M578

antar

I recently purchased an M578 privately from a guy in North Wales, there is a photo attached of me collecting it. It is in full running order (Detroit V8 425 bhp, Allinson cross-drive transmission). At the moment it is awaiting sandblasting and a new coat of paint ready for next season. Last week two non running M578's were sold in the Withams tender to "a private collector in the south" does anybody know who that may be ?

Best Regards

John Riley

• 6 months later...

I can't help you with info on where the others went, John. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see and hear more about yours when you have time. Something completely different is always nice to see. Spot on.

cheers,

MB

• 1 month later...

I found the others, they went to a dealer in Leicestershire to be cut up. Managed to purchase complete spare engine and transmission, two complete sets of tracks and every part we could remove in one day for very reasonable money.

Norman,

Yes it is, I can only asume then that you purchased the WLF which was in the shed next to it in many pieces. That will make a nice truck especially with the Cummins engine. I bought the M578 to go on my M746/747 outfit. (see recent post under WLF)

John

• 11 months later...

Hi John , sorry I only got to meet you as I was leaving ! Hopefully I'll meet you next time for a longer chat ! Really enjoyed seeing the M578 and got a few videos of you driving past our camp which I'll post asap ! Very impressive old beast ! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

not to derail this thread, but yes the Humber project is coming alonge nicely, most of the parts have been blasted ore needlegun and painted, and the rebuild of the frame will begin soon. I havnt got any recent pictures, as I have been VERY busy with my bachelor project at uni, but I am handing that in next week, so will finaly have time again to work on the vehicles and take pictures.

Look forward to seeing some Humber pictures Niels!

Sorry everyone, Back to M578s! Are they around, or fairly scarce?

As I was leaving War and Peace on the Friday, there was a really nice one parked up on the exit road. I think they're a nice bit of kit, and Ive never owned anything tracked.........

A number of M578 have been sold in Denmark now, and i think a couple have been exported.

its a nice bit of kit to have when your working on tanks and the big stuff. But they are not very good at pulling things due to the light weight.

We had an accident at a show in denmark, where a Abbot skidet in to overgrown ditch and flip over, they tried to pull it, on to its tracks and up with a M578, but tracks on the m578 just spun. then they tried a Centurion with a better result.

Saw this one going around the arena a few times - it looked and sounded very,very, good!! :) :yay: :)

Did anybody get any video of it in the arena as when you are driving it you do not get the sound that you hear outside the vehicle ?

John.

A number of M578 have been sold in Denmark now, and i think a couple have been exported.

its a nice bit of kit to have when your working on tanks and the big stuff. But they are not very good at pulling things due to the light weight.

We had an accident at a show in denmark, where a Abbot skidet in to overgrown ditch and flip over, they tried to pull it, on to its tracks and up with a M578, but tracks on the m578 just spun. then they tried a Centurion with a better result.

That is why they are equipped with a 27 tonne winch and a ground anchor, when the spade is emplaced they will pull a massive ammount.

John.

Did anybody get any video of it in the arena as when you are driving it you do not get the sound that you hear outside the vehicle ?

John.

Sorry John - the interior of an OT-90 does not lend itself to carrying the cam-corder. At least - not if you want it to be in one peice at the end of the session! :)

It's a good point you make there about the noise heard though - with the headsets on everything changes.

Sorry John - the interior of an OT-90 does not lend itself to carrying the cam-corder. At least - not if you want it to be in one peice at the end of the session! :)

It's a good point you make there about the noise heard though - with the headsets on everything changes.

That is also an interesting point, here is a picture of my friends legs after he had a ride in the winch operators position in the M578 on the Friday afternoon session in the arena. He was trying to us the camcorder, by Friday I had gained a bit of confidence in driving it at speed and it was now nice and muddy so it was also sliding around a bit, I managed to launch Ian up in the air, he came crashing down again and so did the seat back hiting him in the back of the legs and knocking him to the floor inside the turret. He did manage to keep hold of the camcorder whilst all this was going on, I will post the footage when I get it off him ! His wife who took the pictures when he got back (on the Monday after) was not impressed !!!

Beltring_2009_129a.jpg