Dorset News.... from Essex.... Anyone you know Jack??

Marmite!!

If you want to know what goes on in Dorset read the Local Essex Newspapers :dunno:

Anyone you know Jack :dunno:

width=640 height=789http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/set%202/50a23ad7.jpg[/img]

& from a Dorset paper...

UK — A MOTORIST had a miracle escape today after his car was crushed by an Army tank from Warminster, police said.

The tracked Army personnel carrier, used to transport troops, collided head on with the Citroen BX in Melbury Abbas, Dorset.

The front of the car was completely crushed in the collision on the C13 this morning after 9am.

“The car was a write-off and the male driver was completely uninjured,” a Dorset Police spokesman said.

He added: “In the armoured personnel carrier was a male driver. There were several military personnel on board this armoured personnel carrier which was from Warminster in Wiltshire and I gather it was involved in driver training.”

The 42-year-old car driver from Blandford, Dorset, and the man driving the tank were both shocked but unhurt.

“A miraculous escape for the male car driver from Blandford,” the spokesman added.

Dorset Fire Service and ambulance crews attended and the Army was due to recover the personnel carrier.

wow a close call , luckily both are OK but I wonder if this will have an effect on both driver training rules and if the lawmakers might be pushed to restrict tanks and tracked vehicles as a result?

Shouldn't think so... down that way armour is whizzing about all over the place :-D

The vehicle in the photo is the 432 with a wooden turret they use for tank rides at Beltring. I bet it's the only photo they could find!

Just looked at the photo Chris & it looks nothing like anything I've seen at beltring..

the other story below it is a interesting way to deal with things , when at an impass read a book .Wonder how many people were late as a result :? < you got to believe me boss I was really trying to get to work on time and these two drivers blocked the entire street>

Yes that happened opposite my uncles farm and it was in fact a 432. Lee is also right in the fact that we have a lot of armour driving around here and it is scary stuff - the guy was very lucky and no it wasn't me as this guy was in his 40's :-D

Yes that happened opposite my uncles farm and it was in fact a 432. Lee is also right in the fact that we have a lot of armour driving around here and it is scary stuff - the guy was very lucky and no it wasn't me as this guy was in his 40's :-D

Yes I thought it was far to young to be you Jack :-D

It was an In-service 432, crewed by members of the 3rd Bn Yorkshire Regt under training, according to articles on Dorset news websites. They had just met and passed a lorry, the car was following the lorry and the APC veered across and mounted the bonnet. An Army spokesman said it was reported that the controls had stuck, sounds like the driver might have inadvertantly locked the button on the tiller. Anyhow, just do a Google search, there are a number of hits.

Hi all,

until recently the army was quite often seen carrying out driver training through the town center of Bournemouth, and Boscombe.

It appears quite often that accidents happen with military driver training, also quite recently an (experimental ??) Challenger 2 fell off its trailer just outside of Ringwood on the St. Leonard's road. Luckily no one was injured :sweat:

Ashley

It appears quite often that accidents happen with military driver training, also quite recently an (experimental ??) Challenger 2 fell off its trailer just outside of Ringwood on the St. Leonard's road. Luckily no one was injured :sweat:

Ashley

This one :dunno:

A vehicle transporter carrying an Army tank has overturned on a major route through Dorset, blocking a carriageway and causing long tailbacks.

Two soldiers in the transporter were unhurt when it overturned, spilling 100 litres of fuel onto the A31 at the Palmers Ford roundabout, near Ferndown.

Dorset Police said the tank, a modified Challenger, was being taken to the Royal Armoured Corp at Bovington Camp.

The road was closed for more than 12 hours and reopened on Thursday morning.

A 100-tonne crane had to be brought in to recover both vehicles which were blocking the westbound carriageway.

The modified Challenger armoured repair and recovery tank, which does not have any guns, is normally used to rescue other tanks.

width=203 height=152http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/set%202/de41e249.jpg[/img]

It was an In-service 432, crewed by members of the 3rd Bn Yorkshire Regt under training, according to articles on Dorset news websites. They had just met and passed a lorry, the car was following the lorry and the APC veered across and mounted the bonnet. An Army spokesman said it was reported that the controls had stuck, sounds like the driver might have inadvertantly locked the button on the tiller. Anyhow, just do a Google search, there are a number of hits.

Here's what's left of the car...

width=250 height=171http://images.newsquest.co.uk/image.php?id=731884&type=full[/img]

A BLANDFORD man has told of his lucky escape when an Army tank squashed his car as he was driving to work.

As reported in yesterday's Daily Echo, Paul Taylor, 42, watched in horror as the 20-tonne machine driven by a trainee soldier veered out of control after one of the operating controls jammed.

He sat terrified as the tank mounted the bonnet of his Citroen BX, then his windscreen crumpled under the weight of one of the tracks, quickly followed by the driver's door.

He managed to dive out of the passenger door as the green 432 Army personnel carrier ground to a halt on the car's roof.

The incident happened as Paul was travelling north along the C13 road in Melbury Abbas, near Shaftesbury.

Six soldiers from the 3rd Battalion Yorkshire regiment undergoing training on board the tank were going south.

Miraculously, Paul escaped being crushed by squeezing out of the passenger door, and suffered just a scratch to the back of his right hand.

The tank driver was taken to hospital suffering from shock.

Paul said the whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion.

He said: "I was following a lorry through the village when this tank appeared from around the corner.

"The tank and lorry moved past each other but as it began to approach me it seemed to veer in my direction.

"I thought Oh no, it's going to hit me'.

"It started squashing my car bit by bit, very slowly, it felt like it was in slow motion.

"I sat there thinking does it have any brakes? Do they know I'm here?'."

When he got out, he said he couldn't believe his eyes.

"The whole front of my car was flat with a tank on top of it."

Paul said the incident has now been passed to the insurance companies but there was no way the car could be repaired.

A spokesman for the 43 Wessex Division, at Warminster, Wilts, where the tank is based, said one of the tank's controls had stuck. It was now being inspected to ensure it didn't happen again.

PC Kevin Jones, of Blandford traffic police, said the tank driver was aged in his early 20s.

He said: "It is amazing the driver walked free from the car."