more serious note. I remember a safety film about vehicle maintenance, it involved a serious of drivers doing stupid things and being rescued by a mechanic. the climax was the mechanics car flipping and killing him because he didn't check a bulge in a tyre. As for bus maintenance........................... :sweat: