What is under the disguise

antarmike

Right first time.. it's 02 SP 27, the one off experimental Antar fitted with the AEC AV1100 dump truck engine, shortly after AEC acquired Thornycroft.

It was rebuilt and rebadged as a "MegaTug" and served on Manchester Airport until it was scrapped. A second though conventional Mk 3 also served at manchester and is now Owned by Brian Bailey. Well done.

Right first time.. it's 02 SP 27, the one off experimental Antar fitted with the AEC AV1100 dump truck engine, shortly after AEC acquired Thornycroft.

Thanks Mike,

I thought the engine covers right behind the cab, were cut down from original Antar ones, of course this particular vehicle had a longer chassis in front of the front axle. Makes me wonder if the radiator was moved to rear of engine?

Richard

The pulling and pushing of these tugs is phenomenal!! used to watch them when working airside at Gatwick, never got to drive one though :cry: The rule airside is NEVER EVER EVER drive behind an aircraft that has the anti collision beacons going. One idiot did that at Gatwick just as the aircraft was being pushed back. The tug stopped and the nose wheel leg of the A/C collapsed. driver was facing unlimited fine and up to 5 years in prison :shake:

Abn, you would run out of Zero's. If memory serves it was a 737. One oddity of those aircraft, at least BA's is that on the outside cover for the wing lights are the instructions, 'Instructions on opening this flap inside'. :dunno: In UK driving offences airside are covered by Health and Saftey legislation hence unlimited fine and up to 5 years in prision.

Brian sold one of his Antars to a museum in Australia - the Snowy Mountain project, or something like that.

I had a great day at his place several years ago with the Antars, a Militant and an ex Bermuda fire truck. He's since added a Centurion, another Militant and a 432 and I think he has a trailer to make a full rig with the Cent and the Antar.