Jeep Transfer box rebuild or not?

Rick W

having taken delivery of a complete engine with transfer box I wondered if there was a way of telling if the transfer needed rebuilding? Would I be opening a can of worms? Would it be best to wait until it was fitted with the gearbox to see if it was OK? (Yes Richard I do still want it!). Are they a weak point in the vehicle. Would you rebuild the transfer as a matter of course like you would for an engine rebuild? :?

From experience, unless you know the history of it, strip it down. if it has been sat up for a while condensation gets it and rusts the bearings a treat. i have also seen plenty that have been run dry, as they tend to leak (a bit!)

On a good note, they are easy to rebuild and the bearings are readily available, You will need shims for the main shaft bearings which come in a handy kit from TS Autos.

Baz

Rick,

I agree with Baz, the transfer boxes are prone to oil leaks at the seal behind the parking brake. This is usually due to slack taper bearings in the mainshaft, same as Land Rovers (which as we know are a copy of a jeep), the box should be stripped to check bearings and gears, then reassembled and shimmed up correctly.

Your comment noted, the box is still here!

Richard

Whilst it's out strip it, replace the front and rear seals, you may need to put a little silocone on the splines to make sure no gear oil leaks past. I would also replace the intermediate shaft and bearings, that's normally the wining noise that comes from the transfer box.