Our new project...

So, cutting a very long story short. After 7 months of negotiating and red tape and transport issues we have managed to buy and import (From France via Holland) another Commer to our collection. We have already restored a 1942 Commer Q2 30cwt but once we were pointed in the direction of this one we pulled out all the stops to save her and bring her back to the UK.

She's a 1944/5 Commer Q2 6 cylinder 15cwt AM Load Carrier (Q2).

She is in a pretty poor state, the engine is seized, she requires welding to most panels and she will obviously need a body to be built and a full chassis up restoration. But, most importantly, she is saved and being such a rare truck its important that we restore her back to her original guise.

There are a lot of different features on this truck compared to our earlier model so although both Q2's and only a couple years apart they are very different.

20240309_084951.jpg

Edited by Rootes75
  • Like 18

Posted (edited)

Just a couple more photos..

20240309_084923

The plate you can see on the back of the cab are backing plates for gun racks fitted in the cab.

20240309_085534

She looks better on the outside. The lower 2 to 3 inches of the cab and lower 4 to 5 inches of the inner doors are pretty much shot. Both bonnet sides need sections re-fabricated as does the grill surround. Internally the windscreen frames are rusted through so will also need re-fabricating.

20240309_080514

Edited by Rootes75
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Well, this morning we have had a really good look round and explore of the Commer. She definitely isn't a pre Heater Truck. No pto driven belts.

We were confused as she has a compressor fitted on the side of the gearbox, that's what initially made us wonder about the heater truck possibility. But she isn't. 

I have had a good look through all my later war Q4 3 tonner manuals and have found the compressor is actually a tyre pump compressor, it's only in my manuals from 1944 onwards, that's why we didn't recognise the set up.

Edited by Rootes75
  • Like 3

One other major find today though was the chassis plate in the cab that was completely unreadable due to rust and muck etc...well after an hour or two of extremely delicate cleaning we have managed to read all of the writing on it...

Biggest surprise is that it gives the Contract Number (the plate on our 1942 Commer does not)...

So we can at least date the lorry to it's Contract, the contract being issued May 1944.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kevin, I'm happy to hear you were able to successfully follow up on my leads and made good use of my reconnaissance work over in France.

Yes, it is rusty but it is rare and it is very complete down to two instruction plates and gun clamps inside the cab. Here are some photos I made during my recce trip.

Good luck with the restoration! 

P1170750.thumb.jpg.09f3913c1ae57004f0c43df4ddfd0a7a.jpg

IMG_7312.thumb.jpg.7964cbb1a93642e4910b4e7e03b485b4.jpg

• Like 2